Re: problems setting up makeprg and makeef

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 6, 2013
      On Wednesday, March 6, 2013 3:49:11 PM UTC-6, FlashBurn wrote:

      > I think I know where the problem is.
      > It is the spaces in the path. The error.err file is created. But when vim tries to open there it sees spaces in it, that's why it can't open it. The solution, I decided to use is the 8dot3 path. Thanks for the help everyone.

      That's an acceptable workaround, I think. But maybe it should be supported if it actually isn't. I personally avoid using paths with spaces whenever possible, especially now that I'm on Windows 7 and can use C:\Users instead of "C:\Documents and Settings".

      To make it even nicer for yourself, Vim can automatically build the 8.3 path for you. See:

      :help fnamemodify()
      :help filename-modifiers

    • FlashBurn
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 7, 2013
        On Wednesday, March 6, 2013 5:16:31 PM UTC-5, Ben Fritz wrote:
        > On Wednesday, March 6, 2013 3:49:11 PM UTC-6, FlashBurn wrote:
        > >
        > > I think I know where the problem is.
        > > It is the spaces in the path. The error.err file is created. But when vim tries to open there it sees spaces in it, that's why it can't open it. The solution, I decided to use is the 8dot3 path. Thanks for the help everyone.
        >
        > That's an acceptable workaround, I think. But maybe it should be supported if it actually isn't. I personally avoid using paths with spaces whenever possible, especially now that I'm on Windows 7 and can use C:\Users instead of "C:\Documents and Settings".
        >
        > To make it even nicer for yourself, Vim can automatically build the 8.3 path for you. See:
        >
        > :help fnamemodify()
        > :help filename-modifiers

        Well, I keep finding more problems with my script. It turns out it works find if there are no errors during compilation. Once compiler detects and error during compilation something interesting is happening. It tries to open the error.err file and generates the following error:
        shell returned2
        E303: Unable to open swap file for "and Settings\user\Projects\MyProject\trunk\src\myfile.c
        "and Settings\user\Projects\MyProject\trunk\src\myfile.c,60 Error"[New DIRECTORY]

        Does anybody know what is going on and how I can fix it? Any help is appreciated.

        Here is my project setup script:

        Here is my modified script, using Ben's advice for 8dot3 file path generation.
        " Setup the project home directory.
        let s:project_path = 'C:\Documents and Settings\user\Projects\MyProject\trunk'
        let s:project_path_8dot3 = fnamemodify(s:project_path, ':8')

        " Setup the project home directory.
        let s:vim_project_path = fnameescape(s:project_path)
        set cd=s:project_path_8dot3

        " Setup make command.
        " 1. Use makefile from 'src\makefile'.
        " 2. Change to a 'src' directory before running make.
        let &makeprg = s:project_path_8dot3.'\tools\make.exe'
        let &makeprg .= ' -f '.s:project_path_8dot3.'\src\makefile'
        let &makeprg .= ' --directory '.s:project_path_8dot3.'\src'

        " Setup the file where the output of ':make' will be redirected.
        let &makeef = s:project_path_8dot3.'\src\error.err'

      • Ben Fritz
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 7, 2013
          On Thursday, March 7, 2013 9:43:46 AM UTC-6, FlashBurn wrote:
          > On Wednesday, March 6, 2013 5:16:31 PM UTC-5, Ben Fritz wrote:
          > > On Wednesday, March 6, 2013 3:49:11 PM UTC-6, FlashBurn wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I think I know where the problem is.
          > > > It is the spaces in the path. The error.err file is created. But when vim tries to open there it sees spaces in it, that's why it can't open it. The solution, I decided to use is the 8dot3 path. Thanks for the help everyone.
          > >
          > > That's an acceptable workaround, I think. But maybe it should be supported if it actually isn't. I personally avoid using paths with spaces whenever possible, especially now that I'm on Windows 7 and can use C:\Users instead of "C:\Documents and Settings".
          > >
          > > To make it even nicer for yourself, Vim can automatically build the 8.3 path for you. See:
          > >
          > > :help fnamemodify()
          > > :help filename-modifiers
          >
          > Well, I keep finding more problems with my script. It turns out it works find if there are no errors during compilation. Once compiler detects and error during compilation something interesting is happening. It tries to open the error.err file and generates the following error:
          > shell returned2
          > E303: Unable to open swap file for "and Settings\user\Projects\MyProject\trunk\src\myfile.c
          > "and Settings\user\Projects\MyProject\trunk\src\myfile.c,60 Error"[New DIRECTORY]
          >
          > Does anybody know what is going on and how I can fix it? Any help is appreciated.
          >
          > Here is my project setup script:
          >
          > Here is my modified script, using Ben's advice for 8dot3 file path generation.
          > " Setup the project home directory.
          > let s:project_path = 'C:\Documents and Settings\user\Projects\MyProject\trunk'
          > let s:project_path_8dot3 = fnamemodify(s:project_path, ':8')
          >
          > " Setup the project home directory.
          > let s:vim_project_path = fnameescape(s:project_path)
          > set cd=s:project_path_8dot3

          As Gary mentioned, this "set cd=" line is NOT doing what you seem to think it is doing. Fix this first, it looks like your make program is outputting paths with spaces, and I don't know whether Vim will be able to handle those very well.

