Re: Always restore buffer list from .viminfo file

  • Arvid Warnecke
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 25, 2013
      Hello,

      On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 09:07:28AM -0800, Ben Fritz wrote:
      > On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 3:26:17 AM UTC-6, Arvid Warnecke wrote:
      > > is there any chance to recover all opened buffers in vim from the
      > >
      > > ~/.viminfo file somehow?
      > >
      > > I understood that vim trashes the buffers list when vim is started with
      > > a specific file to edit. But as I use vim in mutt as my default editor
      > > as well, I always loose my buffers because mutt opens it like this:
      > >
      > > `vim /tmp/mutt-archbookPro-1000-895-3021467551525290154`
      > >
      > > So it does not help when I try to use only one vim instance running on
      > > my workstation to keep all buffers around.
      > >

      > I don't know anything about keeping the buffer list around like you
      > want, but I do use the MRU plugin for a reasonably nice way to go back
      > to the last few files I was editing.

      Thank you for pointing me to this plugin. It's an option, but not
      exactly what I was hoping for.

      Cheers,
      Arvid

      --
      [ Arvid Warnecke ][ arvid (at) nostalgix (dot) org ]
      [ IRC/OPN: "madhatter" ][ http://www.nostalgix.org ]
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 26, 2013
        On 20/02/13 10:26, Arvid Warnecke wrote:
        >Hello,
        >
        >is there any chance to recover all opened buffers in vim from the
        >~/.viminfo file somehow?
        >I understood that vim trashes the buffers list when vim is started with
        >a specific file to edit. But as I use vim in mutt as my default editor
        >as well, I always loose my buffers because mutt opens it like this:
        >
        >`vim /tmp/mutt-archbookPro-1000-895-3021467551525290154`
        >
        >So it does not help when I try to use only one vim instance running on
        >my workstation to keep all buffers around.
        >
        >I read something about v:oldfiles, but I have no clue how this file
        >might be of any help, because I just have a list of all old files in a
        >new buffer. I am not able to restore the buffers from it.
        >
        >Best regards,
        >Arvid

        Maybe :mksession is the right answer for you...

        :h mksession

        see point #7.

        Best regards.

      • Adrian Luff
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 26, 2013
          I use the following lines in my .vimrc…

          > " Auto save/load session
          > function! CheckSessionFile()
          > if filereadable(expand("$HOME/.vim/session/default.vim"))
          > source $HOME/.vim/session/default.vim
          > endif
          > endfunction
          >

          > if has('gui_running')
          > autocmd VimLeave * mksession! $HOME/.vim/session/default.vim
          > autocmd VimEnter * nested call CheckSessionFile()
          > autocmd * SessionLoadPost source $MYVIMRC
          > endif

          This automatically saves a session when GUI Vim leaves and loads the session file if it exists on start up. It may not work well for you since it sounds like you're always in terminal Vim but I thought I'd pass it along.

          -Adrian

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 26, 2013
            Hello Emmanuel,

            On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 11:01:10AM +0100, Emmanuel GALLOIS wrote:
            > On 20/02/13 10:26, Arvid Warnecke wrote:
            > >is there any chance to recover all opened buffers in vim from the
            > >~/.viminfo file somehow?
            > >I understood that vim trashes the buffers list when vim is started with
            > >a specific file to edit. But as I use vim in mutt as my default editor
            > >as well, I always loose my buffers because mutt opens it like this:
            > >
            > >`vim /tmp/mutt-archbookPro-1000-895-3021467551525290154`
            > >

            > Maybe :mksession is the right answer for you...
            >
            > :h mksession
            >
            > see point #7.

            Thank you. This seems to be a solution, I will give it a try. The only
            thing that might cause some trouble is that I will still have multiple
            vim sessions, because mutt, crontab and others won't use the vim I
            always have open for coding.

            Cheers,
            Arvid

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 26, 2013
              Hello Adrian,

              On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 08:21:23AM -0800, Adrian Luff wrote:
              > I use the following lines in my .vimrc…
              >
              > > " Auto save/load session
              > > function! CheckSessionFile()
              > > if filereadable(expand("$HOME/.vim/session/default.vim"))
              > > source $HOME/.vim/session/default.vim
              > > endif
              > > endfunction
              > >

              > > if has('gui_running')
              > > autocmd VimLeave * mksession! $HOME/.vim/session/default.vim
              > > autocmd VimEnter * nested call CheckSessionFile()
              > > autocmd * SessionLoadPost source $MYVIMRC
              > > endif
              >
              > This automatically saves a session when GUI Vim leaves and loads the
              > session file if it exists on start up.

              Thank you. I think some function like that might be helpful.

              > It may not work well for you since it sounds like you're always in
              > terminal Vim but I thought I'd pass it along.

              No, I don't believe in GUIs.

              Cheers,
              Arvid