Re: vim voldmarker with a space

  • ping
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 8, 2013
      On 3/8/2013 6:01 PM, Tim Chase wrote:
      > On 2013-03-08 17:13, ping wrote:
      >> See |fold-marker|.
      >> but if I use this:
      >>
      >> :set foldmarker= {,}
      >>
      >> I got E536: comma required: foldmarker=
      >>
      >> why space not supported?
      > You just need to escape the space:
      >
      > :set foldmethod=marker foldmarker=\ {,}
      >
      > which you can read about at
      >
      > :help option-backslash
      >
      > Alternatively, you can use the "let" format:
      >
      > :let &fdm=' {,}'
      >
      > -tim

      this really works! thanks!

      regards
      ping

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 9, 2013
        On Friday, March 8, 2013 7:13:53 PM UTC-6, ping wrote:
        > On 3/8/2013 6:01 PM, Tim Chase wrote:
        >
        > > On 2013-03-08 17:13, ping wrote:
        >
        > >> See |fold-marker|.
        >
        > >> but if I use this:
        >

        > >> :set foldmarker= {,}
        >

        > >> I got E536: comma required: foldmarker=
        >

        > >> why space not supported?
        >
        > > You just need to escape the space:
        >

        > > :set foldmethod=marker foldmarker=\ {,}
        >

        > > which you can read about at
        >

        > > :help option-backslash
        >

        > > Alternatively, you can use the "let" format:
        >

        > > :let &fdm=' {,}'
        >

        > > -tim
        >

        > this really works! thanks!
        >

        > regards
        >
        > ping

        Ping, I see from this final post that your mail reader is capable of using plaintext instead of some HUGE font size HTML formatted monospace font. Do you think you could start doing that for your initial posts as well?

      • ping
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 11, 2013
          sure, sorry, and thanks!

          regards
          ping

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 14, 2013
            On 03/08/2013 06:03 PM, Tim Chase wrote:
            > On 2013-03-08 17:01, Tim Chase wrote:
            >>> :set foldmarker= {,}
            >>
            >> :let &fdm=' {,}'
            >
            > And of course I mean
            >
            > :let &foldmarker=' {,}'
            >
            > here, not &fdm (which is 'foldmethod')
            >
            > -tim

            to continue this topic, so I ran into following text

            event-options {
            policy COMMIT_TRAP {
            events ui_commit;
            attributes-match {
            "^([vz][0-9]{6}|abc)$";
            }
            then {
            raise-trap;
            }
            }
            event-script {
            file
            }
            }

            after folding using the previous solution, I now can fold it as:

            +-- 10 lines: event-options
            +-- 3 lines: event-script
            } <--one extra line here

            so apparently that extra '}" in the line
            "^([vz][0-9]{6}|abc)$";
            is the culprit.

            I hope I can simply do:

            :set foldmarker=\ {,}$

            so the intention is , using }, but only if it's the last char in the
            line, as the marker....

            but according to help foldmarker, it doesn't support regex.
            so that doesn't work.

            I guess there is no good way to achieve that goal?

            thanks!

          • Ben Fritz
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 14, 2013
              On Thursday, March 14, 2013 12:48:09 PM UTC-5, ping wrote:

              > I hope I can simply do:
              >

              > :set foldmarker=\ {,}$
              >

              > so the intention is , using }, but only if it's the last char in the
              >
              > line, as the marker....
              >

              > but according to help foldmarker, it doesn't support regex.
              >
              > so that doesn't work.
              >

              > I guess there is no good way to achieve that goal?

              I think the only way to achieve this is to use a different foldmethod.