Can 'set ' be elided? When?

  • Dotan Cohen
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 22, 2013
      I notice that some settings use the format ':set name=value' and other
      use ':name value'. For instance:
      :set syntax=php
      :syntax off

      Can the string 'set ' always be safely elided? If not, then what are
      the guidelines?

      Thanks.

      --
      Dotan Cohen

      http://gibberish.co.il
      http://what-is-what.com

    • Paul Isambert
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 22, 2013
        Selon Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@...>:

        > I notice that some settings use the format ':set name=value' and other
        > use ':name value'. For instance:
        > :set syntax=php
        > :syntax off

        Note that ":syntax php" doesn't work.

        > Can the string 'set ' always be safely elided?

        No.

        > If not, then what are the guidelines?

        As far as I can tell, there aren't any. Some commands have the same name as
        options (e.g. :filetype and 'filetype', :confirm and 'confirm'), but they don't
        do the same things.

        Best,
        Paul

      • Gary Johnson
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 22, 2013
          On 2013-03-23, Dotan Cohen wrote:
          > I notice that some settings use the format ':set name=value' and other
          > use ':name value'. For instance:
          > :set syntax=php
          > :syntax off
          >
          > Can the string 'set ' always be safely elided? If not, then what are
          > the guidelines?

          ':name value' is not a setting, it is a command that accepts an
          argument.

          In ":set syntax=php", syntax is an option. See

          :help 'syntax'

          In ":syntax off", syntax is a command. See

          :help :syn-qstart

          (I would normally have directed you to ":help :syntax", but that
          section is not very helpful in this regard.)

          The syntax option and the syntax command are two different things
          that happen to share the same name.

          Regards,
          Gary

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 23, 2013
            On 22/03/13 23:43, Dotan Cohen wrote:
            > I notice that some settings use the format ':set name=value' and other
            > use ':name value'. For instance:
            > :set syntax=php
            > :syntax off
            >
            > Can the string 'set ' always be safely elided? If not, then what are
            > the guidelines?
            >
            > Thanks.

            In addition to the replies you already got, (e.g. that ":set syntax=php"
            sets an option while ":syntax php" gives error E410) I'll add that AFAIK
            there is exactly one case where an option may be modified by name
            without the word "set" being used, and that is in a modeline. Modelines,
            however, are never typed at the keyboard, they are among the first or
            last lines in the file to which they apply. There are two forms of
            modelines: one uses "set" and can end before the end of the line (so it
            can be used in a /* */ or <!-- --> comment without moving the comment
            end marker to the next line), the other doesn't and can't. The last line
            of helpfiles distributed with Vim is a modeline. For a more detailed
            explanation, see
            :help modeline
            :help 'modeline'

            [The rest of the ARMY stand around looking at a loss.]
            INSPECTOR END OF FILM: (picks up megaphone) All right! Clear off! Go on!
            PICTURES LTD

          • Dotan Cohen
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 25, 2013
              On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 12:58 AM, Paul Isambert <zappathustra@...> wrote:
              > Selon Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@...>:
              >
              >> I notice that some settings use the format ':set name=value' and other
              >> use ':name value'. For instance:
              >> :set syntax=php
              >> :syntax off
              >
              > Note that ":syntax php" doesn't work.
              >
              >> Can the string 'set ' always be safely elided?
              >
              > No.
              >
              >> If not, then what are the guidelines?
              >
              > As far as I can tell, there aren't any. Some commands have the same name as
              > options (e.g. :filetype and 'filetype', :confirm and 'confirm'), but they don't
              > do the same things.
              >
              > Best,
              > Paul

              Thank you, I did not realize the difference between commands and
              options, as some of them have the same names:
              :set syntax=php is setting an option (_which_ syntax to use)
              :syntax off is running a command (_do_ enable syntax highlighting)

              Paying attention to 'which' or 'do' is helping me sort this out.

              Thanks.

              --
              Dotan Cohen

              http://gibberish.co.il
              http://what-is-what.com

            • Dotan Cohen
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 31, 2013
                On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 12:58 AM, Paul Isambert <zappathustra@...> wrote:
                >> I notice that some settings use the format ':set name=value' and other
                >> use ':name value'. For instance:
                >> :set syntax=php
                >> :syntax off
                >
                > Note that ":syntax php" doesn't work.
                >
                >> Can the string 'set ' always be safely elided?
                >
                > No.
                >
                >> If not, then what are the guidelines?
                >
                > As far as I can tell, there aren't any. Some commands have the same name as
                > options (e.g. :filetype and 'filetype', :confirm and 'confirm'), but they don't
                > do the same things.
                >
                > Best,
                > Paul

                I notice that the following doesn't work:
                :syntax php

                However the following does work:
                :colorscheme desert

                Why is "syntax" an option yet "colorscheme" a command?

                --
                Dotan Cohen

                http://gibberish.co.il
                http://what-is-what.com

              • Christian Brabandt
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 31, 2013
                  Hi Dotan!

                  On So, 31 Mär 2013, Dotan Cohen wrote:

                  > I notice that the following doesn't work:
                  > :syntax php
                  >
                  > However the following does work:
                  > :colorscheme desert
                  >
                  > Why is "syntax" an option yet "colorscheme" a command?

