Re: Register overwritten only when clipboard=unnamed

  • Christian Brabandt
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 29, 2013
      Hi kyungk!

      Please don't top poste.

      On Fr, 29 Mär 2013, kyungk@... wrote:

      > I meant yiw not yip. Sorry for the confusion.

      Please, if you want us to help: clearly state, what you did, what you
      expected and what did you observe and at last also include the vim
      version.

      regards,
      Christian
      --
      Verpiß dich kleiner oder deine Zahnbürste greift morgen ins Leere.

    • PARK, Kyung-Kook
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 29, 2013
        On Saturday, March 30, 2013 3:03:45 AM UTC+9, Bee wrote:
        > On Mar 29, 8:26 am, <kyu...@...> wrote:
        >
        > > I am trying to copy & paste a word under the cursor.
        >

        > Are you trying to 'exchange' the word under the cursor with the one on
        >
        > the clipboard?
        >

        > What version of vim?
        >
        > What platform: Windows, Linux, Mac ?
        >

        > Bill

        I am using gVim 7.3 on Windows x64 platform.

        Yes, I want to replace a word at the cursor position by
        another word yanked from a different position.

        I thought viwp followed by yiw and cursor movement is
        a well-known sequence of key strokes for this purpose.
        Sorry for my previous imprecise description.

        With clipboard=unnamed and guioptions=a set,
        I found out there happens a hidden yank between
        viw( visually selecting a word ) and
        p( overwriting the selected visual block with previously yanked word )
        both to the unnamed register and the os clipboard register.

        So it looks like my previously yanked word
        just disappears from the register.
        But I don't think it's a bug or something
        because it operates as specified in
        guioption=autoselect section of vim documentation.

        With guioptions=a unset, this problem has gone.

        Thanks
        Kyung-Kook

      • Charles Campbell
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2013
          PARK, Kyung-Kook wrote:
          > On Saturday, March 30, 2013 3:03:45 AM UTC+9, Bee wrote:
          >> On Mar 29, 8:26 am, <kyu...@...> wrote:
          >>
          >>> I am trying to copy & paste a word under the cursor.
          >>

          >> Are you trying to 'exchange' the word under the cursor with the one on
          >>
          >> the clipboard?
          >>

          >> What version of vim?
          >>
          >> What platform: Windows, Linux, Mac ?
          >>

          >> Bill
          > I am using gVim 7.3 on Windows x64 platform.
          >
          > Yes, I want to replace a word at the cursor position by
          > another word yanked from a different position.

          Then you might like visswap.vim.

          You can get visswap from:

          http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#VISSWAP

          Quick overview: swapping text using visual mode

          Use visual mode (any of the three) to select some text; press ctrl-y .
          Use visual mode (any of the three) to select some other text; press
          ctrl-x .

          I think of ctrl-y as my "yank" step and ctrl-x as my "exchange" step.

          To install if you're using vim7.1 or later:

          Install a new version of visswap:
          vim visswap.vba.gz
          :so %
          :q