Re: dbext and sqlplus without tnsnames

  • David Fishburn
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 26, 2013

      On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 6:32 PM, Vitor Eiji Justus Sakaguti <vitoreiji0@...> wrote:

      I'm trying to setup a dbext environment on a Windows machine to
      connect to a remote Oracle database.
      However, I don't have write access to tnsnames.ora and cannot add the
      proper entry for the database to which I need to connect.

      I tried several different forms of profile setting, according to the
      very examples in the help file

      Two suggestions:

      1.  :DBSetOption display_cmd_line=1
      2.  Try each profile setting.
      - Show us the profile string you used.
      - Show us the sqlplus cmd line generated.
      - Show us the error.

      but whatever I did, when I tried to
      execute somthing I saw that a cmd.exe was run with something like
      this:

      cmd.exe /c sqlplus -S "myUser/myPass@myServiceName"
      @C:\Users\More\Path\dbext.sql > C:\You\Get\The\idea\sdkfg.tmp 2>&1

      The :DBSetOption above will show you this cmd line in the normal dbext output buffer.

      From the dbext.txt I suspect the example that you want to use for your profile is:
          let g:dbext_default_profile_ORA_Extended = 'type=ORA:user=scott:passwd=tiger:srvname=(description=(address=(protocol=TCP)(host=localhost)(port=1521))(connect_data=(server=dedicated)(service_name=10gR2)))'

      Also, if you continue have problems can you run:
      :DBGetOption

      And post it's contents with your other output from above.

      David

    • Vitor Eiji Justus Sakaguti
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 27, 2013
        Hi David,

        On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 10:17 PM, David Fishburn
        <dfishburn.vim@...> wrote:
        > Two suggestions:
        >
        > 1. :DBSetOption display_cmd_line=1
        > 2. Try each profile setting.
        > - Show us the profile string you used.
        > - Show us the sqlplus cmd line generated.
        > - Show us the error.

        Thank you, that really helped me figure out what I was doing wrong!
        (I won't paste the results here since what I was doing was really
        stupid, as I suspected)

        > From the dbext.txt I suspect the example that you want to use for your
        > profile is:
        > let g:dbext_default_profile_ORA_Extended =
        > 'type=ORA:user=scott:passwd=tiger:srvname=(description=(address=(protocol=TCP)(host=localhost)(port=1521))(connect_data=(server=dedicated)(service_name=10gR2)))'

        You're right, that is the one I needed. I had tested it before bu
        thought it didn't work because I was sending my queries to sqlplus
        without a semicolon at the end, so it would hang forever!

        By the way, is there any way to do that automatically in dbext? I'm
        really not used to doing it in the graphical DEs I use and it would be
        nice to get the same behavior with dbext.

        Thank you!

        Vitor

      • David Fishburn
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 27, 2013
          You're right, that is the one I needed. I had tested it before bu
          thought it didn't work because I was sending my queries to sqlplus
          without a semicolon at the end, so it would hang forever!

          By the way, is there any way to do that automatically in dbext?

          We can take this off list and you can email me directly.
          In short, dbext is supposed to automatically terminate your command if one is not already present.

          After you have connected and sent a request, can you run:
          :DBGetOption

          And send me the output.

          David