                  Probably because colorschemes do not change the behaviour of Vim but
                  rather change its appearance.

                  But who really knows the reasoning why some commands are not options?

                  regards,
                  Christian

                • Dotan Cohen
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 31, 2013
                    On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 7:34 PM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:
                    >> Why is "syntax" an option yet "colorscheme" a command?
                    >
                    > Probably because colorschemes do not change the behaviour of Vim but
                    > rather change its appearance.
                    >
                    > But who really knows the reasoning why some commands are not options?

                    Thank you. I did not realize that syntax actually changes the
                    behaviour of VIM. I suppose that it could change things like
                    indentation.

                    --
                    Dotan Cohen

                    http://gibberish.co.il
                    http://what-is-what.com

                  • Christian Brabandt
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 31, 2013
                      Hi Dotan!

                      On So, 31 Mär 2013, Dotan Cohen wrote:

                      > On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 7:34 PM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:
                      > >> Why is "syntax" an option yet "colorscheme" a command?
                      > >
                      > > Probably because colorschemes do not change the behaviour of Vim but
                      > > rather change its appearance.
                      > >
                      > > But who really knows the reasoning why some commands are not options?
                      > >

                      > Thank you. I did not realize that syntax actually changes the
                      > behaviour of VIM. I suppose that it could change things like
                      > indentation.

                      Yes, loading syntax files could e.g. change the 'isk' setting so syntax
                      highlighting works better, but this might have other side effects. So in
                      fact setting syntax (and therefore loading a special syntax file) might
                      in fact change the behaviour of Vim.

                      Actually I think the syntax option is a bad example here, since
                      :set syntax?
                      might not always give the exact syntax setting that is used.

                      regards,
                      Christian

                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 31, 2013
                        On 31/03/13 17:24, Dotan Cohen wrote:
                        > On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 12:58 AM, Paul Isambert <zappathustra@...> wrote:
                        >>> I notice that some settings use the format ':set name=value' and other
                        >>> use ':name value'. For instance:
                        >>> :set syntax=php
                        >>> :syntax off
                        >>
                        >> Note that ":syntax php" doesn't work.
                        >>
                        >>> Can the string 'set ' always be safely elided?
                        >>
                        >> No.
                        >>
                        >>> If not, then what are the guidelines?
                        >>
                        >> As far as I can tell, there aren't any. Some commands have the same name as
                        >> options (e.g. :filetype and 'filetype', :confirm and 'confirm'), but they don't
                        >> do the same things.
                        >>
                        >> Best,
                        >> Paul
                        >>

                        > I notice that the following doesn't work:
                        > :syntax php
                        >
                        > However the following does work:
                        > :colorscheme desert
                        >
                        > Why is "syntax" an option yet "colorscheme" a command?
                        >

                        > --
                        > Dotan Cohen
                        >
                        > http://gibberish.co.il
                        > http://what-is-what.com

                        There is both a :syntax command and a 'syntax' option, and they are not
                        interchangeable: The command can be:

                        :syntax on
                        :syntax off
                        :syntax enable
                        :syntax list " with optional arguments
                        :syntax sync fromstart
                        :syntax sync clear
                        :syntax sync ccomment
                        " also other variants
                        :syntax sync " with no arguments: "tell me"

                        etc. Most of the variants of this command are for use in syntax scripts,
                        to define how the particular syntax of a certain filetype must be
                        highlighted. ":syntax on" can be used in your vimrc to enable syntax
                        highlighting. ":syntax sync" with no arguments and ":syntax list" are
                        used from the keyboard, to request information.

                        The 'syntax' option is something else: it defines which named syntax
                        applies to a given file. It can be set, usually by ":setlocal"; normally
                        this is done automatically as part of the FileType event handling. You
                        can also do it manually, for instance

                        :setlocal syntax=

                        to remove all syntax highlighting for one editfile only, until it is
                        reloaded.

                        As for the :colorscheme command, ":colorscheme foobar" is approximately
                        equivalent with (IIUC) ":doautocmd ColorScheme foobar | runtime
                        colors/foobar.vim" which is also a command. If you want to determine
                        which colorscheme is in use, you should check the global variable
                        colors_name which every properly constructed colorscheme will set to its
                        own filename (without the path and the .vim extension). You can do that
                        with ":colorscheme" with no argument, which (in a Vim with +eval
                        compiled-in) does something similar to ":if exists('g:colors_name') |
                        echo g:colors_name | else | echo 'default' | endif", another command.

                        LETTERS TO THE EDITOR (The Times of London)

                        Dear Sir,

                        I am firmly opposed to the spread of microchips either to the home or
                        to the office. We have more than enough of them foisted upon us in
                        public places. They are a disgusting Americanism, and can only result
                        in the farmers being forced to grow smaller potatoes, which in turn
                        will cause massive unemployment in the already severely depressed
                        agricultural industry.

                        Yours faithfully,
                        Capt. Quinton D'Arcy, J. P.
                        Sevenoaks