Re: How to put search result on FIRST screen line

  • Paul Isambert
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
      > I want to flick through a large text file with repeated sections of
      > variable length (but each with four heading lines) so that the the first
      > heading line of each section always ends up as the first screen line -
      > is there some way of doing this with the search facility?

      Try something like:

      noremap <buffer> X /PATTERN<CR>zt:nohl<CR>

      where PATTERN is whatever matches the first heading line. You can use ? instead
      of / to jump backward.

      Best,
      Paul

    • Philip Rhoades
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
        Kent,

        Thanks but I don't want to do a second command - I want the search
        results on the first screen line after the search . .

        Regards,

        Phil.

        On 2013-04-04 06:47, Kent wrote:
        > i didn't understand your text format very well but
        >
        > zt
        >
        > will move your current line (line under cursor) to screen top. which
        > you may need, to build your command.
        >

        > On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 9:15 PM, Philip Rhoades <phil@...>
        > wrote:
        >> People,
        >>
        >> I want to flick through a large text file with repeated sections of
        >> variable
        >> length (but each with four heading lines) so that the the first
        >> heading line
        >> of each section always ends up as the first screen line - is there
        >> some way
        >> of doing this with the search facility?
        >>
        >> Thanks,
        >>
        >> Phil.
        >> --
        >> Philip Rhoades
        >>
        >> GPO Box 3411
        >> Sydney NSW 2001
        >> Australia
        >> E-mail: phil@...
        >>
        >> --
        >> --

        >> send an
        >> email to vim_use+unsubscribe@....

        Philip Rhoades

        GPO Box 3411
        Sydney NSW 2001
        Australia
        E-mail: phil@...

      • Christian Brabandt
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
          Hi Philip!

          (Please don't top poste).

          On Do, 04 Apr 2013, Philip Rhoades wrote:

          > Kent,
          >
          > Thanks but I don't want to do a second command - I want the search
          > results on the first screen line after the search . .

          Then map it to your favorite key
          .
          Mit freundlichen Grüßen
          Christian
          --
          Letzte Worte des Anstreichers:
          "Aber sicher ist das Gerüst stabil."

        • Philip Rhoades
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
            Christian,

            On 2013-04-04 07:03, Christian Brabandt wrote:
            > Hi Philip!
            >
            > (Please don't top poste).

            I usually don't but Kent did when he replied to my original post so I
            had to follow suit otherwise my reply to Kent would have been hard to
            read . .

            > On Do, 04 Apr 2013, Philip Rhoades wrote:
            >
            >> Kent,
            >>
            >> Thanks but I don't want to do a second command - I want the search
            >> results on the first screen line after the search . .
            >
            > Then map it to your favorite key

            What do you mean? How do you map the search and the "zt" command?

            Thanks,

            Phil.
            --
            Philip Rhoades

            GPO Box 3411
            Sydney NSWW 2001
            Australia
            E-mail: phil@...

          • Taylor Hedberg
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
              Philip Rhoades, Thu 2013-04-04 @ 07:09:21+1100:
              > What do you mean? How do you map the search and the "zt" command?

              e.g.:

              nnoremap <Leader>n nzt
            • Philip Rhoades
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
                Taylor,

                On 2013-04-04 07:17, Taylor Hedberg wrote:
                > Philip Rhoades, Thu 2013-04-04 @ 07:09:21+1100:
                >> What do you mean? How do you map the search and the "zt" command?
                >
                > e.g.:
                >
                > nnoremap <Leader>n nzt

                That seems to put the searched line in the centre of the screen . . not
                the first line of the screen.

                Thanks,

                Phil.
                --
                Philip Rhoades

                GPO Box 3411
                Sydney NSW 2001
                Australia
                E-mail: phil@...

              • Taylor Hedberg
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
                  Philip Rhoades, Thu 2013-04-04 @ 07:40:47+1100:
                  > That seems to put the searched line in the centre of the screen . .
                  > not the first line of the screen.

                  Not sure why that would be, as `zt` scrolls the cursor line to the top
                  of the window. It is working as intended on my machine.
                • Tim Chase
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
                    On 2013-04-04 07:40, Philip Rhoades wrote:
                    > > nnoremap <Leader>n nzt
                    >
                    > That seems to put the searched line in the centre of the screen . .
                    > not the first line of the screen.

                    Do you have a non-default setting (i.e., very large value) for
                    'scrolloff'?

                    -tim

                  • Philip Rhoades
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
                      Paul,

                      On 2013-04-04 06:57, Paul Isambert wrote:
                      >> I want to flick through a large text file with repeated sections of
                      >> variable length (but each with four heading lines) so that the the
                      >> first
                      >> heading line of each section always ends up as the first screen line
                      >> -
                      >> is there some way of doing this with the search facility?
                      >
                      > Try something like:
                      >
                      > noremap <buffer> X /PATTERN<CR>zt:nohl<CR>
                      >
                      > where PATTERN is whatever matches the first heading line. You can use
                      > ? instead
                      > of / to jump backward.

                      That's it! Excellent!

                      Thanks,