gVim Hanging/Freezing When Closing

  • Kenny Ballou
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 28, 2013
      Hey all.

      I haven't found anything on this, and it might be relatively new (i.e., new
      kernel/ new vim release); but I am having an issue with gvim hanging when I try
      to close. That is, the gvim window is clearly _trying_ to close (doesn't
      redraw, no longer responds to commands, etc.) but can't, stuck waiting for ...
      something.

      Behavior or characteristics I have discovered so far.

      * Happens with a file in buffer or without

      * Only happens when launched from system launcher (e.g., Alt-F2) or from a
      shell

      * Does *not* happen when launched by double-clicking a file in a file manager

      - Tested with Dolphin and Krusader

      * Frozen gvim windows have wait channel of `futex_`

      * Is local to gvim; vim is unaffected

      I'm not sure what needs to be done to further debug this and/or fix. This
      happens on both of my main working machines and only started recently (in which
      time I have had a vim update and a kernel update).

      Other relevant information (both machines):

      * KDE 4.10.1 with Openbox (3.5.0-7) window manager

      * See bugreport.txt

      Thanks in advance for any help and/or insight anyone can provide.

      --kballou

    • Christian Brabandt
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 29, 2013
        Hi Kenny!

        On Do, 28 Mär 2013, Kenny Ballou wrote:

        > Hey all.
        >
        > I haven't found anything on this, and it might be relatively new (i.e., new
        > kernel/ new vim release); but I am having an issue with gvim hanging when I try
        > to close. That is, the gvim window is clearly _trying_ to close (doesn't
        > redraw, no longer responds to commands, etc.) but can't, stuck waiting for ...
        > something.
        >
        > Behavior or characteristics I have discovered so far.
        >
        > * Happens with a file in buffer or without
        >
        > * Only happens when launched from system launcher (e.g., Alt-F2) or from a
        > shell
        >
        > * Does *not* happen when launched by double-clicking a file in a file manager
        >
        > - Tested with Dolphin and Krusader
        >
        > * Frozen gvim windows have wait channel of `futex_`
        >
        > * Is local to gvim; vim is unaffected
        >
        > I'm not sure what needs to be done to further debug this and/or fix. This
        > happens on both of my main working machines and only started recently (in which
        > time I have had a vim update and a kernel update).
        >
        > Other relevant information (both machines):
        >
        > * KDE 4.10.1 with Openbox (3.5.0-7) window manager
        >
        > * See bugreport.txt
        >
        > Thanks in advance for any help and/or insight anyone can provide.

        You might want to strace it or build gvim with debugging symbols and
        attach gdb to it and print a backtrace.

        Mit freundlichen Grüßen
        Christian
        --
        Alle Stärke liegt innen, nicht außen.
        -- Jean Paul (eig. Johann Paul Friedrich Richter)

      • Charles Campbell
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 29, 2013
          Christian Brabandt wrote:
          > Hi Kenny!
          >
          > On Do, 28 Mär 2013, Kenny Ballou wrote:
          >
          >> Hey all.
          >>
          >> I haven't found anything on this, and it might be relatively new (i.e., new
          >> kernel/ new vim release); but I am having an issue with gvim hanging when I try
          >> to close. That is, the gvim window is clearly _trying_ to close (doesn't
          >> redraw, no longer responds to commands, etc.) but can't, stuck waiting for ...
          >> something.
          >>
          >> Behavior or characteristics I have discovered so far.
          >>
          >> * Happens with a file in buffer or without
          >>
          >> * Only happens when launched from system launcher (e.g., Alt-F2) or from a
          >> shell
          >>
          >> * Does *not* happen when launched by double-clicking a file in a file manager
          >>
          >> - Tested with Dolphin and Krusader
          >>
          >> * Frozen gvim windows have wait channel of `futex_`
          >>
          >> * Is local to gvim; vim is unaffected
          >>
          >> I'm not sure what needs to be done to further debug this and/or fix. This
          >> happens on both of my main working machines and only started recently (in which
          >> time I have had a vim update and a kernel update).
          >>
          >> Other relevant information (both machines):
          >>
          >> * KDE 4.10.1 with Openbox (3.5.0-7) window manager
          >>
          >> * See bugreport.txt
          >>
          >> Thanks in advance for any help and/or insight anyone can provide.
          > You might want to strace it or build gvim with debugging symbols and
          > attach gdb to it and print a backtrace.

          Just in case its a plugin or otherwise doing something when an autocmd
          is firing, try
          :set verbose=20

          just before closing. You should see what commands are being executed
          and where gvim is hanging.

          Regards,
          C Campbell

        • kballou
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 31, 2013
            On Friday, March 29, 2013 11:45:32 AM UTC-6, Charles Campbell wrote:
            > Christian Brabandt wrote:
            >
            > > Hi Kenny!
            >

            > > On Do, 28 M�r 2013, Kenny Ballou wrote:
            >

            > >> Hey all.
            >

            > >> I haven't found anything on this, and it might be relatively new (i.e., new
            >
            > >> kernel/ new vim release); but I am having an issue with gvim hanging when I try
            >
            > >> to close. That is, the gvim window is clearly _trying_ to close (doesn't
            >
            > >> redraw, no longer responds to commands, etc.) but can't, stuck waiting for ...
            >
            > >> something.
            >

            > >> Behavior or characteristics I have discovered so far.
            >

            > >> * Happens with a file in buffer or without
            >

            > >> * Only happens when launched from system launcher (e.g., Alt-F2) or from a
            >
            > >> shell
            >

            > >> * Does *not* happen when launched by double-clicking a file in a file manager
            >

            > >> - Tested with Dolphin and Krusader
            >

            > >> * Frozen gvim windows have wait channel of `futex_`
            >

            > >> * Is local to gvim; vim is unaffected
            >

            > >> I'm not sure what needs to be done to further debug this and/or fix. This
            >
            > >> happens on both of my main working machines and only started recently (in which
            >
            > >> time I have had a vim update and a kernel update).
            >

            > >> Other relevant information (both machines):
            >

            > >> * KDE 4.10.1 with Openbox (3.5.0-7) window manager
            >

            > >> * See bugreport.txt
            >

            > >> Thanks in advance for any help and/or insight anyone can provide.
            >
            > > You might want to strace it or build gvim with debugging symbols and
            >
            > > attach gdb to it and print a backtrace.
            >

            > Just in case its a plugin or otherwise doing something when an autocmd
            >
            > is firing, try
            >
            > :set verbose=20
            >

            > just before closing. You should see what commands are being executed
            >
            > and where gvim is hanging.
            >

            > Regards,
            >
            > C Campbell

            C Campbell,

            I finally got a chance to try your suggestion and have found that poweline (the new python version) is at fault and the problem is an already open issue for the project (https://github.com/Lokaltog/powerline/issues/371).

            I will have to either downgrade powerline or disable it entirely, for now.

            Thanks,
            --Kenny