How to determine where Vim will be writing special files?

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2013
      I'm trying to write a plugin that will set the 'hidden' attribute in
      Windows for:
      swap files
      undo files
      backup files
      viminfo file

      Undo files have a nice undofile() function, and swap files have the
      :swapname command (although that isn't as nice). Is there a similar way
      to get the file name that will be used for the backup file, other than
      parsing the 'backupdir' option? How about the .viminfo file? The help
      pages list how the default directory is determined, but the user can
      still use the -i option to override it.