How to keep folds intact when the file is sent over mail

  • sheetal
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 21, 2013
      Hello All,

      I don't konw if this is possible, but i've a text file on which i've applied fold cmd using the marks, Now when i send the file to over email, I want to keep the fold intact so that the other person viewing the file should also see the folds, Current behaviour is the person viewing the file will see all the fold extended and also if we try fold using 'zc' Error saying fold not defined pops up.
      Any pointers on this would be appreciated.

      Thank you.

    • Tim Chase
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 21, 2013
        On 2013-03-21 00:15, sheetal wrote:
        > I don't konw if this is possible, but i've a text file on which
        > i've applied fold cmd using the marks, Now when i send the file to
        > over email, I want to keep the fold intact so that the other person
        > viewing the file should also see the folds, Current behaviour is
        > the person viewing the file will see all the fold extended and also
        > if we try fold using 'zc' Error saying fold not defined pops up.
        > Any pointers on this would be appreciated.

        You'd need to coordinate your configurations. You say that you're
        using "marks", which I presume means you're using fold markers
        (":set foldmethod=marker", note that you might have to also change
        'commentstring' to something appropriate for the language you're
        using) rather than "set foldmethod=manual".

        According to

        :help fold-marker

        you can manually specify the fold-level after the markers. You can
        then have the other person set the fold-method to "marker" and then
        use "zM" to close all the folds you want closed. This gets pretty
        close to what you want, though it breaks down if you want to send
        folds that don't get closed.

        -tim

      • Christian Brabandt
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 21, 2013
          Hi Tim!

          On Do, 21 Mär 2013, Tim Chase wrote:

          > On 2013-03-21 00:15, sheetal wrote:
          > > I don't konw if this is possible, but i've a text file on which
          > > i've applied fold cmd using the marks, Now when i send the file to
          > > over email, I want to keep the fold intact so that the other person
          > > viewing the file should also see the folds, Current behaviour is
          > > the person viewing the file will see all the fold extended and also
          > > if we try fold using 'zc' Error saying fold not defined pops up.
          > > Any pointers on this would be appreciated.
          >
          > You'd need to coordinate your configurations. You say that you're
          > using "marks", which I presume means you're using fold markers
          > (":set foldmethod=marker", note that you might have to also change
          > 'commentstring' to something appropriate for the language you're
          > using) rather than "set foldmethod=manual".
          >
          > According to
          >
          > :help fold-marker
          >
          > you can manually specify the fold-level after the markers. You can
          > then have the other person set the fold-method to "marker" and then
          > use "zM" to close all the folds you want closed. This gets pretty
          > close to what you want, though it breaks down if you want to send
          > folds that don't get closed.

          I am not exactly sure, since I have never used it, but using :mkview
          should create a script that when applied by the other user, he should be
          able to view it exactly like the author did see it.

          regards
          Christian
          --
          Wie man sein Kind nicht nennen sollte:
          Axel Zucken

        • Ben Fritz
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 21, 2013
            On Thursday, March 21, 2013 2:15:27 AM UTC-5, sheetal wrote:
            > Hello All,
            >
            > I don't konw if this is possible, but i've a text file on which i've applied fold cmd using the marks, Now when i send the file to over email, I want to keep the fold intact so that the other person viewing the file should also see the folds, Current behaviour is the person viewing the file will see all the fold extended and also if we try fold using 'zc' Error saying fold not defined pops up.
            > Any pointers on this would be appreciated.
            >
            > Thank you.

            If you're just sending them something to view, but not really intending them to edit it, you can also use :TOhtml (especially with dynamic folding enabled) to create an HTML representation of your file including the fold information.

            This is one of the things I actually use :TOhtml for, especially when I'm sharing with non-Vim users.