Re: Forcing myself to learn vim properly

  • BPJ
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 9 11:36 AM
      On 2013-04-08 19:03, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
      > One of the great plus-points of Vim is that in many cases there
      > are several ways to achieve the same result. IOW, the "proper" way
      > to use Vim is not the one and only way "the teacher" uses it: it
      > is whatever way suits you best.

      Thanks for saying that!

      > Yes, as Marc said, a lot of different motions are documented in
      > the motion.txt helpfile; and don't let keyboard fanatics sway you.
      > Yes, the ability to do everything by keyboard alone is great; but
      > sometimes the fastest way to go to a random point in the current
      > window is just to click on it.

      I have cerebral palsy and have *real* difficulties
      using a mouse effectively, yet I'm no keyboard fanatic:
      I have a marble mouse placed in front of my right
      hand's resting position and I use it for quick
      navigation,for scrolling and for click-pasting even in
      Vim (gvim in my case).

      > hjkl and ←↓↑→ do the same thing: some people take that as an
      > argument to shun the arrow keys. I have a different take on this:
      > with the following mappings:
      >
      > map <Down> gj
      > map <Up> gk
      >
      > ↓ and ↑ (in Normal mode) move by "screen lines", leaving j and k
      > to move by "file lines". This is particularly useful if 'wrap' is
      > set, which is what I use.

      Clever! I however use a Dvorak keyboard, and having
      given up on remapping everything around early on hjkl
      don't make much sense, so I use ←↓↑→ which happen to be
      right above said mouse. Besides I can't effectively use
      my pinky fingers! I don't think I do things wrong, nor
      is it right for me only because of my disability. I'm
      doing what works best for me. Period.

      I think I'll do this though, even though I mostly hardwrap:

      map <C-Down> gj
      map <C-Up> gk

      /bpj

    • Anthony Campbell
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 10 1:21 AM
        On 08 Apr 2013, Marc Weber wrote:

        > The fastest solution is
        >
        > for x in ['jjj','kkk']
        > exec 'noremap '.x.' :echoe "stop doing this!<cr>'
        > endfor
        >
        > or such. Don't let you stop typing when no action happens. ji still
        > works while vim is waiting for more keys to find out whether you're
        > going to type jjj.
        >
        > Marc Weber

        I couldn't get this to work. I do suffer from the jjj problem.
        I've tried several solutions; the most effective is to do

        inoremap jj <Esc>

        and so on, but it has the disadvantage that whenever I type h,j,k,l in
        Insert mode there is a slight but annoying pause while vim waits to see
        if there are going to repetitions.

        I also tried a Tip to make vim return to Normal mode automatically after
        an interval:

        au InsertEnter * let updaterestore=&updatetime | set updatetime=25000
        au InsertLeave * let &updatetime=updaterestore

        But I found that annoying too. I came to the conclusion that there is
        no really satisfactory way to avoid the problem apart from vigilance.

        --
        Anthony Campbell - ac@...
        http://www.acampbell.org.uk

      • lordkrandel
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 10 1:46 AM
          On 08/04/2013 16:49, Marc Weber wrote:
          > :h motion.txt will tell you many ways and there are some more useful
          > plugins.

          I agree. Vim allows motion in several ways, and there is no "right" way
          to do things.
          You can move the cursor down with any of the following and more:
          single line: j
          several lines: 4j
          page: ^f
          half page: ^d
          words: 6w
          paragraphs: 3(
          absolute line number: :34
          relative line number: :-3
          search: /regex
          file percentage: 50%

          If I have to browse documentation, I really like to have <Space> act as
          <PgDn>
          just like browsers and "man" do, because the spacebar is such a
          comfortable key.

          --
          Wyrmskull