Re: Can 'set ' be elided? When?

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 23, 2013
      On 22/03/13 23:43, Dotan Cohen wrote:
      > I notice that some settings use the format ':set name=value' and other
      > use ':name value'. For instance:
      > :set syntax=php
      > :syntax off
      >
      > Can the string 'set ' always be safely elided? If not, then what are
      > the guidelines?
      >
      > Thanks.

      In addition to the replies you already got, (e.g. that ":set syntax=php"
      sets an option while ":syntax php" gives error E410) I'll add that AFAIK
      there is exactly one case where an option may be modified by name
      without the word "set" being used, and that is in a modeline. Modelines,
      however, are never typed at the keyboard, they are among the first or
      last lines in the file to which they apply. There are two forms of
      modelines: one uses "set" and can end before the end of the line (so it
      can be used in a /* */ or <!-- --> comment without moving the comment
      end marker to the next line), the other doesn't and can't. The last line
      of helpfiles distributed with Vim is a modeline. For a more detailed
      explanation, see
      :help modeline
      :help 'modeline'

      [The rest of the ARMY stand around looking at a loss.]
      INSPECTOR END OF FILM: (picks up megaphone) All right! Clear off! Go on!
      PICTURES LTD

    • Dotan Cohen
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 25, 2013
        On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 12:58 AM, Paul Isambert <zappathustra@...> wrote:
        > Selon Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@...>:
        >
        >> I notice that some settings use the format ':set name=value' and other
        >> use ':name value'. For instance:
        >> :set syntax=php
        >> :syntax off
        >
        > Note that ":syntax php" doesn't work.
        >
        >> Can the string 'set ' always be safely elided?
        >
        > No.
        >
        >> If not, then what are the guidelines?
        >
        > As far as I can tell, there aren't any. Some commands have the same name as
        > options (e.g. :filetype and 'filetype', :confirm and 'confirm'), but they don't
        > do the same things.
        >
        > Best,
        > Paul

        Thank you, I did not realize the difference between commands and
        options, as some of them have the same names:
        :set syntax=php is setting an option (_which_ syntax to use)
        :syntax off is running a command (_do_ enable syntax highlighting)

        Paying attention to 'which' or 'do' is helping me sort this out.

        Thanks.

        --
        Dotan Cohen

        http://gibberish.co.il
        http://what-is-what.com

      • Dotan Cohen
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 31, 2013
          On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 12:58 AM, Paul Isambert <zappathustra@...> wrote:
          >> I notice that some settings use the format ':set name=value' and other
          >> use ':name value'. For instance:
          >> :set syntax=php
          >> :syntax off
          >
          > Note that ":syntax php" doesn't work.
          >
          >> Can the string 'set ' always be safely elided?
          >
          > No.
          >
          >> If not, then what are the guidelines?
          >
          > As far as I can tell, there aren't any. Some commands have the same name as
          > options (e.g. :filetype and 'filetype', :confirm and 'confirm'), but they don't
          > do the same things.
          >
          > Best,
          > Paul

          I notice that the following doesn't work:
          :syntax php

          However the following does work:
          :colorscheme desert

          Why is "syntax" an option yet "colorscheme" a command?

          --
          Dotan Cohen

          http://gibberish.co.il
          http://what-is-what.com

        • Christian Brabandt
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 31, 2013
            Hi Dotan!

            On So, 31 Mär 2013, Dotan Cohen wrote:

            > I notice that the following doesn't work:
            > :syntax php
            >
            > However the following does work:
            > :colorscheme desert
            >
            > Why is "syntax" an option yet "colorscheme" a command?

            Probably because colorschemes do not change the behaviour of Vim but
            rather change its appearance.

            But who really knows the reasoning why some commands are not options?

            regards,
            Christian

          • Dotan Cohen
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 31, 2013
              On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 7:34 PM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:
              >> Why is "syntax" an option yet "colorscheme" a command?
              >
              > Probably because colorschemes do not change the behaviour of Vim but
              > rather change its appearance.
              >
              > But who really knows the reasoning why some commands are not options?

              Thank you. I did not realize that syntax actually changes the
              behaviour of VIM. I suppose that it could change things like
              indentation.

