Re: How to refresh (reload) an opened file?

  • Gary Johnson
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 26, 2013
      On 2013-02-26, Tim Chase wrote:
      > On 2013-02-26 10:53, Andy Richer wrote:
      > > I opened a report file that is changed once I correct some code and
      > > re-generate report.
      > > Is there a way that I can do "refresh" or "reload" without quit the
      > > re-open the file to see updated contents?
      >
      > Depends on what behavior you want, and whether you want to preserve
      > any changes you made in the first version of the output. To re-read
      > the file from disk, you can use
      >
      > :e
      >
      > (note: no filename) If you've made changes in the current buffer,
      > you can abandon those with
      >
      > :e!
      >
      > If you want to keep the current version in Vim and read the existing
      > file into another buffer, ...

      An easy way to compare the current buffer contents with the version
      on-disk is to use the DiffOrig command. See

      :help DiffOrig

      Regards,
      Gary

    • taco
      Message 2 of 13 , May 17, 2013
        :e
        On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 10:53:00AM -0800, Andy Richer wrote:
        > Hi vim Guru:
        > I opened a report file that is changed once I correct some code and
        > re-generate report.
        > Is there a way that I can do "refresh" or "reload" without quit the
        > re-open the file to see updated contents?
        > Thanks in advance
        > Andy Richer

        > For more information, visit [1]http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
        >
        > ---
        >
        > References
        >
        > 1. http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
        > 2. https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out

      • Sam Roberts
        Message 3 of 13 , May 18, 2013
          :e %

          e is edit
          % is current file name

        • Tim Chase
          Message 4 of 13 , May 18, 2013
            On 2013-05-18 08:42, Sam Roberts wrote:
            > :e %
            >
            > e is edit
            > % is current file name

            The "%" is optional, as that's the default if you don't specify
            anything. If you've made unsaved changes to your current buffer,
            you'll need to "!" it:

            :e!

            Note that reloading loses things like the jump-list and undo history
            for the buffer, so it might be better to do something like

            :%d
            :$r %
            :0d

            which should keep at least preserve the undo history though the
            reload.

            -tim

          • Ben Fritz
            Message 5 of 13 , May 19, 2013
              On Saturday, May 18, 2013 4:20:48 PM UTC-5, Tim Chase wrote:

              > Note that reloading loses things like the jump-list and undo history
              >
              > for the buffer, so it might be better to do something like
              >

              > :%d
              >
              > :$r %
              >
              > :0d
              >

              > which should keep at least preserve the undo history though the
              >
              > reload.
              >

              > -tim

              As I mentioned back in February, if you have 'undofile' and 'undoreload' set properly, you can actually undo reading in the file if it abandoned your unsaved changes.

            • Tim Chase
              Message 6 of 13 , May 19, 2013
                On 2013-05-19 18:20, Ben Fritz wrote:
                > On Saturday, May 18, 2013 4:20:48 PM UTC-5, Tim Chase wrote:
                >> Note that reloading loses things like the jump-list and undo
                >> history
                >
                > As I mentioned back in February, if you have 'undofile' and
                > 'undoreload' set properly, you can actually undo reading in the
                > file if it abandoned your unsaved changes.

                Ah, I knew this thread sounded familiar, and I'd forgotten about
                that. I'm not sure why the thread was resurrected 3 months later o_O

                -tim