Re: Plugin alternatives (was: Profiling vim)

  • Marco
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 27, 2013
      On 2013–03–27 Christian Brabandt wrote:

      > >> What does git-gutter do better than any of the existing plugins?
      > >
      > > What are those existing pluginsť? I'm curious.

      It has several bugs and throws vim errors. Seemed too much hassle to
      get it working. Maybe I should report some bugs.

      No documentation and doesn't seem to be in active development.

      I didn't know that one. I just tried it and it seems to work fine.
      Would definitely be an alternative.

      I couldn't get that one to work.

      Marco
    • Christian Brabandt
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 27, 2013
        On Wed, March 27, 2013 11:29, Marco wrote:

        >> > What are those existing pluginsť? I'm curious.
        >>
        >> http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3052
        >
        > It has several bugs and throws vim errors. Seemed too much hassle to
        > get it working. Maybe I should report some bugs.

        Please do. As I am the maintainer I am interested in getting those
        fixed.

        regards,
        Christian

      • Gary Johnson
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 28, 2013
          On 2013-03-27, Christian Brabandt wrote:
          > On Wed, March 27, 2013 10:13, Marco wrote:
          > > On 2013 03 27 Christian Brabandt wrote:
          > >
          > >> What does git-gutter do better than any of the existing plugins?
          > >
          > > What are those existing pluginsť? I'm curious.

          > There are probably even more...

          What is the attractiveness of using signs to indicate where changes
          have taken place? When I follow changes, I'm more interested in
          _what_ the changes were, not just that something changed. For this
          I use DiffOrig or a variation that compares the current buffer with
          the latest (or a specified) VCS version. Having a sign in the left
          column doesn't tell me enough to be useful.

          Regards,
          Gary

        • Christian Brabandt
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 29, 2013
            Hi Gary!

            On Do, 28 Mär 2013, Gary Johnson wrote:

            > On 2013-03-27, Christian Brabandt wrote:

            > > > What are those existing pluginsť? I'm curious.
            > >
            > > http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3052
            > > http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2712
            > > http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2584
            > > http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1881
            > >
            > > There are probably even more...
            >
            > What is the attractiveness of using signs to indicate where changes
            > have taken place? When I follow changes, I'm more interested in
            > _what_ the changes were, not just that something changed. For this
            > I use DiffOrig or a variation that compares the current buffer with
            > the latest (or a specified) VCS version. Having a sign in the left
            > column doesn't tell me enough to be useful.

            I don't know. I made the plugin for fun a couple of years ago after a
            similar question here. Personally, I don't see the sense of the
            indicators but I can understand, if some people like it.

            regards,
            Christian
            --
            Alle Männer vom Fach sind darin sehr übel dran, dass ihnen nicht
            erlaubt ist, das Unnütze zu ignorieren.

          • Ben Fritz
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 29, 2013
              On Thursday, March 28, 2013 1:39:16 PM UTC-5, Gary Johnson wrote:
              > On 2013-03-27, Christian Brabandt wrote:

              > > > What are those existing pluginsť? I'm curious.
              > >
              > > http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3052
              > > http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2712
              > > http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2584
              > > http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1881
              > >
              > > There are probably even more...

              This is funny, because I just installed a change indicator plugin yesterday (I
              didn't use one before). I used this one (which is quite new, and not in your
              list):

              I save too often (impulsively, even) for a "changes since last save" to be
              useful to me at all. So Christian's "changesPlugin" (at least from reading the
              description) is no good for me.

              I did not see sign-diff, which is one reason I didn't try it. I may not have
              anyway; it has not had an update on vim.org since 2009 (maybe that's just
              because it's so stable, I don't know). Additionally, the description says "a
              cmd.exe shows up at front". I don't know how distracting that would be, the
              video link won't load for me.

              I also did not see quickfixsigns, I did not realize that one could show change
              indicators as well. This one I probably won't try, unless the balloon popups
              show the actual changed lines or something. I already get the quickfix signs
              through Eclim so I don't need that feature. Apparently the plugin also does
              relative line numbers and some other things. This seems like too much feature
              bloat for my tastes. Eclim is the only 3rd-party plugin I use frequently that
              has a ton of features I don't use. I generally like my plugins lean, mean, and
              focused.

              svndiff doesn't work on Windows. I tried this one first and attempted to make it
              work on Windows, but it uses shell redirection in ways that just won't work for
              Windows, so I gave it up.

              From the name and from a quick glance at the documentation, it looks like
              git-gutter only supports git. I only use Mercurial and SVN. So that's a complete
              nonstarter.

              signify (the one I installed) didn't work on Windows out-of-the-box when I
              installed it, but the fixes were easy and have been incorporated (in much better
              fashion) in the upstream. So I'm using it now and am quite happy with it. It is
              a small, focused plugin with all the features I want for now. The only thing
              it's missing is an easy way to see the original line for changed or deleted
              lines. I could see myself adding a balloonexpr for this in the future if the
              devs don't do it for me first.

              > What is the attractiveness of using signs to indicate where changes
              > have taken place? When I follow changes, I'm more interested in
              > _what_ the changes were, not just that something changed. For this
              > I use DiffOrig or a variation that compares the current buffer with
              > the latest (or a specified) VCS version. Having a sign in the left
              > column doesn't tell me enough to be useful.

              I like the visual indication of where I've made changes; I can normally remember
              what those changes were after seeing the visual reminder that I made one. It's a
              nice way to remind myself, "oops, I'd better remove that debug code before I
              build" or "oh yeah, I added a new variable, I better defined it" or other such
              things. I always do a full diff before I commit, but most of the time I just am
              looking for a quick reminder of what I'm working on, and going out to Kdiff3
              or hacking a "diff with comitted version" vim command is overkill.