              --
              Dotan Cohen

              http://gibberish.co.il
              http://what-is-what.com

            • Christian Brabandt
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 31, 2013
                Hi Dotan!

                On So, 31 Mär 2013, Dotan Cohen wrote:

                > On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 7:34 PM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:
                > >> Why is "syntax" an option yet "colorscheme" a command?
                > >
                > > Probably because colorschemes do not change the behaviour of Vim but
                > > rather change its appearance.
                > >
                > > But who really knows the reasoning why some commands are not options?
                > >

                > Thank you. I did not realize that syntax actually changes the
                > behaviour of VIM. I suppose that it could change things like
                > indentation.

                Yes, loading syntax files could e.g. change the 'isk' setting so syntax
                highlighting works better, but this might have other side effects. So in
                fact setting syntax (and therefore loading a special syntax file) might
                in fact change the behaviour of Vim.

                Actually I think the syntax option is a bad example here, since
                :set syntax?
                might not always give the exact syntax setting that is used.

                regards,
                Christian

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 31, 2013
                  On 31/03/13 17:24, Dotan Cohen wrote:
                  > On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 12:58 AM, Paul Isambert <zappathustra@...> wrote:
                  >>> I notice that some settings use the format ':set name=value' and other
                  >>> use ':name value'. For instance:
                  >>> :set syntax=php
                  >>> :syntax off
                  >>
                  >> Note that ":syntax php" doesn't work.
                  >>
                  >>> Can the string 'set ' always be safely elided?
                  >>
                  >> No.
                  >>
                  >>> If not, then what are the guidelines?
                  >>
                  >> As far as I can tell, there aren't any. Some commands have the same name as
                  >> options (e.g. :filetype and 'filetype', :confirm and 'confirm'), but they don't
                  >> do the same things.
                  >>
                  >> Best,
                  >> Paul
                  >>

                  > I notice that the following doesn't work:
                  > :syntax php
                  >
                  > However the following does work:
                  > :colorscheme desert
                  >
                  > Why is "syntax" an option yet "colorscheme" a command?
                  >

                  > --
                  > Dotan Cohen
                  >
                  > http://gibberish.co.il
                  > http://what-is-what.com

                  There is both a :syntax command and a 'syntax' option, and they are not
                  interchangeable: The command can be:

                  :syntax on
                  :syntax off
                  :syntax enable
                  :syntax list " with optional arguments
                  :syntax sync fromstart
                  :syntax sync clear
                  :syntax sync ccomment
                  " also other variants
                  :syntax sync " with no arguments: "tell me"

                  etc. Most of the variants of this command are for use in syntax scripts,
                  to define how the particular syntax of a certain filetype must be
                  highlighted. ":syntax on" can be used in your vimrc to enable syntax
                  highlighting. ":syntax sync" with no arguments and ":syntax list" are
                  used from the keyboard, to request information.

                  The 'syntax' option is something else: it defines which named syntax
                  applies to a given file. It can be set, usually by ":setlocal"; normally
                  this is done automatically as part of the FileType event handling. You
                  can also do it manually, for instance

                  :setlocal syntax=

                  to remove all syntax highlighting for one editfile only, until it is
                  reloaded.

                  As for the :colorscheme command, ":colorscheme foobar" is approximately
                  equivalent with (IIUC) ":doautocmd ColorScheme foobar | runtime
                  colors/foobar.vim" which is also a command. If you want to determine
                  which colorscheme is in use, you should check the global variable
                  colors_name which every properly constructed colorscheme will set to its
                  own filename (without the path and the .vim extension). You can do that
                  with ":colorscheme" with no argument, which (in a Vim with +eval
                  compiled-in) does something similar to ":if exists('g:colors_name') |
                  echo g:colors_name | else | echo 'default' | endif", another command.

                  LETTERS TO THE EDITOR (The Times of London)

                  Dear Sir,

                  I am firmly opposed to the spread of microchips either to the home or
                  to the office. We have more than enough of them foisted upon us in
                  public places. They are a disgusting Americanism, and can only result
                  in the farmers being forced to grow smaller potatoes, which in turn
                  will cause massive unemployment in the already severely depressed
                  agricultural industry.

                  Yours faithfully,
                  Capt. Quinton D'Arcy, J. P.
                  Sevenoaks