can :sp borrow something from :b

  • Jim Green
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2013
      Dear list:
      assume i have two buffers in my vim session

      1 abc.txt
      2 xyz.txt

      I am currently in buffer 1 abc.txt

      I can use :b z and tab completion to open buffer 2 xyz.txt because vim is smart to determine that only buffer 2 has letter z in its name

      now I want use :sp z to have the same smartness but it doesn't seem to work that way. I can only sp #2 to split the second buffer.

      Could anyone share some ideas?

      Thanks!
      Jim.

    • Ethan Hereth

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2013
          On Friday, March 1, 2013 2:36:45 PM UTC-6, Jim Green wrote:
          > Dear list:
          > assume i have two buffers in my vim session
          >
          > 1 abc.txt
          > 2 xyz.txt
          >
          > I am currently in buffer 1 abc.txt
          >
          > I can use :b z and tab completion to open buffer 2 xyz.txt because vim is smart to determine that only buffer 2 has letter z in its name
          >
          > now I want use :sp z to have the same smartness but it doesn't seem to work that way. I can only sp #2 to split the second buffer.
          >
          > Could anyone share some ideas?
          >
          > Thanks!
          > Jim.

          Use :sb (short for :sbuffer) instead of :sp or :b

        • Jim Green
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2013
            On 1 March 2013 16:37, Ethan Hereth <advocateddrummer@...> wrote:
            > Have you looked into the CtrlP plugin? You can use it to 'fuzzy find' files
            > like you are describing and then I believe there are options to open them in
            > a new split window, or tab, and probably other options.
            >
            > Ethan Alan

            I tried similar plugins such as mini buf exp or buf explorer before
            but finally returned to simple vim own commands. I felt the plugins
            sometimes get in my way.

            > On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 3:36 PM, Jim Green <student.northwestern@...>
            > wrote:
            >>
            >> Dear list:
            >> assume i have two buffers in my vim session
            >>
            >> 1 abc.txt
            >> 2 xyz.txt
            >>
            >> I am currently in buffer 1 abc.txt
            >>
            >> I can use :b z and tab completion to open buffer 2 xyz.txt because vim is
            >> smart to determine that only buffer 2 has letter z in its name
            >>
            >> now I want use :sp z to have the same smartness but it doesn't seem to
            >> work that way. I can only sp #2 to split the second buffer.
            >>
            >> Could anyone share some ideas?
            >>
            >> Thanks!
            >> Jim.
            >>
            >> --
            >> --
            >>
            >> ---

            > ---

          • Jim Green
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 1, 2013
              On 1 March 2013 16:38, Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:
              > On Friday, March 1, 2013 2:36:45 PM UTC-6, Jim Green wrote:
              >> Dear list:
              >> assume i have two buffers in my vim session
              >>
              >> 1 abc.txt
              >> 2 xyz.txt
              >>
              >> I am currently in buffer 1 abc.txt
              >>
              >> I can use :b z and tab completion to open buffer 2 xyz.txt because vim is smart to determine that only buffer 2 has letter z in its name
              >>
              >> now I want use :sp z to have the same smartness but it doesn't seem to work that way. I can only sp #2 to split the second buffer.
              >>
              >> Could anyone share some ideas?
              >>
              >> Thanks!
              >> Jim.
              >
              > Use :sb (short for :sbuffer) instead of :sp or :b

              this is great. have used vim for about 10 years and never heard about
              such a nice thing. thanks!