clicking to open folds in Gui?

  • Linda W
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2013
      Is there an option or .vim addon that would allow me to click
      on the plus of a folded section and have it expand it?

      Closing might not be as intuitive -- if using fold method
      marker (#{{{1), maybe clicking on that marker would close it?

      It's just that I saw the + there on a fold and it looked like
      those graphs that you can click on to expand that section...and wondered
      if there was anything in vim that could do that...

      Thanks...

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2, 2013
        On Tuesday, April 2, 2013 12:15:12 PM UTC-5, Linda W wrote:
        > Is there an option or .vim addon that would allow me to click
        >
        > on the plus of a folded section and have it expand it?
        >

        > Closing might not be as intuitive -- if using fold method
        >
        > marker (#{{{1), maybe clicking on that marker would close it?
        >

        > It's just that I saw the + there on a fold and it looked like
        >
        > those graphs that you can click on to expand that section...and wondered
        >
        > if there was anything in vim that could do that...

        I think you're looking for the 'foldcolumn' option. Clicking the + or - in the column displayed when this option is set to non-zero will expand or collapse folds.

      • Christian Brabandt
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2, 2013
          Hi Linda!

          On Di, 02 Apr 2013, Linda W wrote:

          > Is there an option or .vim addon that would allow me to click
          > on the plus of a folded section and have it expand it?
          >
          > Closing might not be as intuitive -- if using fold method
          > marker (#{{{1), maybe clicking on that marker would close it?
          >
          > It's just that I saw the + there on a fold and it looked like
          > those graphs that you can click on to expand that section...and wondered
          > if there was anything in vim that could do that...

          You can, if you set the foldcolumn option to some value larger than
          zero. A click there will close an open fold and open a closed fold. See
          also the documentation at :h fold-foldcolumn

          regards,
          Christian
          --
          Wie sich die Gegens├Ątze gleichen!
          -- Alfred Polgar

        • Charles Campbell
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 2, 2013
            Ben Fritz wrote:
            > On Tuesday, April 2, 2013 12:15:12 PM UTC-5, Linda W wrote:
            >> Is there an option or .vim addon that would allow me to click
            >>
            >> on the plus of a folded section and have it expand it?
            >>

            >> Closing might not be as intuitive -- if using fold method
            >>
            >> marker (#{{{1), maybe clicking on that marker would close it?
            >>

            >> It's just that I saw the + there on a fold and it looked like
            >>
            >> those graphs that you can click on to expand that section...and wondered
            >>
            >> if there was anything in vim that could do that...
            >>
            > I think you're looking for the 'foldcolumn' option. Clicking the + or - in the column displayed when this option is set to non-zero will expand or collapse folds.

            Hello!

            I use the following mapping:

            nno <silent> <space> :exe 'silent! normal! '.((foldclosed('.')>0)?
            'zMzx' : 'zc')<cr>

            Its not a click mapping, obviously -- but it makes the space bar a
            toggle for the folding under the cursor. I suppose that instead of
            <space> one could put <leftmouse> or whatever.

            Regards,
            C Campbell

          • Linda W
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 2, 2013

              Christian Brabandt wrote:
              > You can, if you set the foldcolumn option to some value larger than
              > zero. A click there will close an open fold and open a closed fold. See
              > also the documentation at :h fold-foldcolumn
              > regards,
              > Christian

              ----
              Yes and no -- there was an existing + displayed where the fold was
              that didn't take
              an extra column that I was wanting to click on.

              However, the fold-column option offers other benefits in navigation, so
              it might suit me better! I'll have to play w/it and see how it grows on
              me...

              Thanks!

              Charles Campbell wrote:
              > nno <silent> <space> :exe 'silent! normal!
              > '.((foldclosed('.')>0)? 'zMzx' : 'zc')<cr>
              > I suppose that instead of <space> one could put <leftmouse> or whatever.

              (and maybe I'll throw in that space bar mapping too, just for kicks on a
              mouseclick...
              ;->

            • tooth pik
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 2, 2013
                On Tue, Apr 02, 2013 at 04:19:50PM -0700, Linda W wrote:

                > Ben Fritz wrote:
                > Christian Brabandt wrote:
                > Charles Campbell wrote:
                > > nno <silent> <space> :exe 'silent! normal!
                > > '.((foldclosed('.')>0)? 'zMzx' : 'zc')<cr>
                > > I suppose that instead of <space> one could put <leftmouse> or whatever.

                > (and maybe I'll throw in that space bar mapping too, just for kicks on a
                > mouseclick...
                > ;->

                I can vouch for the space mapping -- I've been using it for a looong
                time and it's great

              • AK
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 2, 2013
                  On 04/02/2013 02:17 PM, Charles Campbell wrote:
                  > I use the following mapping:
                  >
                  > nno <silent> <space> :exe 'silent! normal! '.((foldclosed('.')>0)?
                  > 'zMzx' : 'zc')<cr>
                  >
                  > Its not a click mapping, obviously -- but it makes the space bar a
                  > toggle for the folding under the cursor. I suppose that instead of
                  > <space> one could put <leftmouse> or whatever.

                  I actually would love to use mouse click for that, BUT:

                  1. it doesn't work for me, instead moving 1 char to the right, like l.

                  2. if I get it to work, how can I make it behave as a normal click when
                  it's not on a fold?

                  Thanks! -ak

                • Charles Campbell
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 3, 2013
                    AK wrote:
                    > On 04/02/2013 02:17 PM, Charles Campbell wrote:
                    >> I use the following mapping:
                    >>
                    >> nno <silent> <space> :exe 'silent! normal! '.((foldclosed('.')>0)?
                    >> 'zMzx' : 'zc')<cr>
                    >>
                    >> Its not a click mapping, obviously -- but it makes the space bar a
                    >> toggle for the folding under the cursor. I suppose that instead of
                    >> <space> one could put <leftmouse> or whatever.
                    >

                    > I actually would love to use mouse click for that, BUT:
                    >
                    > 1. it doesn't work for me, instead moving 1 char to the right, like l.
                    >
                    > 2. if I get it to work, how can I make it behave as a normal click when
                    > it's not on a fold?
                    >
                    > Thanks! -ak

                    The following variant will support leftmouse clicks to toggle folds:
                    '.((foldclosed('.')>0)? 'zMzx' : 'zc')<cr>:norm! z.<cr>

                    The following variant supports leftmouse clicks when on folds, and does
                    nothing when not in a fold: (ie. it doesn't toggle, and also centers
                    the fold)
                    '.((foldclosed('.')>0)? 'zMzxz.' : '')<cr>

                    Regards,
                    C Campbell

                  • Charles Campbell
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 3, 2013
                      Here's another fold-related mapping I use:

                      nno <silent> <c-space> :SWP<cr>[[:let b:topfunc= line(".")<cr>][:let
                      b:botfunc= line(".")<cr>:exe b:topfunc "," b:botfunc "foldo"<bar>unlet
                      b:topfunc b:botfunc<bar>RWP<cr>

                      You'll need my cecutil plugin, though: see
                      http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#CECUTIL . What it does,
                      using a comment I have in my .vimrc:

                      " <c-space>: open all folds between [[ to ][ (ie. unfold the current
                      function)

                      Regards,
                      C Campbell