Re: Profiling vim

  • Marco
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 27, 2013
      On 2013–03–27 Marc Weber wrote:

      > 2) The bug report says "sometimes it just completely locks up"
      > You said it always locks up after 10 secs.
      >
      > So your case is much more urgent ?

      Not more urgent, but more precise. Actually I think it corresponds
      to the 'updatetime', but that's just an assumption.

      > > easytags project doesn't seem to be very active, according to the
      > > commit history the issue list.
      > Right, then we should mask it in vim-addon-manager-known-repository for
      > those reasons - being almost unmaintained?

      That's a harsh step to take. I would try to contact the maintainer
      and ask about the status. He will tell you. If he does not, well,
      that's an answer, too. There might be valid reasons for this. Maybe
      he did not see the bug reports or he moved the active repo to a
      different place or he was on holiday and will catch up with the
      development soon, etc. You never know.

      > > I don't need this plugin. It hogs my computer and serves no useful
      > > purpose.
      > Then I wonder why you installed it at all - you must have been looking
      > for something.

      No. Once in a while (after reading some blog posts or getting bored)
      I install a bunch of new plugins and macros. 90% of those I never
      use. Every now and then I clean up my vimrc and remove all those
      plugins of which I don't even know what they are supposed to do.
      That's my way of discovering new functionality.

      The last two plugins which I consider awesome and definitely improve
      my productivity are 'vim-gitgutter' (the first thing I did was
      telling the dev how great his plugin is, in form of a bug report,
      which was fixed within no time BTW) and 'unicode'.

      > Have you found an alternative serving you well?

      The plugin adds or improves the syntax highlighting. That's very
      nice and pretty, but doesn't really improve the workflow.

      Sorry, no suggestions for alternatives. Perhaps other users will
      join the thread at this point.

      Marco
    • Christian Brabandt
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 27, 2013
        On Wed, March 27, 2013 09:31, Marco wrote:
        > The last two plugins which I consider awesome and definitely improve
        > my productivity are 'vim-gitgutter' (the first thing I did was
        > telling the dev how great his plugin is, in form of a bug report,
        > which was fixed within no time BTW) and 'unicode'.

        What does git-gutter do better than any of the existing plugins?

        regards,
        Christian

      • Marco
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 27, 2013
          On 2013–03–27 Christian Brabandt wrote:

          > What does git-gutter do better than any of the existing plugins?

          What are those “existing plugins”? I'm curious.

          Marco
        • Christian Brabandt
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 27, 2013
            On Wed, March 27, 2013 10:13, Marco wrote:
            > On 2013 03 27 Christian Brabandt wrote:
            >
            >> What does git-gutter do better than any of the existing plugins?
            >
            > What are those existing pluginsť? I'm curious.

            There are probably even more...

            regards,
            Christian

          • Marco
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 27, 2013
              On 2013–03–27 Christian Brabandt wrote:

              > >> What does git-gutter do better than any of the existing plugins?
              > >
              > > What are those existing pluginsť? I'm curious.

              It has several bugs and throws vim errors. Seemed too much hassle to
              get it working. Maybe I should report some bugs.

              No documentation and doesn't seem to be in active development.

              I didn't know that one. I just tried it and it seems to work fine.
              Would definitely be an alternative.

              I couldn't get that one to work.

              Marco
            • Christian Brabandt
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 27, 2013
                On Wed, March 27, 2013 11:29, Marco wrote:

                >> > What are those existing pluginsť? I'm curious.
                >>
                >> http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3052
                >
                > It has several bugs and throws vim errors. Seemed too much hassle to
                > get it working. Maybe I should report some bugs.

                Please do. As I am the maintainer I am interested in getting those
                fixed.

                regards,
                Christian

              • Gary Johnson
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 28, 2013
                  On 2013-03-27, Christian Brabandt wrote:
                  > On Wed, March 27, 2013 10:13, Marco wrote:
                  > > On 2013 03 27 Christian Brabandt wrote:
                  > >
                  > >> What does git-gutter do better than any of the existing plugins?
                  > >
                  > > What are those existing pluginsť? I'm curious.

                  > There are probably even more...

                  What is the attractiveness of using signs to indicate where changes
                  have taken place? When I follow changes, I'm more interested in
                  _what_ the changes were, not just that something changed. For this
                  I use DiffOrig or a variation that compares the current buffer with
                  the latest (or a specified) VCS version. Having a sign in the left
                  column doesn't tell me enough to be useful.

