Re: MYVIMRC variable not set when invoked with -u option.

  • Gary Johnson
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 29, 2013
      On 2013-03-28, PARK, Kyung-Kook wrote:
      > What I am trying to do is to set the path variable to something
      > derived from the path of user vimrc file given by -u option so
      > that I can customize vimrc files for different projects. But the
      > thing is that $MYVIMRC or $MYGVIMRC is empty when vimrc is given
      > via -u or -U option. They are correctly set when vim is invoked
      > normally. If I am doing it in wrong way, is there any other
      > correct way?

      The documentation (":help $MYVIMRC") states:

      c. Four places are searched for initializations. The first that
      exists is used, the others are ignored. The $MYVIMRC
      environment variable is set to the file that was first found,
      unless $MYVIMRC was already set and when using VIMINIT.

      So, $MYVIMRC is set to the name of the file that Vim finds by
      searching four particular places, not to the name specified by the
      -u option.

      However, you can obtain the path of your specified vimrc file by
      using expand("<sfile>") within that file.

      :help <sfile>
      :help expand()

      Regards,
      Gary