vim, cscope and jump stack

  • FlashBurn
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 15, 2013
      Does anybody know if vim has the ability to store a history of my cscope searches?It would be nice if I could jump back to my previous searches or to the files which I jumped from.

      Any help is appreciated.

    • Gary Johnson
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 15, 2013
        On 2013-03-15, FlashBurn wrote:
        > Does anybody know if vim has the ability to store a history of my
        > cscope searches?It would be nice if I could jump back to my
        > previous searches or to the files which I jumped from.
        >
        > Any help is appreciated.

        As long as you don't exit Vim, the results of the last 10 quickfix
        searches will be kept in a stack. See

        :help quickfix-error-lists

        You can move through the stack with :colder and :cnewer and when
        you've reached the desired one, you can jump to the current error in
        that list with :cc.

        Unfortunately, you can't determine what generated each list, so you
        have to remember what you put on the stack.

        I don't know of any way to save the quickfix stack between Vim
        sessions.

        You can jump back in the list of places you've been with Ctrl-O.
        See

        :help jumplist

        HTH,
        Gary

      • Christian Brabandt
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 16, 2013
          Hi Gary!

          On Fr, 15 Mär 2013, Gary Johnson wrote:

          > Unfortunately, you can't determine what generated each list, so you
          > have to remember what you put on the stack.

          Recent vim versions store that info in the w:quickfix_title variable.

          regards,
          Christian
          --
          Treffen sich zwei Berliner. Sagt der eine:
          "Mensch! Hab ick doch am letzten Sonntag 100 Mark beim Rennen verloren!"

        • Gary Johnson
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 16, 2013
            On 2013-03-16, Christian Brabandt wrote:
            > Hi Gary!
            >
            > On Fr, 15 Mär 2013, Gary Johnson wrote:
            >
            > > Unfortunately, you can't determine what generated each list, so you
            > > have to remember what you put on the stack.
            >
            > Recent vim versions store that info in the w:quickfix_title variable.

            Cool! One can learn a lot here by giving wrong answers. I hardly
            ever open the quickfix window because it hasn't been that useful to
            me. Now I'll use it more.

            Thanks,
            Gary

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 16, 2013
              On 15/03/13 22:10, FlashBurn wrote:
              > Does anybody know if vim has the ability to store a history of my cscope searches?It would be nice if I could jump back to my previous searches or to the files which I jumped from.
              >
              > Any help is appreciated.

              cscope can produce a "quickfix list", y'know, like :helpgrep, :vimgrep,
              :grep and :make do. It can even produce a "location list" (i.e., a
              window-local quickfix list).

              See
              :help csqf
              :help :cscope
              :help :lcscope
              :help if_cscop.txt
              :help quickfix.txt

              This is an especially good time for you vacationers who plan to fly,
              because the Reagan administration, as part of the same policy under
              which it recently sold Yellowstone National Park to Wayne Newton, has
              "deregulated" the airline industry. What this means for you, the
              consumer, is that the airlines are no longer required to follow any
              rules whatsoever. They can show snuff movies. They can charge for
              oxygen. They can hire pilots right out of Vending Machine Refill
              Person School. They can conserve fuel by ejecting husky passengers
              over water. They can ram competing planes in mid-air. These
              innovations have resulted in tremendous cost savings which have been
              passed along to you, the consumer, in the form of flights with
              amazingly low fares, such as $29. Of course, certain restrictions do
              apply, the main one being that all these flights take you to Newark,
              and you must pay thousands of dollars if you want to fly back out.
              -- Dave Barry, "Iowa -- Land of Secure Vacations"