          > " Setup make command.
          > " 1. Use makefile from 'src\makefile'.
          > " 2. Change to a 'src' directory before running make.
          > let &makeprg = s:project_path_8dot3.'\tools\make.exe'
          > let &makeprg .= ' -f '.s:project_path_8dot3.'\src\makefile'
          > let &makeprg .= ' --directory '.s:project_path_8dot3.'\src'
          >
          > " Setup the file where the output of ':make' will be redirected.
          > let &makeef = s:project_path_8dot3.'\src\error.err'

          You may need to set the 'errorformat' option as well.

          If I were you, when I'm all done, I'd consider making this a compiler plugin. See :help write-compiler-plugin.

        • Gary Johnson
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 7, 2013
            On 2013-03-07, FlashBurn wrote:

            > Well, I keep finding more problems with my script. It turns out it
            > works find if there are no errors during compilation. Once
            > compiler detects and error during compilation something
            > interesting is happening. It tries to open the error.err file and
            > generates the following error:
            > shell returned2
            > E303: Unable to open swap file for "and Settings\user\Projects\MyProject\trunk\src\myfile.c
            > "and Settings\user\Projects\MyProject\trunk\src\myfile.c,60 Error"[New DIRECTORY]
            >
            > Does anybody know what is going on and how I can fix it? Any help
            > is appreciated.

            This looks like a problem with your 'errorformat'. The compiler
            found an error at line 60 of myfile.c, but your 'errorformat' is
            incorrectly parsing that message so that Vim tries to jump to an
            error in a file named
            "and Settings\user\Projects\MyProject\trunk\src\myfile.c,60 Error".

            Regards,
            Gary

          • Ben Fritz
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 7, 2013
              On Thursday, March 7, 2013 12:51:46 PM UTC-6, Gary Johnson wrote:
              > On 2013-03-07, FlashBurn wrote:
              >
              > > shell returned2
              >
              > > E303: Unable to open swap file for "and Settings\user\Projects\MyProject\trunk\src\myfile.c
              >
              > > "and Settings\user\Projects\MyProject\trunk\src\myfile.c,60 Error"[New DIRECTORY]
              >

              > > Does anybody know what is going on and how I can fix it? Any help
              >
              > > is appreciated.
              >

              > This looks like a problem with your 'errorformat'. The compiler
              >
              > found an error at line 60 of myfile.c, but your 'errorformat' is
              >
              > incorrectly parsing that message so that Vim tries to jump to an
              >
              > error in a file named
              >
              > "and Settings\user\Projects\MyProject\trunk\src\myfile.c,60 Error".

              I agree, but I think getting the "cd" command correct might actually fix this problem, because possibly the OP's make program will not output the full path if it's already running from a directory within that path. But that might be wishful thinking on my part.

              Note that E303 can be caused on Windows 7 because Vim looks in C:\Temp and C:\TMP rather than $TEMP and $TMP for swap files by default; you can fix this by modifying your 'directory' option. But, Vim will still be looking in the wrong location for the file itself. And, Windows 7 has "C:\Users\blah" instead of "C:\Documents and Settings\blah" so it's not as likely to be the cause in this case.

            • Jia Shi
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 12
                On Thursday, March 7, 2013 at 2:02:40 AM UTC+8, FlashBurn wrote:
                > I have setup a vim script to do the following
                >
                > " Setup the project home directory.
                > let s:project_path = 'C:\Documents and Settings\user\Projects\myproject\trunk'
                >
                > " Setup the project home directory such that Vim can understand it. It will
                > " escape white spaces.
                > let s:vim_project_path = fnameescape(s:project_path)
                > " cd to the project directory.
                > set cd=s:vim_project_path
                >
                > " Setup make command such that shell can understand it.
                > " Path to make.exe.
                > let &makeprg = shellescape(s:project_path.'\tools\make.exe')
                > " Use makefile from 'src\makefile'.
                > let &makeprg .= ' -f '.shellescape(s:project_path.'\src\makefile')
                > " Change to a directory 'src' before running make.
                > let &makeprg .= ' --directory '.shellescape(s:project_path.'\src')
                >
                > " Setup the file where the output of ':make' will be redirected.
                > let &makeef = shellescape(s:project_path.'\src\error.err')
                >
                > But for some reason whenever I run :make, I'm getting the following error
                >
                > E40: Can't open errofile :C:/Documents and Settings/user/Projects/myproject/trunk/src/error.err"
                >
                > I looked at help for E40 but nothing really can explain why this is happening.
                >
                > Now if my makeef is setup as follows
                > let &makeef = ""
                >
                > Then Windows redirects the output to a temporary file and there are no issues. I'd like to be able to store the output in a given file not in a temporary file.
                >
                > Does anybody know what is the issue and how it can be fixed?
                >
                > Any help is appreciated.

                The reason for E40 is that make didn't execute successfully for some reason and that temp file didn't get generated, so it failed to open as it was not exist.

                And why make didn't execute successfully? Probably you have broken the command line string limitation: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/830473, and one workaround is to use 8.3 short path format, as you tried, but probably you are not aware of that limitation.