Re: vim: want control character in substitution string

  • Gary Johnson
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 11, 2013
      On 2013-03-11, Paul wrote:

      > After much reading, I found that I can match ^@ with \%x00 in the
      > search string, but I haven't found a way to specify control characters
      > in the substitution string. Is there a way?

      You can use the nr2char() function as a replacement expression,
      e.g.,

      :%s/\^D/\=nr2char(4)/g

      See

      :help sub-replace-expression
      :help nr2char()

      HTH,
      Gary

    • Paul
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 12, 2013
        On Mar 11, 4:48 pm, Gary Johnson wrote:
        >On 2013-03-11, Paul wrote:
        >> After much reading, I found that I can match ^@ with \%x00 in the
        >> search string, but I haven't found a way to specify control
        >> characters in the substitution string. Is there a way?
        >
        > You can use the nr2char() function as a replacement expression,
        > e.g.,
        >
        > :%s/\^D/\=nr2char(4)/g
        >
        > See
        >
        > :help sub-replace-expression
        > :help nr2char()

        This is great! I learn about nr2char as well as \= at the same time!

        As Ben said, however, ^@ seems special and nr2char(0) doesn't seem to
        stick a ^@ in the substitution. However, his trick of using \n in the
        substitution string gets around that.

        Thanks!

      • Charles Campbell
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 13, 2013
          Paul wrote:
          > <snip> but I haven't found a way to specify control characters
          > in the substitution string. Is there a way?

          Try reading

          :help i_ctrl-v

          Regards,
          C Campbell

        • Paul
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 14, 2013
            On Mar 13, 10:45 am, Charles Campbell wrote:
            > Paul wrote:
            >> <snip> but I haven't found a way to specify control characters
            >> in the substitution string. Is there a way?
            >
            > Try reading
            >
            > :help i_ctrl-v

            Thanks, Charles. I mention ctrl-v in my original post.