                  Regards,
                  Gary

                • Christian Brabandt
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 29, 2013
                    Hi Gary!

                    On Do, 28 Mär 2013, Gary Johnson wrote:

                    > On 2013-03-27, Christian Brabandt wrote:

                    > > > What are those existing pluginsť? I'm curious.
                    > >
                    > > http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3052
                    > > http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2712
                    > > http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2584
                    > > http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1881
                    > >
                    > > There are probably even more...
                    >
                    > What is the attractiveness of using signs to indicate where changes
                    > have taken place? When I follow changes, I'm more interested in
                    > _what_ the changes were, not just that something changed. For this
                    > I use DiffOrig or a variation that compares the current buffer with
                    > the latest (or a specified) VCS version. Having a sign in the left
                    > column doesn't tell me enough to be useful.

                    I don't know. I made the plugin for fun a couple of years ago after a
                    similar question here. Personally, I don't see the sense of the
                    indicators but I can understand, if some people like it.

                    regards,
                    Christian
                    --
                    Alle Männer vom Fach sind darin sehr übel dran, dass ihnen nicht
                    erlaubt ist, das Unnütze zu ignorieren.

                  • Ben Fritz
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 29, 2013
                      On Thursday, March 28, 2013 1:39:16 PM UTC-5, Gary Johnson wrote:
                      > On 2013-03-27, Christian Brabandt wrote:

                      > > > What are those existing pluginsť? I'm curious.
                      > >
                      > > http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3052
                      > > http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2712
                      > > http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2584
                      > > http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1881
                      > >
                      > > There are probably even more...

                      This is funny, because I just installed a change indicator plugin yesterday (I
                      didn't use one before). I used this one (which is quite new, and not in your
                      list):

                      I save too often (impulsively, even) for a "changes since last save" to be
                      useful to me at all. So Christian's "changesPlugin" (at least from reading the
                      description) is no good for me.

                      I did not see sign-diff, which is one reason I didn't try it. I may not have
                      anyway; it has not had an update on vim.org since 2009 (maybe that's just
                      because it's so stable, I don't know). Additionally, the description says "a
                      cmd.exe shows up at front". I don't know how distracting that would be, the
                      video link won't load for me.

                      I also did not see quickfixsigns, I did not realize that one could show change
                      indicators as well. This one I probably won't try, unless the balloon popups
                      show the actual changed lines or something. I already get the quickfix signs
                      through Eclim so I don't need that feature. Apparently the plugin also does
                      relative line numbers and some other things. This seems like too much feature
                      bloat for my tastes. Eclim is the only 3rd-party plugin I use frequently that
                      has a ton of features I don't use. I generally like my plugins lean, mean, and
                      focused.

                      svndiff doesn't work on Windows. I tried this one first and attempted to make it
                      work on Windows, but it uses shell redirection in ways that just won't work for
                      Windows, so I gave it up.

                      From the name and from a quick glance at the documentation, it looks like
                      git-gutter only supports git. I only use Mercurial and SVN. So that's a complete
                      nonstarter.

                      signify (the one I installed) didn't work on Windows out-of-the-box when I
                      installed it, but the fixes were easy and have been incorporated (in much better
                      fashion) in the upstream. So I'm using it now and am quite happy with it. It is
                      a small, focused plugin with all the features I want for now. The only thing
                      it's missing is an easy way to see the original line for changed or deleted
                      lines. I could see myself adding a balloonexpr for this in the future if the
                      devs don't do it for me first.

                      > What is the attractiveness of using signs to indicate where changes
                      > have taken place? When I follow changes, I'm more interested in
                      > _what_ the changes were, not just that something changed. For this
                      > I use DiffOrig or a variation that compares the current buffer with
                      > the latest (or a specified) VCS version. Having a sign in the left
                      > column doesn't tell me enough to be useful.

                      I like the visual indication of where I've made changes; I can normally remember
                      what those changes were after seeing the visual reminder that I made one. It's a
                      nice way to remind myself, "oops, I'd better remove that debug code before I
                      build" or "oh yeah, I added a new variable, I better defined it" or other such
                      things. I always do a full diff before I commit, but most of the time I just am
                      looking for a quick reminder of what I'm working on, and going out to Kdiff3
                      or hacking a "diff with comitted version" vim command is overkill.