Re: Vim on the iPad

  • Eric Weir
    Message 1 of 57 , Mar 10, 2013
      On Mar 10, 2013, at 10:59 AM, David Sanson <dsanson@...> wrote:

      > I assume he means that he has modified the iOS version of Vim that is on GitHub. If you pay the $99 to be a member of the iOS Developer Program, you can build and install apps to your own device for testing purposes, but you can't distribute the built app except through the App Store. So he can't just make his custom build available if he is playing by Apple's rules.
      >
      > If you decide not to play by Apple's rules, you could fork the github project and develop an unfettered version, which you could distribute via Cydia to jailbroken devices. Before putting too much time into that, you'd want to think hard about what you gain over the simpler strategy of using the cli version via a ssh console, which is also available once jailbroken.

      Thanks for the clarification, David. I paid for Apple Care on my device when I purchased it at the end of last year. I think I'll not think about jail breaking it before then.

      And just to make sure, "cli" means "not gui"?

      Eric Weir
      Decatur, GA. USA

      "The invincible shield of caring
      is a weapon from the sky
      against being dead."

      – Tao Te Ching, 67

      > ---

    • Eric Weir
      Message 57 of 57 , Apr 25, 2013
        Thanks, Jeroen,

        On Apr 23, 2013, at 4:33 PM, Jeroen Budts wrote:

        > On 04/22/2013 03:55 PM, Eric Weir wrote:
        >
        > Maybe try creating a documents folder inside the /storage/emulated/0/
        > directory. I think from inside Vim Touch you will be able to refer to
        > that as ~/documents, so that your existing configuration works.

        Yes, it worked.

        > That mostly depends on your personal preference and the length of your
        > .vimrc file. I try to keep only one .vimrc, but my vimrc is over 600
        > lines, so maintaining multiple copies would be a disaster. I do however
        > also maintain a 'mini-vimrc'-file with the (for me) bare minimum config,
        > which I use on my Raspberry Pi and on servers.

        Ah, you have a Raspberry Pi. You seem to go in for minatures. Except in .vimrcs. Mine is a lot shorter.

        >> With a little more experience with the tablet under my belt I am
        >> still thinking about returning the Nexus 7---I have 14 days from
        >> date of purchase to do so---and exchanging it for a nexus 7. While
        >> I'm impressed with the android apps I've found, I see myself
        >> continuing to do everything but run vim on the ipad. Again, what do
        >> you think?
        >
        > Again this is personal preference. Before the Nexus 7, I had a 10"
        > tablet (from Eken) because I suspected that a 7" would be to small. Now
        > that I have a 7", I actually prefer that because it is much more
        > convenient to take with me.
        > But on the Nexus 7 in landscape mode you only have a few lines available
        > for the content of your file as the keyboard fills up half the screen,
        > as you can see on this screenshot:
        > https://www.dropbox.com/s/576imukfgedxter/Screenshot_2013-04-23-22-20-44.png
        > (I have the font size set to 14pt in Vim Touch).
        > In portrait there is a lot more space, but the hackers keyboard becomes
        > really tiny. On my Nexus 4 (4.7") I use also use the hackers keyboard
        > for Vim Touch but there I use the compact qwerty layout for portrait
        > (it's somewhere in the settings of the keyboard).

        I'm gonna give it a shot on the 7. My vim window on my macbook is pretty small. About 11 X 11 cm. If I can get Vim Touch running satisfactorily and find the 7 too small, I'll get myself another 10.

        Didn't know about the compact qwerty layout.

        Eric Weir
        Decatur, GA
        eeweir@...

        "Everywhere the crisis of the private financial system
        has been transformed into a tale of slovenly and overweening government
        that perpetuates and is perpetuated by a dependent and demanding population."

        - Marilynne Robinson