Re: gVim Hanging/Freezing When Closing

  • Christian Brabandt
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 29, 2013
      Hi Kenny!

      On Do, 28 Mär 2013, Kenny Ballou wrote:

      > Hey all.
      >
      > I haven't found anything on this, and it might be relatively new (i.e., new
      > kernel/ new vim release); but I am having an issue with gvim hanging when I try
      > to close. That is, the gvim window is clearly _trying_ to close (doesn't
      > redraw, no longer responds to commands, etc.) but can't, stuck waiting for ...
      > something.
      >
      > Behavior or characteristics I have discovered so far.
      >
      > * Happens with a file in buffer or without
      >
      > * Only happens when launched from system launcher (e.g., Alt-F2) or from a
      > shell
      >
      > * Does *not* happen when launched by double-clicking a file in a file manager
      >
      > - Tested with Dolphin and Krusader
      >
      > * Frozen gvim windows have wait channel of `futex_`
      >
      > * Is local to gvim; vim is unaffected
      >
      > I'm not sure what needs to be done to further debug this and/or fix. This
      > happens on both of my main working machines and only started recently (in which
      > time I have had a vim update and a kernel update).
      >
      > Other relevant information (both machines):
      >
      > * KDE 4.10.1 with Openbox (3.5.0-7) window manager
      >
      > * See bugreport.txt
      >
      > Thanks in advance for any help and/or insight anyone can provide.

      You might want to strace it or build gvim with debugging symbols and
      attach gdb to it and print a backtrace.

      Mit freundlichen Grüßen
      Christian
      --
      Alle Stärke liegt innen, nicht außen.
      -- Jean Paul (eig. Johann Paul Friedrich Richter)

    • Charles Campbell
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 29, 2013
        Christian Brabandt wrote:
        > Hi Kenny!
        >
        > On Do, 28 Mär 2013, Kenny Ballou wrote:
        >
        >> Hey all.
        >>
        >> I haven't found anything on this, and it might be relatively new (i.e., new
        >> kernel/ new vim release); but I am having an issue with gvim hanging when I try
        >> to close. That is, the gvim window is clearly _trying_ to close (doesn't
        >> redraw, no longer responds to commands, etc.) but can't, stuck waiting for ...
        >> something.
        >>
        >> Behavior or characteristics I have discovered so far.
        >>
        >> * Happens with a file in buffer or without
        >>
        >> * Only happens when launched from system launcher (e.g., Alt-F2) or from a
        >> shell
        >>
        >> * Does *not* happen when launched by double-clicking a file in a file manager
        >>
        >> - Tested with Dolphin and Krusader
        >>
        >> * Frozen gvim windows have wait channel of `futex_`
        >>
        >> * Is local to gvim; vim is unaffected
        >>
        >> I'm not sure what needs to be done to further debug this and/or fix. This
        >> happens on both of my main working machines and only started recently (in which
        >> time I have had a vim update and a kernel update).
        >>
        >> Other relevant information (both machines):
        >>
        >> * KDE 4.10.1 with Openbox (3.5.0-7) window manager
        >>
        >> * See bugreport.txt
        >>
        >> Thanks in advance for any help and/or insight anyone can provide.
        > You might want to strace it or build gvim with debugging symbols and
        > attach gdb to it and print a backtrace.

        Just in case its a plugin or otherwise doing something when an autocmd
        is firing, try
        :set verbose=20

        just before closing. You should see what commands are being executed
        and where gvim is hanging.

        Regards,
        C Campbell

      • kballou
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 31, 2013
          On Friday, March 29, 2013 11:45:32 AM UTC-6, Charles Campbell wrote:
          > Christian Brabandt wrote:
          >
          > > Hi Kenny!
          >

          > > On Do, 28 M�r 2013, Kenny Ballou wrote:
          >

          > >> Hey all.
          >

          > >> I haven't found anything on this, and it might be relatively new (i.e., new
          >
          > >> kernel/ new vim release); but I am having an issue with gvim hanging when I try
          >
          > >> to close. That is, the gvim window is clearly _trying_ to close (doesn't
          >
          > >> redraw, no longer responds to commands, etc.) but can't, stuck waiting for ...
          >
          > >> something.
          >

          > >> Behavior or characteristics I have discovered so far.
          >

          > >> * Happens with a file in buffer or without
          >

          > >> * Only happens when launched from system launcher (e.g., Alt-F2) or from a
          >
          > >> shell
          >

          > >> * Does *not* happen when launched by double-clicking a file in a file manager
          >

          > >> - Tested with Dolphin and Krusader
          >

          > >> * Frozen gvim windows have wait channel of `futex_`
          >

          > >> * Is local to gvim; vim is unaffected
          >

          > >> I'm not sure what needs to be done to further debug this and/or fix. This
          >
          > >> happens on both of my main working machines and only started recently (in which
          >
          > >> time I have had a vim update and a kernel update).
          >

          > >> Other relevant information (both machines):
          >

          > >> * KDE 4.10.1 with Openbox (3.5.0-7) window manager
          >

          > >> * See bugreport.txt
          >

          > >> Thanks in advance for any help and/or insight anyone can provide.
          >
          > > You might want to strace it or build gvim with debugging symbols and
          >
          > > attach gdb to it and print a backtrace.
          >

          > Just in case its a plugin or otherwise doing something when an autocmd
          >
          > is firing, try
          >
          > :set verbose=20
          >

          > just before closing. You should see what commands are being executed
          >
          > and where gvim is hanging.
          >

          > Regards,
          >
          > C Campbell

          C Campbell,

          I finally got a chance to try your suggestion and have found that poweline (the new python version) is at fault and the problem is an already open issue for the project (https://github.com/Lokaltog/powerline/issues/371).

          I will have to either downgrade powerline or disable it entirely, for now.

          Thanks,
          --Kenny