Re: gVim Hanging/Freezing When Closing

  • kballou
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2013
      On Friday, March 29, 2013 11:45:32 AM UTC-6, Charles Campbell wrote:
      > Christian Brabandt wrote:
      >
      > > Hi Kenny!
      >

      > > On Do, 28 M�r 2013, Kenny Ballou wrote:
      >

      > >> Hey all.
      >

      > >> I haven't found anything on this, and it might be relatively new (i.e., new
      >
      > >> kernel/ new vim release); but I am having an issue with gvim hanging when I try
      >
      > >> to close. That is, the gvim window is clearly _trying_ to close (doesn't
      >
      > >> redraw, no longer responds to commands, etc.) but can't, stuck waiting for ...
      >
      > >> something.
      >

      > >> Behavior or characteristics I have discovered so far.
      >

      > >> * Happens with a file in buffer or without
      >

      > >> * Only happens when launched from system launcher (e.g., Alt-F2) or from a
      >
      > >> shell
      >

      > >> * Does *not* happen when launched by double-clicking a file in a file manager
      >

      > >> - Tested with Dolphin and Krusader
      >

      > >> * Frozen gvim windows have wait channel of `futex_`
      >

      > >> * Is local to gvim; vim is unaffected
      >

      > >> I'm not sure what needs to be done to further debug this and/or fix. This
      >
      > >> happens on both of my main working machines and only started recently (in which
      >
      > >> time I have had a vim update and a kernel update).
      >

      > >> Other relevant information (both machines):
      >

      > >> * KDE 4.10.1 with Openbox (3.5.0-7) window manager
      >

      > >> * See bugreport.txt
      >

      > >> Thanks in advance for any help and/or insight anyone can provide.
      >
      > > You might want to strace it or build gvim with debugging symbols and
      >
      > > attach gdb to it and print a backtrace.
      >

      > Just in case its a plugin or otherwise doing something when an autocmd
      >
      > is firing, try
      >
      > :set verbose=20
      >

      > just before closing. You should see what commands are being executed
      >
      > and where gvim is hanging.
      >

      > Regards,
      >
      > C Campbell

      C Campbell,

      I finally got a chance to try your suggestion and have found that poweline (the new python version) is at fault and the problem is an already open issue for the project (https://github.com/Lokaltog/powerline/issues/371).

      I will have to either downgrade powerline or disable it entirely, for now.

      Thanks,
      --Kenny