Fwd: Re: Copying matched parts of lines

  • BPJ
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2013
      Dang! Seems I sent this directly to Tim!
      Please accept my apologies!

      /bpj

      On 2013-03-26 16:58, Tim Chase wrote:
      > On 2013-03-26 16:43, BPJ wrote:
      >> Is it somehow possible with :g// to copy only the
      >> matched parts of lines as with the -o option of grep?
      >
      > Not elegantly, but it can be done:
      >
      > :let @a=''|g/pattern/let @a=@a." ".matchstr(getline('.'), @/)

      Thought: Could the part after the second slash somehow be wrapped
      into a command and/or a function?

      :let @a=''|g/pattern/Gather(@a,"\n")

      but can you pass around a register like that?

      > (you can change the joining string from " " to "\n" if you want each
      > match on its own line in the gathered results)
      >
      > This will accumulate the matches in register "a" for your pasting
      > pleasure.
      >
      > It will only do the first match, as you'd have to better define the
      > behavior you want if there are multiple matches on the same line.

      I think I sometimes would want them all, sometimes only the first.