A couple of possible improvements to python omnicomplete.

  • Edd Barrett
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2013

      I have been using vim for many years now and I finally got around to
      trying omni-completion, first with Python. Before this I have just had a
      www browser open on the Python API docs or used pydoc. I am aware of the
      super-extended versions of the standard completer like jedi-vim, but I
      find the default completer sufficiently lightweight and fast.

      I have a few gripes, that to a vim hacker may be trivial fixes(?):

      1) If completion for C-x, C-o yields a single match, then no
      documentation is shown. Why not? The docs are a nice touch and often I
      know the name of the function, just not the parameters.

      2) If you type a whole function name and press C-x, C-o then I get the
      message: "-- Omni completion (^O^N^P) Pattern not found". Why not say
      that there was a single match and show the docs?

      3) After pressing C-x, C-o and continuing typing, the list of
      suggestions disappears. Why not keep it there until a match is typed or
      until there are no longer matches?

      Are these easy fixes? I have had a look in pythoncompletion.vim in an
      attempt to fix 1 and 2, but could not see where the documentation window
      is opened.

      Cheers

      --
      Best Regards
      Edd Barrett

      http://www.theunixzoo.co.uk

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2013
        On Monday, March 4, 2013 4:41:10 AM UTC-6, Edd Barrett wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I have been using vim for many years now and I finally got around to
        > trying omni-completion, first with Python. Before this I have just had a
        > www browser open on the Python API docs or used pydoc. I am aware of the
        > super-extended versions of the standard completer like jedi-vim, but I
        > find the default completer sufficiently lightweight and fast.
        >
        > I have a few gripes, that to a vim hacker may be trivial fixes(?):
        >
        > 1) If completion for C-x, C-o yields a single match, then no
        > documentation is shown. Why not? The docs are a nice touch and often I
        > know the name of the function, just not the parameters.

        :help 'completeopt', I think you just want to add "menuone".

        > 2) If you type a whole function name and press C-x, C-o then I get the
        > message: "-- Omni completion (^O^N^P) Pattern not found". Why not say
        > that there was a single match and show the docs?
        >
        > 3) After pressing C-x, C-o and continuing typing, the list of
        > suggestions disappears. Why not keep it there until a match is typed or
        > until there are no longer matches?

        I don't see either of these when using the omnicomplete function supplied
        by eclim. I'm not sure whether it is a problem with python omni complete,
        or whether it is because of my 'completeopt' settings. Try adding
        "longest" to your completion options to see if it helps; I have that in
        mine. I have not investigated without it.