Re: Setting cedit= causes vimincr :I to fail

  • Gary Johnson
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 19, 2013
      On 2013-03-19, Christian Brabandt wrote:
      > On Tue, March 19, 2013 17:43, Gary Johnson wrote:

      > >> I think, plugin writers should take care of properly escaping
      > >> the cedit key by themselves. That is, if they issue a search like this
      > >> :exe "norm! /"
      > >> they need to take care to replace the cedit key by Ctrl-V cedit key.
      > >
      > > But the writer in this case was not trying to use the cedit key--he
      > > was innocently using another key (<Esc>) that I had chosen to be the
      > > cedit key.
      >
      > I don't see, how this is different from other settings that might
      > interfer plugins (e.g. 'gdefault', 'magic', 'remap', 'ed').

      That's why I suggested that the plugin function save the current
      'cedit' setting, set the default, do the work of the function, then
      restore the original setting before returning.

      > Say you don't want to use the search() function,
      > but want to use
      > :exe variable
      > with variable being something like 'norm! /....<Esc>'
      >
      > There shouldn't be a problem with first substituting that variable by
      > :let variable = substitute(variable, &cedit, '^V'.&cedit, 'g')
      > where ^V is the literal Ctrl-V (and not the 2 distinct characters ^ and V)

      Maybe I'm just being thick this morning--haven't even finished my
      first coffee--but I don't think you understand the problem. The
      'cedit' key is used to open the command-line window. The plugin
      writer doesn't want to open the command-line window. The plugin
      writer doesn't even care that command-line window exists. All he
      wants to do is execute a normal-mode command that ends with an
      <Esc>,

      exe 'norm! /\%'.leftcol."v\<Esc>"

      which :help says should behave as follows in that context:

      <Esc> When typed and 'x' not present in 'cpoptions', quit
      Command-line mode without executing. In macros or
      when 'x' present in 'cpoptions', start entered command.

      Instead of getting that documented behavior, the normal-mode command
      is interpreting that <Esc> as the cedit key and entering the
      command-line window. The plugin writer just wants to execute his
      command. I don't see any way to escape that <Esc> to make it do
      what :help says it does and not enter the command-line window when
      'cedit' is set to <Esc>.

      I think if the &cedit character was escaped with ^V as you
      suggested, that would place a literal &cedit in the text, which is
      not what the plugin writer wants, either.

      The only solution I see, without modifying Vim as I suggested, is to
      save and restore 'cedit' as I also suggested.

      Regards,
      Gary

    • Christian Brabandt
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 19, 2013
        Hi Gary!

        On Di, 19 Mär 2013, Gary Johnson wrote:

        > On 2013-03-19, Christian Brabandt wrote:

        > > > But the writer in this case was not trying to use the cedit key--he
        > > > was innocently using another key (<Esc>) that I had chosen to be the
        > > > cedit key.
        > >
        > > I don't see, how this is different from other settings that might
        > > interfer plugins (e.g. 'gdefault', 'magic', 'remap', 'ed').
        >
        > That's why I suggested that the plugin function save the current
        > 'cedit' setting, set the default, do the work of the function, then
        > restore the original setting before returning.
        >
        > > Say you don't want to use the search() function,
        > > but want to use
        > > :exe variable
        > > with variable being something like 'norm! /....<Esc>'
        > >
        > > There shouldn't be a problem with first substituting that variable by
        > > :let variable = substitute(variable, &cedit, '^V'.&cedit, 'g')
        > > where ^V is the literal Ctrl-V (and not the 2 distinct characters ^ and V)
        >
        > Maybe I'm just being thick this morning--haven't even finished my
        > first coffee--but I don't think you understand the problem. The
        > 'cedit' key is used to open the command-line window. The plugin
        > writer doesn't want to open the command-line window. The plugin
        > writer doesn't even care that command-line window exists. All he
        > wants to do is execute a normal-mode command that ends with an
        > <Esc>,
        >
        > exe 'norm! /\%'.leftcol."v\<Esc>"
        >
        > which :help says should behave as follows in that context:
        >
        > <Esc> When typed and 'x' not present in 'cpoptions', quit
        > Command-line mode without executing. In macros or
        > when 'x' present in 'cpoptions', start entered command.
        >
        > Instead of getting that documented behavior, the normal-mode command
        > is interpreting that <Esc> as the cedit key and entering the
        > command-line window. The plugin writer just wants to execute his
        > command. I don't see any way to escape that <Esc> to make it do
        > what :help says it does and not enter the command-line window when
        > 'cedit' is set to <Esc>.

        Ah, I misunderstood the problem. But why not simply use <CR>?

        But I don't have a solution to this problem. We could check, that the
        cedit key has been typed by the user and is not coming from a macro or
        using :exe normal command. But this breaks mappings that might want to
        use the cedit key.

        > I think if the &cedit character was escaped with ^V as you
        > suggested, that would place a literal &cedit in the text, which is
        > not what the plugin writer wants, either.
        >
        > The only solution I see, without modifying Vim as I suggested, is to
        > save and restore 'cedit' as I also suggested.

        Indeed. Although, this might not work correctly in <expr> mappings.

        regards,
        Christian

      • Christian Brabandt
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 19, 2013
          Hi Gary!

