Re: How to put search result on FIRST screen line

  • Taylor Hedberg
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
      Philip Rhoades, Thu 2013-04-04 @ 07:09:21+1100:
      > What do you mean? How do you map the search and the "zt" command?

      e.g.:

      nnoremap <Leader>n nzt
    • Philip Rhoades
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
        Taylor,

        On 2013-04-04 07:17, Taylor Hedberg wrote:
        > Philip Rhoades, Thu 2013-04-04 @ 07:09:21+1100:
        >> What do you mean? How do you map the search and the "zt" command?
        >
        > e.g.:
        >
        > nnoremap <Leader>n nzt

        That seems to put the searched line in the centre of the screen . . not
        the first line of the screen.

        Thanks,

        Phil.
        --
        Philip Rhoades

        GPO Box 3411
        Sydney NSW 2001
        Australia
        E-mail: phil@...

      • Taylor Hedberg
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
          Philip Rhoades, Thu 2013-04-04 @ 07:40:47+1100:
          > That seems to put the searched line in the centre of the screen . .
          > not the first line of the screen.

          Not sure why that would be, as `zt` scrolls the cursor line to the top
          of the window. It is working as intended on my machine.
        • Tim Chase
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
            On 2013-04-04 07:40, Philip Rhoades wrote:
            > > nnoremap <Leader>n nzt
            >
            > That seems to put the searched line in the centre of the screen . .
            > not the first line of the screen.

            Do you have a non-default setting (i.e., very large value) for
            'scrolloff'?

            -tim

          • Philip Rhoades
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
              Paul,

              On 2013-04-04 06:57, Paul Isambert wrote:
              >> I want to flick through a large text file with repeated sections of
              >> variable length (but each with four heading lines) so that the the
              >> first
              >> heading line of each section always ends up as the first screen line
              >> -
              >> is there some way of doing this with the search facility?
              >
              > Try something like:
              >
              > noremap <buffer> X /PATTERN<CR>zt:nohl<CR>
              >
              > where PATTERN is whatever matches the first heading line. You can use
              > ? instead
              > of / to jump backward.

              That's it! Excellent!

              Thanks,