Re: How to put search result on FIRST screen line

  • Kent
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
      i didn't understand your text format very well but

      zt

      will move your current line (line under cursor) to screen top. which
      you may need, to build your command.

      On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 9:15 PM, Philip Rhoades <phil@...> wrote:
      > People,
      >
      > I want to flick through a large text file with repeated sections of variable
      > length (but each with four heading lines) so that the the first heading line
      > of each section always ends up as the first screen line - is there some way
      > of doing this with the search facility?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Phil.
      > --
      > Philip Rhoades
      >
      > GPO Box 3411
      > Sydney NSW 2001
      > Australia
      > E-mail: phil@...

    • Paul Isambert
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
        > I want to flick through a large text file with repeated sections of
        > variable length (but each with four heading lines) so that the the first
        > heading line of each section always ends up as the first screen line -
        > is there some way of doing this with the search facility?

        Try something like:

        noremap <buffer> X /PATTERN<CR>zt:nohl<CR>

        where PATTERN is whatever matches the first heading line. You can use ? instead
        of / to jump backward.

        Best,
        Paul

      • Philip Rhoades
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
          Kent,

          Thanks but I don't want to do a second command - I want the search
          results on the first screen line after the search . .

          Regards,

          Phil.

          On 2013-04-04 06:47, Kent wrote:
          > i didn't understand your text format very well but
          >
          > zt
          >
          > will move your current line (line under cursor) to screen top. which
          > you may need, to build your command.
          >

          > On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 9:15 PM, Philip Rhoades <phil@...>
          > wrote:
          >> People,
          >>
          >> I want to flick through a large text file with repeated sections of
          >> variable
          >> length (but each with four heading lines) so that the the first
          >> heading line
          >> of each section always ends up as the first screen line - is there
          >> some way
          >> of doing this with the search facility?
          >>
          >> Thanks,
          >>
          >> Phil.
          >> --
          >> Philip Rhoades
          >>
          >> GPO Box 3411
          >> Sydney NSW 2001
          >> Australia
          >> E-mail: phil@...
          >>
          >> --
          >> --

          >> send an
          >> email to vim_use+unsubscribe@....

          Philip Rhoades

          GPO Box 3411
          Sydney NSW 2001
          Australia
          E-mail: phil@...

        • Christian Brabandt
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
            Hi Philip!

            (Please don't top poste).

            On Do, 04 Apr 2013, Philip Rhoades wrote:

            > Kent,
            >
            > Thanks but I don't want to do a second command - I want the search
            > results on the first screen line after the search . .

            Then map it to your favorite key
            .
            Mit freundlichen Grüßen
            Christian
            --
            Letzte Worte des Anstreichers:
            "Aber sicher ist das Gerüst stabil."

          • Philip Rhoades
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
              Christian,

              On 2013-04-04 07:03, Christian Brabandt wrote:
              > Hi Philip!
              >
              > (Please don't top poste).

              I usually don't but Kent did when he replied to my original post so I
              had to follow suit otherwise my reply to Kent would have been hard to
              read . .

              > On Do, 04 Apr 2013, Philip Rhoades wrote:
              >
              >> Kent,
              >>
              >> Thanks but I don't want to do a second command - I want the search
              >> results on the first screen line after the search . .
              >
              > Then map it to your favorite key

              What do you mean? How do you map the search and the "zt" command?

              Thanks,

              Phil.
              --
              Philip Rhoades

              GPO Box 3411
              Sydney NSWW 2001
              Australia
              E-mail: phil@...

            • Taylor Hedberg
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
                Philip Rhoades, Thu 2013-04-04 @ 07:09:21+1100:
                > What do you mean? How do you map the search and the "zt" command?

                e.g.:

                nnoremap <Leader>n nzt
              • Philip Rhoades
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
                  Taylor,

                  On 2013-04-04 07:17, Taylor Hedberg wrote:
                  > Philip Rhoades, Thu 2013-04-04 @ 07:09:21+1100:
                  >> What do you mean? How do you map the search and the "zt" command?
                  >
                  > e.g.:
                  >
                  > nnoremap <Leader>n nzt

                  That seems to put the searched line in the centre of the screen . . not
                  the first line of the screen.

                  Thanks,

                  Phil.
                  --
                  Philip Rhoades

                  GPO Box 3411
                  Sydney NSW 2001
                  Australia
                  E-mail: phil@...

                • Taylor Hedberg
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
                    Philip Rhoades, Thu 2013-04-04 @ 07:40:47+1100:
                    > That seems to put the searched line in the centre of the screen . .
                    > not the first line of the screen.

                    Not sure why that would be, as `zt` scrolls the cursor line to the top
                    of the window. It is working as intended on my machine.
                  • Tim Chase
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
                      On 2013-04-04 07:40, Philip Rhoades wrote:
                      > > nnoremap <Leader>n nzt
                      >
                      > That seems to put the searched line in the centre of the screen . .
                      > not the first line of the screen.

                      Do you have a non-default setting (i.e., very large value) for
                      'scrolloff'?

                      -tim

                    • Philip Rhoades
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
                        Paul,

                        On 2013-04-04 06:57, Paul Isambert wrote:
                        >> I want to flick through a large text file with repeated sections of
                        >> variable length (but each with four heading lines) so that the the
                        >> first
                        >> heading line of each section always ends up as the first screen line
                        >> -
                        >> is there some way of doing this with the search facility?
                        >
                        > Try something like:
                        >
                        > noremap <buffer> X /PATTERN<CR>zt:nohl<CR>
                        >
                        > where PATTERN is whatever matches the first heading line. You can use
                        > ? instead
                        > of / to jump backward.

                        That's it! Excellent!

                        Thanks,