Re: Cursor question

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 13, 2013
      On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 4:34:22 AM UTC-5, rameo wrote:
      > In insert mode I have a blinking vertical bar as cursor.
      >
      > I noted a strange thing when I'm in insert mode:
      > I have to click with the mouse on the next letter in order to put the vertical bar before this letter.
      > When I click on the space between two letters the cursor goes to the space before the previous letter:
      >
      > In notepad and in other applications on my windows system (p.e. writing this message in my browser), the vertical bar goes where I click with the mouse.
      >
      > I would like to have this also in vim.
      > What can I do to obtain this?
      >
      > This is what I have in _vimrc:
      > set guicursor=i-c-ci:ver20-Cursor,r-cr:hor10-RCursor

      I don't think you can obtain this. In Vim the cursor position is always *on* a character. In normal mode this makes much more sense than in insert mode. If you use a box instead of a bar in insert mode I think the box will be where you click.

      Truth be told, I've never noticed this, because I might use the mouse in insert mode once every two or three months. Mostly I move around in normal mode.

    • rameo
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 14, 2013
        Thank you Ben,

        Yes indeed I've never noted it before but these days I had a few times that the cursor moved to the wrong position. I thought it was something in my VIM and I put an empty vim version on my disk but the mouse moved still a few times to the wrong position, so I decided to post this message.
        Well if there is nothing I can do, I have to accept it as it is :)