vim edit help

  • vicky b
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2013

      HI All,

       I have text in below format
      var illness = new Array("tvlPlyCp","tvlPlcyCertID","tvlShdIt","tvlRepMedEi","tvlMdRp","tvlRrepdsc","tvlPolRep")

      i need to convert it

      var illness = new dojox.collections.ArrayList();
      illness.add("tvlPlyCp");
      illness.add("tvlPlcyCertID")
      illness.add("tvlShdIt")

      illness.add("tvlRepMedEi")
      illness.add("tvlMdRp");
      illness.add("tvlRrepdsc");
      illness.add("tvlPolRep");

      Can anybody help me on this
      --
      Thanks & Regards
       Vickyb

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 28, 2013
        On Thursday, February 28, 2013 12:33:23 PM UTC-6, vicky b wrote:
        > HI All,
        >

        >  I have text in below format
        > var illness = new Array("tvlPlyCp","tvlPlcyCertID","tvlShdIt","tvlRepMedEi","tvlMdRp","tvlRrepdsc","tvlPolRep")
        >

        > i need to convert it
        >

        > var illness = new dojox.collections.ArrayList();
        > illness.add("tvlPlyCp");
        > illness.add("tvlPlcyCertID")
        >
        > illness.add("tvlShdIt")
        >

        > illness.add("tvlRepMedEi")
        > illness.add("tvlMdRp");
        > illness.add("tvlRrepdsc");
        > illness.add("tvlPolRep");
        >

        > Can anybody help me on this--
        > Thanks & Regards
        >  Vickyb

        Here regular expressions are your friend.

        I'd start by changing the "new" line to be correct:
        /Array<CR>
        ciwdojox.collections.ArrayList<Esc>
        f(
        dib

        Now paste the deleted list of initializers on a new line and put it in the right format:
        o<Esc>
        :s#"[^"]\+",\?\s*#illness.add(\0);\r#g

        Done!

        All this is untested but it's pretty straightforward so you should be able to fix it.

        Help topics so you know what you're doing:
        :help text-objects
        :help :s
        :help /\0
        :help /[
        :help /\+
        :help /\?
        :help /\s

      • vicky b
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 28, 2013
          Can you  please explain more on this section

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 28, 2013
            actuall i have to 11 such variables can you please help

            var flightDelay = new Array("tvlPlyCp","tvlPlcyCertID","tvlShdIt","tvlConfArlSupId","tvlConfArlcompaid","tvlRepeei","tvlPolRep");
            var baggageDelay = new Array("tvlPlyCp","tvlPlcyCertID","tvlShdIt","tvlProIr","tvlConfArlcompaid","tvlRepeei","tvlPolRep");
            var baggageLoss = new Array("tvlPlyCp","tvlPlcyCertID","tvlShdIt","tvlProIr","tvlListLost","tvlPolRep");
            var tripCacel = new Array("tvlPlyCp","tvlPlcyCertID","tvlShdIt","tvlConfArlcompaid","tvlRrepdsc","tvlPolRep");
            var repariation = new Array("tvlPlyCp","tvlPlcyCertID","tvlShdIt","tvlMdRp","tvlRee","tvldc","tvlPolRep","tvladrdc");
            var accidentalDisablement = new Array("tvlPlyCp","tvlPlcyCertID","tvlShdIt","tvlMdRp","tvlPolRep","tvladrdc");
            var lossOfTravel = new Array("tvlPlyCp","tvlPlcyCertID","tvlShdIt","tvlMhdr","tvlPolRep","tvladrdc");
            var secureWallet= new Array("tvlPlyCp","tvlPlcyCertID","tvlShdIt","tvlMhdr","tvlPolRep","tvladrdc");
            var others= new Array("tvlPlyCp","tvlPlcyCertID","tvlShdIt","tvlRrepdsc","tvlPolRep","tvladrdc");

          • Benji Fisher
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 28, 2013
              First, the explanation.  See the references that Ben Fritz already listed.

              /Array<CR>:  Search for the text "Array".  Do not type <CR> literally:  it means hit Enter or Return.
              ciw:  Change the word (text object).  You could also use cw or ce (change word or change to end)
              dojox.collections.ArrayList:  This will be added to the buffer, since you are in Insert mode after ciw.
              <Esc>:  Leave Insert mode.  Do not type it literally.

              As for doing it 11 times, I would record a macro, starting before the search command and ending after the :s command.  Roughly, if I want to use the x register for the macro (qx)

              qx
              /Array<CR>
              ciwdojox.collections.ArrayList<Esc>
              ^w"yye
              f(
              dib
              o<Esc>
              :s#"[^"]\+",\?\s*#<C-R>y.add(\0);\r#g

              (Note that I have yanked into the y register instead of typing the word "illness" literally.)  If all of the works, then you can repeat it with

              @x
              @x
              8@x

              :help recording

              --
              HTH
              Benji Fisher

            • Marc Weber
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 1, 2013
                Excerpts from vicky b's message of Thu Feb 28 19:33:23 +0100 2013:
                > I have text in below format
                > var illness = new
                > Array("tvlPlyCp","tvlPlcyCertID","tvlShdIt","tvlRepMedEi","tvlMdRp","tvlRrepdsc","tvlPolRep")
                >
                > i need to convert it
                >
                > var illness = new dojox.collections.ArrayList();
                > illness.add("tvlPlyCp");
                > illness.add("tvlPlcyCertID")
                [..]

                Why? it will be more bytes to sent to the client.
                dojox documentation says there is addRange(array) - maybe it just
                does what you're looking for.

                If not you can create a helper function, too:

                funtion new_dojox_collection(){
                var r = new ..
                for each elem in argumets
                r.add(elem)
                return r;
                }

                You can solve it by vim, but you don't have to. such shortuts can make
                sense if you use them a lot.

                Marc Weber