Re: vim edit help

  • vicky b
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2013
      actuall i have to 11 such variables can you please help

      var flightDelay = new Array("tvlPlyCp","tvlPlcyCertID","tvlShdIt","tvlConfArlSupId","tvlConfArlcompaid","tvlRepeei","tvlPolRep");
      var baggageDelay = new Array("tvlPlyCp","tvlPlcyCertID","tvlShdIt","tvlProIr","tvlConfArlcompaid","tvlRepeei","tvlPolRep");
      var baggageLoss = new Array("tvlPlyCp","tvlPlcyCertID","tvlShdIt","tvlProIr","tvlListLost","tvlPolRep");
      var tripCacel = new Array("tvlPlyCp","tvlPlcyCertID","tvlShdIt","tvlConfArlcompaid","tvlRrepdsc","tvlPolRep");
      var repariation = new Array("tvlPlyCp","tvlPlcyCertID","tvlShdIt","tvlMdRp","tvlRee","tvldc","tvlPolRep","tvladrdc");
      var accidentalDisablement = new Array("tvlPlyCp","tvlPlcyCertID","tvlShdIt","tvlMdRp","tvlPolRep","tvladrdc");
      var lossOfTravel = new Array("tvlPlyCp","tvlPlcyCertID","tvlShdIt","tvlMhdr","tvlPolRep","tvladrdc");
      var secureWallet= new Array("tvlPlyCp","tvlPlcyCertID","tvlShdIt","tvlMhdr","tvlPolRep","tvladrdc");
      var others= new Array("tvlPlyCp","tvlPlcyCertID","tvlShdIt","tvlRrepdsc","tvlPolRep","tvladrdc");

      On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 12:25 AM, vicky b <vickyb2084@...> wrote:
      Can you  please explain more on this section

      /Array<CR>
      ciwdojox.collections.ArrayList<Esc>

      On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 12:17 AM, Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:
      On Thursday, February 28, 2013 12:33:23 PM UTC-6, vicky b wrote:
      > HI All,
      >

      >  I have text in below format
      > var illness = new Array("tvlPlyCp","tvlPlcyCertID","tvlShdIt","tvlRepMedEi","tvlMdRp","tvlRrepdsc","tvlPolRep")
      >

      > i need to convert it
      >

      > var illness = new dojox.collections.ArrayList();
      > illness.add("tvlPlyCp");
      > illness.add("tvlPlcyCertID")
      >
      > illness.add("tvlShdIt")
      >

      > illness.add("tvlRepMedEi")
      > illness.add("tvlMdRp");
      > illness.add("tvlRrepdsc");
      > illness.add("tvlPolRep");
      >

      > Can anybody help me on this--
      > Thanks & Regards
      >  Vickyb

      Here regular expressions are your friend.

      I'd start by changing the "new" line to be correct:
      /Array<CR>
      ciwdojox.collections.ArrayList<Esc>
      f(
      dib

      Now paste the deleted list of initializers on a new line and put it in the right format:
      o<Esc>
      :s#"[^"]\+",\?\s*#illness.add(\0);\r#g

      Done!

      All this is untested but it's pretty straightforward so you should be able to fix it.

      Help topics so you know what you're doing:
      :help text-objects
      :help :s
      :help /\0
      :help /[
      :help /\+
      :help /\?
      :help /\s

      Thanks & Regards
       Vickyb

      --
      Thanks & Regards
       Vickyb

    • Benji Fisher
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 28, 2013
        First, the explanation.  See the references that Ben Fritz already listed.

        /Array<CR>:  Search for the text "Array".  Do not type <CR> literally:  it means hit Enter or Return.
        ciw:  Change the word (text object).  You could also use cw or ce (change word or change to end)
        dojox.collections.ArrayList:  This will be added to the buffer, since you are in Insert mode after ciw.
        <Esc>:  Leave Insert mode.  Do not type it literally.

        As for doing it 11 times, I would record a macro, starting before the search command and ending after the :s command.  Roughly, if I want to use the x register for the macro (qx)

        qx
        /Array<CR>
        ciwdojox.collections.ArrayList<Esc>
        ^w"yye
        f(
        dib
        o<Esc>
        :s#"[^"]\+",\?\s*#<C-R>y.add(\0);\r#g

        (Note that I have yanked into the y register instead of typing the word "illness" literally.)  If all of the works, then you can repeat it with

        @x
        @x
        8@x

        :help recording

        --
        HTH
        Benji Fisher

      • Marc Weber
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2013
          Excerpts from vicky b's message of Thu Feb 28 19:33:23 +0100 2013:
          > I have text in below format
          > var illness = new
          > Array("tvlPlyCp","tvlPlcyCertID","tvlShdIt","tvlRepMedEi","tvlMdRp","tvlRrepdsc","tvlPolRep")
          >
          > i need to convert it
          >
          > var illness = new dojox.collections.ArrayList();
          > illness.add("tvlPlyCp");
          > illness.add("tvlPlcyCertID")
          [..]

          Why? it will be more bytes to sent to the client.
          dojox documentation says there is addRange(array) - maybe it just
          does what you're looking for.

          If not you can create a helper function, too:

          funtion new_dojox_collection(){
          var r = new ..
          for each elem in argumets
          r.add(elem)
          return r;
          }

          You can solve it by vim, but you don't have to. such shortuts can make
          sense if you use them a lot.

          Marc Weber