Re: Vim on the iPad

  • stosss
    Message 1 of 57 , Apr 3, 2013
      Hi Eric,

      That is one of the very reasons that the Open Source Software community came about. There are hundreds of thousands (maybe several million by now) of people that disagree with the proprietary corporate ways of locking and controlling what you can and can't do on a computer. Apple almost did themselves in a few decades ago with their stubborn proprietary ways. Microsoft took advantage of that and became the mega corporation that they are now. Some how Apple manged to recover from their proprietary lock you out of everything policy. The bigger the corporation the more they don't care about the individual.

      For the last 10 years I have only used Linux and no proprietary systems.

      On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Eric Weir <eeweir@...> wrote:

      On Mar 20, 2013, at 8:22 AM, Jeroen Budts wrote:

      > 2) Cut and paste between apps on Android is very easy. Tap-and-hold a
      > piece of text and a small toolbar pops-up where you can select cut/copy.
      > Then in another app you can tap-and-hold in a textfield and a paste
      > button will show up. In Vimtouch you can use the default paste registers
      > (*/+) to paste from and copy to the system clipboard.
      >
      > (3) The latest Vimtouch release (2.3, released yesterday) now uses some
      > standaard Android interface to open files which let you choose files
      > from other apps. This even allows you to immediately select a file from
      > your Dropbox. A really nice improvement. I guess if you use SugarSync,
      > it would also show up in that dialog.

      Since getting my iPad, Jeroen, I haven spent very little time on my laptop. Before getting the iPad most of my time on the laptop was spent in Vim, primarily VimWiki. I really miss them. Even feel a little crippled without them. Seriously thinking about investing in a Nexus 10 just to run Vim.

      The experience with the iPad has really gotten me irritated at Apple. I can understand that for many users locking up the operating system might be a good idea. But when it prevents others from configuring their systems the way they want, from using apps that would otherwise be open to them, it just seems wrong.

      Eric Weir
      Decatur, GA  USA
      eeweir@...

      "Uncertainty is an uncomfortable position,
      but certainty is an absurd one."

      - Voltaire

      "In the days of ancient Rome when the republic was still a republic, Lucius Cassius, one of the city's most venerated consuls, famously coined the phrase cui bono.

      It means As a benefit to whom?, and Lucius Cassius, inquisitive and analytical by nature, was always asking the question... whether he was investigating a crime or unraveling political corruption." - Simon Black

      Like I have always said, "Follow the flow of the money it always reveals the truth."

    • Eric Weir
      Message 57 of 57 , Apr 25, 2013
        Thanks, Jeroen,

        On Apr 23, 2013, at 4:33 PM, Jeroen Budts wrote:

        > On 04/22/2013 03:55 PM, Eric Weir wrote:
        >
        > Maybe try creating a documents folder inside the /storage/emulated/0/
        > directory. I think from inside Vim Touch you will be able to refer to
        > that as ~/documents, so that your existing configuration works.

        Yes, it worked.

        > That mostly depends on your personal preference and the length of your
        > .vimrc file. I try to keep only one .vimrc, but my vimrc is over 600
        > lines, so maintaining multiple copies would be a disaster. I do however
        > also maintain a 'mini-vimrc'-file with the (for me) bare minimum config,
        > which I use on my Raspberry Pi and on servers.

        Ah, you have a Raspberry Pi. You seem to go in for minatures. Except in .vimrcs. Mine is a lot shorter.

        >> With a little more experience with the tablet under my belt I am
        >> still thinking about returning the Nexus 7---I have 14 days from
        >> date of purchase to do so---and exchanging it for a nexus 7. While
        >> I'm impressed with the android apps I've found, I see myself
        >> continuing to do everything but run vim on the ipad. Again, what do
        >> you think?
        >
        > Again this is personal preference. Before the Nexus 7, I had a 10"
        > tablet (from Eken) because I suspected that a 7" would be to small. Now
        > that I have a 7", I actually prefer that because it is much more
        > convenient to take with me.
        > But on the Nexus 7 in landscape mode you only have a few lines available
        > for the content of your file as the keyboard fills up half the screen,
        > as you can see on this screenshot:
        > https://www.dropbox.com/s/576imukfgedxter/Screenshot_2013-04-23-22-20-44.png
        > (I have the font size set to 14pt in Vim Touch).
        > In portrait there is a lot more space, but the hackers keyboard becomes
        > really tiny. On my Nexus 4 (4.7") I use also use the hackers keyboard
        > for Vim Touch but there I use the compact qwerty layout for portrait
        > (it's somewhere in the settings of the keyboard).

        I'm gonna give it a shot on the 7. My vim window on my macbook is pretty small. About 11 X 11 cm. If I can get Vim Touch running satisfactorily and find the 7 too small, I'll get myself another 10.

        Didn't know about the compact qwerty layout.

        Eric Weir
        Decatur, GA
        eeweir@...

        "Everywhere the crisis of the private financial system
        has been transformed into a tale of slovenly and overweening government
        that perpetuates and is perpetuated by a dependent and demanding population."

        - Marilynne Robinson