Re: Favourite Terminal for use with vim ?

  • Erik Christiansen
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1, 2013
      On 26.02.13 20:11, Tobias Klausmann wrote:
      > On Wed, 13 Feb 2013, Erik Christiansen wrote:
      > > programmer and for banging out posts within mutt. I've heard of people
      > > preferring urxvt, but never figured out why.
      >
      > For a long time, urxvt's unicode support was multiple orders of
      > magnitude better than xterm's (as in: xterm didn't have any). If
      > you use more than the 26 Latin chars used in ASCII English in your
      > everyday language, proper first-order support is important. Since
      > you're an old fart like me: Unicode support was/is the modern
      > equivalent of being 8-bit clean.

      Many thanks for that insight, Tobias.
      By the time I needed to move to utf-8, xterm not only had its -u8 and
      -wc options, but seems to handle as much as I encounter, by default.

      > Also, urxvt can be compiled to be very, very small, which some
      > people prefer for whatever reason.

      Now that can be good to know. (I went for Debian with LXDE on my laptop,
      to speed up booting, for example.)

      Erik

      --
      We are drowning in information but starved for knowledge.
      - John Naisbitt, Megatrends

    • Tobias Klausmann
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 1, 2013
        Hi!

        On Fri, 01 Mar 2013, Erik Christiansen wrote:
        > On 26.02.13 20:11, Tobias Klausmann wrote:
        > > Also, urxvt can be compiled to be very, very small, which
        > > some people prefer for whatever reason.
        >
        > Now that can be good to know. (I went for Debian with LXDE on
        > my laptop, to speed up booting, for example.)

        The thing about urxvt in this regard is mostly modularity. In the
        configure phase, you can remove a _lot_ of stuff. Here's a
        comparison to rxvt from the FAQ:

        http://pod.tst.eu/http://cvs.schmorp.de/rxvt-unicode/doc/rxvt.7.pod#Isn_t_rxvt_unicode_supposed_to_be_sm

        That said, I don't agree with all of the author's notions of
        "what a terminal needs". Then again, I can get what I want out of
        it, so I'm a happy camper.

        Regards,
        Tobias

        --
        printk("Illegal format on cdrom. Pester manufacturer.\n");
        linux-2.2.16/fs/isofs/inode.c

      • joe M
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 5, 2013
          check out st, from suckless.org. simple, and works like a charm.

          I use it with "st -e tmux".