Unable to compile Vim with Python 3, Perl, and OLE support for Windows XP with MinGW

  • cyboman
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1 12:40 PM
      I tried to post similar question vim_dev group, but I think I posted in the wrong group. I apologize in advance if you have seen this question before. I'm going to try to post it here.

      Issue
      I need to compile Vim with Python 3, Perl, and OLE and OLEsupport.

      Problem 1.
      I tried to compile with OLE support (all I have to do is to set OLE=yes) but for some reason it doesn't work. As far as I understand it links some dll's but In order for them to work I need to copy them into my C:\Program Files\Vim\vim73 directory, specifically libstdc++-6.dll and libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll. Interestingly enough the Unable to locate component doesn't come up when I run vim.exe, it only comes up when I run gvim.exe and when I compile with OLE=yes (i.e if it is compiles with OLE=no gvim.exe works fine). Is there a way to statically link those libraries without the need of copying them?

      Problem 2.
      Python 3 support doesn't work out right. I tried compiling with DYNAMIC_PYTHON3 set to yes as well as no. Whenever I try to run the following on the command line :python3 print(), whether it is (g)vim.exe crashes with a Runtime Library Error. If its vim.exe that crashed, then the command line contains the following message:
      Fatal Python error: take_gil: NULL tstate

      I'm attaching the screenshots of errors. If you have answers to any of those questions, any help is appreciated.

    • cyboman
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1 12:42 PM
        On Friday, March 1, 2013 3:40:53 PM UTC-5, cyboman wrote:
        > I tried to post similar question vim_dev group, but I think I posted in the wrong group. I apologize in advance if you have seen this question before. I'm going to try to post it here.
        >
        > Issue
        > I need to compile Vim with Python 3, Perl, and OLE and OLEsupport.
        >
        > Problem 1.
        > I tried to compile with OLE support (all I have to do is to set OLE=yes) but for some reason it doesn't work. As far as I understand it links some dll's but In order for them to work I need to copy them into my C:\Program Files\Vim\vim73 directory, specifically libstdc++-6.dll and libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll. Interestingly enough the Unable to locate component doesn't come up when I run vim.exe, it only comes up when I run gvim.exe and when I compile with OLE=yes (i.e if it is compiles with OLE=no gvim.exe works fine). Is there a way to statically link those libraries without the need of copying them?
        >
        > Problem 2.
        > Python 3 support doesn't work out right. I tried compiling with DYNAMIC_PYTHON3 set to yes as well as no. Whenever I try to run the following on the command line :python3 print(), whether it is (g)vim.exe crashes with a Runtime Library Error. If its vim.exe that crashed, then the command line contains the following message:
        > Fatal Python error: take_gil: NULL tstate
        >
        > I'm attaching the screenshots of errors. If you have answers to any of those questions, any help is appreciated.

        Here is what I have my .bat file, which I use for compilation. I got this instructions from http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Build_Python-enabled_Vim_on_Windows_with_MinGW and adapted them to my needs.

        @echo off
        REM this file must be run in Vim source directory (e.g., C:\devel\vim73\src)
        REM these folders and files can be deleted after compilation: /gobj/, /obj/, pathdef.c

        REM add "bin" directory of MinGW installation to system PATH
        PATH = C:\MinGW\bin;%PATH%;

        REM build GUI version (gvim.exe)
        mingw32-make.exe -f Make_ming.mak PYTHON3="C:/Python32" PYTHON3_VER=32 DYNAMIC_PYTHON3=yes PERL=C:/Perl PERL_VER=512 DYNAMIC_PERL=yes NETBEANS=no FEATURES=BIG OLE=yes GUI=yes gvim.exe > build_vim_log.txt 2>&1

        REM build console version (vim.exe)
        mingw32-make.exe -f Make_ming.mak PYTHON3="C:/Python32" PYTHON3_VER=32 DYNAMIC_PYTHON3=yes PERL=C:/Perl PERL_VER=512 DYNAMIC_PERL=yes NETBEANS=no FEATURES=BIG OLE=yes GUI=no vim.exe >> build_vim_log.txt 2>&1

        pause

      • cyboman
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1 1:02 PM
          On Friday, March 1, 2013 3:42:30 PM UTC-5, cyboman wrote:
          > On Friday, March 1, 2013 3:40:53 PM UTC-5, cyboman wrote:
          > > I tried to post similar question vim_dev group, but I think I posted in the wrong group. I apologize in advance if you have seen this question before. I'm going to try to post it here.
          > >
          > > Issue
          > > I need to compile Vim with Python 3, Perl, and OLE and OLEsupport.
          > >
          > > Problem 1.
          > > I tried to compile with OLE support (all I have to do is to set OLE=yes) but for some reason it doesn't work. As far as I understand it links some dll's but In order for them to work I need to copy them into my C:\Program Files\Vim\vim73 directory, specifically libstdc++-6.dll and libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll. Interestingly enough the Unable to locate component doesn't come up when I run vim.exe, it only comes up when I run gvim.exe and when I compile with OLE=yes (i.e if it is compiles with OLE=no gvim.exe works fine). Is there a way to statically link those libraries without the need of copying them?
          > >
          > > Problem 2.
          > > Python 3 support doesn't work out right. I tried compiling with DYNAMIC_PYTHON3 set to yes as well as no. Whenever I try to run the following on the command line :python3 print(), whether it is (g)vim.exe crashes with a Runtime Library Error. If its vim.exe that crashed, then the command line contains the following message:
          > > Fatal Python error: take_gil: NULL tstate
          > >
          > > I'm attaching the screenshots of errors. If you have answers to any of those questions, any help is appreciated.
          >
          > Here is what I have my .bat file, which I use for compilation. I got this instructions from http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Build_Python-enabled_Vim_on_Windows_with_MinGW and adapted them to my needs.
          >
          > @echo off
          > REM this file must be run in Vim source directory (e.g., C:\devel\vim73\src)
          > REM these folders and files can be deleted after compilation: /gobj/, /obj/, pathdef.c
          >
          > REM add "bin" directory of MinGW installation to system PATH
          > PATH = C:\MinGW\bin;%PATH%;
          >
          > REM build GUI version (gvim.exe)
          > mingw32-make.exe -f Make_ming.mak PYTHON3="C:/Python32" PYTHON3_VER=32 DYNAMIC_PYTHON3=yes PERL=C:/Perl PERL_VER=512 DYNAMIC_PERL=yes NETBEANS=no FEATURES=BIG OLE=yes GUI=yes gvim.exe > build_vim_log.txt 2>&1
          >
          > REM build console version (vim.exe)
          > mingw32-make.exe -f Make_ming.mak PYTHON3="C:/Python32" PYTHON3_VER=32 DYNAMIC_PYTHON3=yes PERL=C:/Perl PERL_VER=512 DYNAMIC_PERL=yes NETBEANS=no FEATURES=BIG OLE=yes GUI=no vim.exe >> build_vim_log.txt 2>&1
          >
          > pause

          Well I found a solution to the python issue. Here it is
          http://markmail.org/thread/5lqelk2pfjobfwom

          But I still need a way to statically link those two libraries. Any help is appreciated.

        • Ben Fritz
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1 1:39 PM
            On Friday, March 1, 2013 2:40:53 PM UTC-6, cyboman wrote:
            > I tried to post similar question vim_dev group, but I think I posted in the wrong group. I apologize in advance if you have seen this question before. I'm going to try to post it here.
            >
            > Issue
            > I need to compile Vim with Python 3, Perl, and OLE and OLEsupport.

            I consider compiling Vim from source to be related enough to development to make vim_dev a decent place to ask. I answered there.