Re: redir and glob

  • Salman Halim
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 18, 2013
      On Monday, March 18, 2013, FlashBurn wrote:
      I want to create a list of files that my project is using. This list will be stored in a file and subsequently will be used by cscope.

      Here is what I have so far:

      function! BuildFileList()
        s:dir_list = ['dir1', 'dir2', 'dir3']
        s:output_file = 'cscope.files'
        redir! > s:output_file
        for dir in s:dir_list
          glob(dir.'*.[ch]')
        endfor
      redir END
      endfunction

      silent call BuildFileList

      I'm getting the following errors when I execute this function:
      E190: Cannot open "s:output_file" for writing
      E486: Pattern not found: dir."*.[ch]"

      Obviously there is something wrong with the way I use redir and glob, but I can't get my finger on it. Does anybody know what am I doing wrong?

      Any help is really appreciated.

      Redir requires an actual file name, not a variable name. Use :execute.

      execute "redir! > " . s:variable

      Also, unless the "dir" ends in a slash, you will end up with the pattern right next to the directory name without the separator. Stick a slash in there to see if it helps.

      dir . "/*.[ch]"

      You didn't ask this, but unless your files end in [ch] (and not just ch), you may be out of luck.

      Salman

      --
      سلمان حلیم

    • Nazri Ramliy
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 18, 2013
        On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 6:39 AM, FlashBurn <rail.shafigulin@...> wrote:
        > Obviously there is something wrong with the way I use redir and glob,
        > but I can't get my finger on it. Does anybody know what am I doing
        > wrong?

        To redir to the s:output_file variable do this:

        redir => s:output_file

        Also you may be able to simplify your BuildFileList() using globpath()
        instead:

        let files = globpath('dir1,dir2,dir3', '*.[ch]')

        nazri

      • Gary Johnson
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 18, 2013
          On 2013-03-19, Nazri Ramliy wrote:

          > Also you may be able to simplify your BuildFileList() using globpath()
          > instead:
          >
          > let files = globpath('dir1,dir2,dir3', '*.[ch]')

          Even more so by also using writefile():

          call writefile(split(globpath('dir1,dir2,dir3', '**/*.[hc]')), 'cscope.files')

          Note that '**/*.[hc]' causes globpath to search recursively in each
          of the directories. If you don't want that, just use '*.[hc]'.

          Regards,
          Gary

        • Ben Fritz
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 19, 2013
            On Monday, March 18, 2013 5:39:14 PM UTC-5, FlashBurn wrote:
            > I want to create a list of files that my project is using. This list will be stored in a file and subsequently will be used by cscope.

            OK, so the task is to write to a file.

            > Here is what I have so far:
            >
            > function! BuildFileList()
            > s:dir_list = ['dir1', 'dir2', 'dir3']
            > s:output_file = 'cscope.files'
            > redir! > s:output_file

            Here other responses have assumed you are wanting to write to a variable. But, you've said you want to write to a file. So your problem is the classing "didn't realize you can't use variables on the cmd line" problem. To use a variable name in most ex commands, you need to build a string and then execute it rather than inserting the variable name directly. In your case, like this:

            execute "redir! > ".s:output_file

            As Gary points out, it can be more efficient not to use redir at all, but rather to call the writefile function to write directly from a script.

            > for dir in s:dir_list
            > glob(dir.'*.[ch]')
            > endfor

            Here you're attempting to call the glob() function, which returns (but does NOT display) a list. Since you have an active redirection, you should be displaying the output to capture it in the redirection. To accomplish this, use the "echo" command:

            echo glob(dir.'*.[ch]')

            An alternate, better approach is to not use the redirection at all. You can either store the result of glob into a string or list, or just pass the result into the writefile function. See Gary's response.

            > redir END
            > endfunction
            >
            > silent call BuildFileList

            I'm amazed this function call works. I always thought you need to add parentheses at the end like "call BuildFileList()", but apparently it works enough to execute the function and give you error messages! I just learned something...which I will probably continue to not use.

            > I'm getting the following errors when I execute this function:
            > E190: Cannot open "s:output_file" for writing
            > E486: Pattern not found: dir."*.[ch]"
            >
            > Obviously there is something wrong with the way I use redir and glob, but I can't get my finger on it. Does anybody know what am I doing wrong?

            Yup, with both. Good insight :-)

          • Ben Fritz
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 19, 2013
              On Tuesday, March 19, 2013 8:52:09 AM UTC-5, Ben Fritz wrote:
              > But, you've said you want to write to a file. So your problem is the classing "didn't realize you can't use variables on the cmd line" problem.

              "classing"? What's wrong with me today?! I meant "classic" if you can't guess.

            • FlashBurn
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 19, 2013
                On Tuesday, March 19, 2013 9:52:09 AM UTC-4, Ben Fritz wrote:
                > On Monday, March 18, 2013 5:39:14 PM UTC-5, FlashBurn wrote:
                > > I want to create a list of files that my project is using. This list will be stored in a file and subsequently will be used by cscope.
                > >

                > OK, so the task is to write to a file.
                >
                > > Here is what I have so far:
                > >
                > > function! BuildFileList()
                > > s:dir_list = ['dir1', 'dir2', 'dir3']
                > > s:output_file = 'cscope.files'
                > > redir! > s:output_file
                >
                > Here other responses have assumed you are wanting to write to a variable. But, you've said you want to write to a file. So your problem is the classing "didn't realize you can't use variables on the cmd line" problem. To use a variable name in most ex commands, you need to build a string and then execute it rather than inserting the variable name directly. In your case, like this:
                >
                > execute "redir! > ".s:output_file
                >
                > As Gary points out, it can be more efficient not to use redir at all, but rather to call the writefile function to write directly from a script.
                >
                > > for dir in s:dir_list
                > > glob(dir.'*.[ch]')
                > > endfor
                >
                > Here you're attempting to call the glob() function, which returns (but does NOT display) a list. Since you have an active redirection, you should be displaying the output to capture it in the redirection. To accomplish this, use the "echo" command:
                >
                > echo glob(dir.'*.[ch]')
                >
                > An alternate, better approach is to not use the redirection at all. You can either store the result of glob into a string or list, or just pass the result into the writefile function. See Gary's response.
                >
                > > redir END
                > > endfunction
                > >
                > > silent call BuildFileList
                > >

                > I'm amazed this function call works. I always thought you need to add parentheses at the end like "call BuildFileList()", but apparently it works enough to execute the function and give you error messages! I just learned something...which I will probably continue to not use.

                Oops, as it turns out I didn't copy my code properly. This function call doesn't work without the parentheses.