Re: Vim on the iPad

  • Jeroen Budts

      On 03/08/2013 05:46 AM, AK wrote:
      > On 12/30/2012 02:33 PM, Jeroen Budts wrote:
      >> On 12/30/2012 07:26 PM, Eric Weir wrote:
      >>>
      >>> I'm likely to purchase an iPad soon and I'm wondering if there
      >>> have been any developments since the discussion here back in
      >>> September.
      >>> <http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/browse_frm/month/2012-09>
      >>> At that time absence of the escape and control keys, lack of a
      >>> file system, and getting files to and from the iPad were the
      >>> main obstacles.
      >>>
      >>> There were work-arounds for most of them, but most of them,
      >>> especially those addressing the lack of a file system, were
      >>> complicated and over-the-head of this non-techie user. But that
      >>> was true of Vim itself when I first contemplated giving it a
      >>> try, and now whether there's a way to get it working on an iPad
      >>> is a consideration in thinking about purchasing an iPad.
      >>>
      >>> So I thought I'd check to see if the situation has changed
      >>> since September.
      >>
      >> I have no idea about the ipad, but I do have some experience in
      >> running Vim on a cheap Android tablet.
      >>
      >> For Android there are at least 3 methods: * vimtouch: which is a
      >> touch-optimized version of vim, but restricted by the normal
      >> android rules (no access to most files etc). For me personally
      >> that is rahter useless. * Terminal IDE: This is a lightweight
      >> Unix environment for Android which includes a fully functional
      >> vim. * Debian Kit: this allows you to install a full (terminal
      >> only) Debian (or Ubuntu) on your Android, which runs together
      >> with Android. I really like this, as it allows you to install
      >> most commandline applications using apt-get, including a full vim
      >> (with Python, Ruby) etc, with your own config, plugins etc.
      >>
      >> Considering the keyboard: if you install the 'hackers keyboard'
      >> (free from Google Play) you get a full qwerty keyboard which
      >> includes keys like control and escape.
      >>
      >> Not sure if this helps...
      >>
      >> Jeroen
      >>

      > One issue I've run into with Vim on stock Android was that I
      > couldn't get either the Esc or the ctrl-[ key to work from the
      > external key- board. Both would result in ^@ character.
      >
      > Is this something that can be fixed? I'm only interested in
      > working with the external keyboard because I can't understand how
      > people can use touch keyboard for anything more than 5-8 characters
      > at a time like typing in a url or something like that.

      I haven't seen this issue. I use a very cheap and small bluetooth
      keyboard for my Google Nexus 7 and I can type Ctrl-[ without any
      problems (the keyboard has no Esc). Most of the time I use CTRL-c
      however as I find that easier to type and I'm used to that from Bash.

      Maybe you can solve this problem with External Keyboard helper?
      https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.apedroid.hwkeyboardhelper&hl=en

      Jeroen

    • Eric Weir
      Message 57 of 57 , Apr 25, 2013
        Thanks, Jeroen,

        On Apr 23, 2013, at 4:33 PM, Jeroen Budts wrote:

        > On 04/22/2013 03:55 PM, Eric Weir wrote:
        >
        > Maybe try creating a documents folder inside the /storage/emulated/0/
        > directory. I think from inside Vim Touch you will be able to refer to
        > that as ~/documents, so that your existing configuration works.

        Yes, it worked.

        > That mostly depends on your personal preference and the length of your
        > .vimrc file. I try to keep only one .vimrc, but my vimrc is over 600
        > lines, so maintaining multiple copies would be a disaster. I do however
        > also maintain a 'mini-vimrc'-file with the (for me) bare minimum config,
        > which I use on my Raspberry Pi and on servers.

        Ah, you have a Raspberry Pi. You seem to go in for minatures. Except in .vimrcs. Mine is a lot shorter.

        >> With a little more experience with the tablet under my belt I am
        >> still thinking about returning the Nexus 7---I have 14 days from
        >> date of purchase to do so---and exchanging it for a nexus 7. While
        >> I'm impressed with the android apps I've found, I see myself
        >> continuing to do everything but run vim on the ipad. Again, what do
        >> you think?
        >
        > Again this is personal preference. Before the Nexus 7, I had a 10"
        > tablet (from Eken) because I suspected that a 7" would be to small. Now
        > that I have a 7", I actually prefer that because it is much more
        > convenient to take with me.
        > But on the Nexus 7 in landscape mode you only have a few lines available
        > for the content of your file as the keyboard fills up half the screen,
        > as you can see on this screenshot:
        > https://www.dropbox.com/s/576imukfgedxter/Screenshot_2013-04-23-22-20-44.png
        > (I have the font size set to 14pt in Vim Touch).
        > In portrait there is a lot more space, but the hackers keyboard becomes
        > really tiny. On my Nexus 4 (4.7") I use also use the hackers keyboard
        > for Vim Touch but there I use the compact qwerty layout for portrait
        > (it's somewhere in the settings of the keyboard).

        I'm gonna give it a shot on the 7. My vim window on my macbook is pretty small. About 11 X 11 cm. If I can get Vim Touch running satisfactorily and find the 7 too small, I'll get myself another 10.

        Didn't know about the compact qwerty layout.

        Eric Weir
        Decatur, GA
        eeweir@...

        "Everywhere the crisis of the private financial system
        has been transformed into a tale of slovenly and overweening government
        that perpetuates and is perpetuated by a dependent and demanding population."

        - Marilynne Robinson