Re: Register overwritten only when clipboard=unnamed

  • Bee
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 29 11:03 AM
      On Mar 29, 8:26 am, <kyu...@...> wrote:
      > I am trying to copy & paste a word under the cursor.

      Are you trying to 'exchange' the word under the cursor with the one on
      the clipboard?

      What version of vim?
      What platform: Windows, Linux, Mac ?

      Bill

    • Christian Brabandt
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 29 12:18 PM
        Hi kyungk!

        Please don't top poste.

        On Fr, 29 Mär 2013, kyungk@... wrote:

        > I meant yiw not yip. Sorry for the confusion.

        Please, if you want us to help: clearly state, what you did, what you
        expected and what did you observe and at last also include the vim
        version.

        regards,
        Christian
        --
        Verpiß dich kleiner oder deine Zahnbürste greift morgen ins Leere.

      • PARK, Kyung-Kook
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 29 8:51 PM
          On Saturday, March 30, 2013 3:03:45 AM UTC+9, Bee wrote:
          > On Mar 29, 8:26 am, <kyu...@...> wrote:
          >
          > > I am trying to copy & paste a word under the cursor.
          >

          > Are you trying to 'exchange' the word under the cursor with the one on
          >
          > the clipboard?
          >

          > What version of vim?
          >
          > What platform: Windows, Linux, Mac ?
          >

          > Bill

          I am using gVim 7.3 on Windows x64 platform.

          Yes, I want to replace a word at the cursor position by
          another word yanked from a different position.

          I thought viwp followed by yiw and cursor movement is
          a well-known sequence of key strokes for this purpose.
          Sorry for my previous imprecise description.

          With clipboard=unnamed and guioptions=a set,
          I found out there happens a hidden yank between
          viw( visually selecting a word ) and
          p( overwriting the selected visual block with previously yanked word )
          both to the unnamed register and the os clipboard register.

          So it looks like my previously yanked word
          just disappears from the register.
          But I don't think it's a bug or something
          because it operates as specified in
          guioption=autoselect section of vim documentation.

          With guioptions=a unset, this problem has gone.

          Thanks
          Kyung-Kook

        • Charles Campbell
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1, 2013
            PARK, Kyung-Kook wrote:
            > On Saturday, March 30, 2013 3:03:45 AM UTC+9, Bee wrote:
            >> On Mar 29, 8:26 am, <kyu...@...> wrote:
            >>
            >>> I am trying to copy & paste a word under the cursor.
            >>

            >> Are you trying to 'exchange' the word under the cursor with the one on
            >>
            >> the clipboard?
            >>

            >> What version of vim?
            >>
            >> What platform: Windows, Linux, Mac ?
            >>

            >> Bill
            > I am using gVim 7.3 on Windows x64 platform.
            >
            > Yes, I want to replace a word at the cursor position by
            > another word yanked from a different position.

            Then you might like visswap.vim.

            You can get visswap from:

            http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#VISSWAP

            Quick overview: swapping text using visual mode

            Use visual mode (any of the three) to select some text; press ctrl-y .
            Use visual mode (any of the three) to select some other text; press
            ctrl-x .

            I think of ctrl-y as my "yank" step and ctrl-x as my "exchange" step.

            To install if you're using vim7.1 or later:

            Install a new version of visswap:
            vim visswap.vba.gz
            :so %
            :q