          On Di, 19 Mär 2013, Gary Johnson wrote:

          > On 2013-03-19, Christian Brabandt wrote:

          > > > But the writer in this case was not trying to use the cedit key--he
          > > > was innocently using another key (<Esc>) that I had chosen to be the
          > > > cedit key.
          > >
          > > I don't see, how this is different from other settings that might
          > > interfer plugins (e.g. 'gdefault', 'magic', 'remap', 'ed').
          >
          > That's why I suggested that the plugin function save the current
          > 'cedit' setting, set the default, do the work of the function, then
          > restore the original setting before returning.
          >
          > > Say you don't want to use the search() function,
          > > but want to use
          > > :exe variable
          > > with variable being something like 'norm! /....<Esc>'
          > >
          > > There shouldn't be a problem with first substituting that variable by
          > > :let variable = substitute(variable, &cedit, '^V'.&cedit, 'g')
          > > where ^V is the literal Ctrl-V (and not the 2 distinct characters ^ and V)
          >
          > Maybe I'm just being thick this morning--haven't even finished my
          > first coffee--but I don't think you understand the problem. The
          > 'cedit' key is used to open the command-line window. The plugin
          > writer doesn't want to open the command-line window. The plugin
          > writer doesn't even care that command-line window exists. All he
          > wants to do is execute a normal-mode command that ends with an
          > <Esc>,
          >
          > exe 'norm! /\%'.leftcol."v\<Esc>"
          >
          > which :help says should behave as follows in that context:
          >
          > <Esc> When typed and 'x' not present in 'cpoptions', quit
          > Command-line mode without executing. In macros or
          > when 'x' present in 'cpoptions', start entered command.
          >
          > Instead of getting that documented behavior, the normal-mode command
          > is interpreting that <Esc> as the cedit key and entering the
          > command-line window. The plugin writer just wants to execute his
          > command. I don't see any way to escape that <Esc> to make it do
          > what :help says it does and not enter the command-line window when
          > 'cedit' is set to <Esc>.
          >
          > I think if the &cedit character was escaped with ^V as you
          > suggested, that would place a literal &cedit in the text, which is
          > not what the plugin writer wants, either.
          >
          > The only solution I see, without modifying Vim as I suggested, is to
          > save and restore 'cedit' as I also suggested.

          Here is a patch, that makes :norm! ignore the cedit key, while :norm
          behaves as is.

          regards,
          Christian
          --
          Wer die Menge unbedeutender ungenial(ischer) Bücher sieht, hält die
          Menschen für noch unbedeutender.

        • Bram Moolenaar
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 19, 2013
            Christian Brabandt wrote:

            > Hi Gary!
            >
            > On Di, 19 Mär 2013, Gary Johnson wrote:

            > > > I don't see, how this is different from other settings that might
            > > > interfer plugins (e.g. 'gdefault', 'magic', 'remap', 'ed').
            > >
            > > That's why I suggested that the plugin function save the current
            > > 'cedit' setting, set the default, do the work of the function, then
            > > restore the original setting before returning.
            > >
            > > > Say you don't want to use the search() function,
            > > > but want to use
            > > > :exe variable
            > > > with variable being something like 'norm! /....<Esc>'
            > > >
            > > > There shouldn't be a problem with first substituting that variable by
            > > > :let variable = substitute(variable, &cedit, '^V'.&cedit, 'g')
            > > > where ^V is the literal Ctrl-V (and not the 2 distinct characters ^ and V)
            > >
            > > Maybe I'm just being thick this morning--haven't even finished my
            > > first coffee--but I don't think you understand the problem. The
            > > 'cedit' key is used to open the command-line window. The plugin
            > > writer doesn't want to open the command-line window. The plugin
            > > writer doesn't even care that command-line window exists. All he
            > > wants to do is execute a normal-mode command that ends with an
            > > <Esc>,
            > >
            > > exe 'norm! /\%'.leftcol."v\<Esc>"
            > >
            > > which :help says should behave as follows in that context:
            > >
            > > <Esc> When typed and 'x' not present in 'cpoptions', quit
            > > Command-line mode without executing. In macros or
            > > when 'x' present in 'cpoptions', start entered command.
            > >
            > > Instead of getting that documented behavior, the normal-mode command
            > > is interpreting that <Esc> as the cedit key and entering the
            > > command-line window. The plugin writer just wants to execute his
            > > command. I don't see any way to escape that <Esc> to make it do
            > > what :help says it does and not enter the command-line window when
            > > 'cedit' is set to <Esc>.
            > >
            > > I think if the &cedit character was escaped with ^V as you
            > > suggested, that would place a literal &cedit in the text, which is
            > > not what the plugin writer wants, either.
            > >
            > > The only solution I see, without modifying Vim as I suggested, is to
            > > save and restore 'cedit' as I also suggested.
            >
            > Here is a patch, that makes :norm! ignore the cedit key, while :norm
            > behaves as is.

            Thanks. Looks like some stuff was left behind, commented with //.

            The logic is a bit hard to follow, perhaps typebuf_norm_remap() should
            only check for remapping and ex_normal_busy is checked separately?

            --
            Ed's Radiator Shop: The Best Place in Town to Take a Leak.