Re: Vim wiki editable by git

  • Marc Weber
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 25, 2013
      I've just started the effort:
      https://github.com/MarcWeber/vim-git-wiki

      Join, contribute and provide feedback. If everybody only adds
      information about what he/she knows best we'll have the greatest
      resource very fast. Then its time to put it online at www.vim.org if
      Bram agrees (I guess he will).

      Marc Weber

    • Eric Weir
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 25, 2013
        On Feb 25, 2013, at 9:35 AM, Marc Weber <marco-oweber@...> wrote:

        > If everybody only adds
        > information about what he/she knows best we'll have the greatest
        > resource very fast.

        Should work. But how will you insure that it doesn't become just another complete, unselective collection, i.e., that only the best,plugins are included?

        Eric Weir
        Decatur, GA. USA

        "The invincible shield of caring
        is a weapon from the sky
        against being dead."

        – Tao Te Ching, 67

      • glts
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 26, 2013
          Hi Marc

          I made my own list of popular plugins recently. My approach was less
          wiki, more "wikimatrix.org". Maybe you can find some useful ideas in
          there:

          http://glts.github.com/VimPluginMatrix/

          Cheers, glts

        • Marc Weber
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 26, 2013
            > http://glts.github.com/VimPluginMatrix/
            You're welcome to join and contribute. In which way does your list
            differ from what www.vim.org provides?

            Example: does it tell me why you starred pathogen and not Vundle or VAM
            (using plugin management filter?)

            You have both in the list: YouCompleteMe and neocomplcache - which one
            do you use for what reason?

            I think this is the information users are looking for.

            I don't understand what PnP means. Probably you mean viml only - no need
            to compile vim with python or external tools?

            Marc Weber

          • glts
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 26, 2013
              Oh, it's just a personal list, something I could point a newcomer to. If
              you take a look at "wikimatrix.org": I think that's an excellent format,
              lots of tabular data points that you can compare directly with one
              another.

              I just tried to emulate that format in a primitive way. The date should
              give some indication whether development is active, the "plug-and-play"
              tick should tell you if you can just unzip/git clone and don't need
              external dependencies/config, etc.

            • Marc Weber
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 27, 2013
                Excerpts from glts's message of Tue Feb 26 22:15:55 +0100 2013:
                > Oh, it's just a personal list, something I could point a newcomer to. If
                > you take a look at "wikimatrix.org": I think that's an excellent format,
                > lots of tabular data points that you can compare directly with one
                > another.
                Which says nothing. Again - why do you prefer pathogen over the others?
                Why is it starred? That's why your list is useless.

                My goal is a guide like this:

                A lot of people prefer X for this reason, others prefer Y for that
                reason. Then people know which solution to choose and why without trying
                everything and the kitchen sink.

                Marc Weber

              • Antony Scriven
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 28, 2013
                  On 24 February 2013 23:34, Marc Weber wrote:

                  > As you all know I wrote VAM to solve a problem: Vim plugins
                  > distribution.
                  >
                  > The Vim community suffers from a second problem: There
                  > are many plugins - some are outdated - and its sometimes
                  > hard to find the "jewels" - because they may be hosted on
                  > github only. There is a wiki, but its not integrated in
                  > the main site - neither is it easy for external people to
                  > hack on it just using what they know best: "Vim" (right?)
                  >
                  > For this reason I'd like to start a wiki like text file
                  > based git repository which summarizes the most useful
                  > tools (and maybe alternatives) so that people who want to
                  > find answers about: "How to I most efficiently code xy"
                  > or do "z".
                  >
                  > [...]

                  I agree there's a problem. I think vim.org could do with
                  some modernising.

                  > Also would you be interested in joining and helping
                  > maintain such a git based wiki?

                  A wiki is a great idea. And they maintain themselves,
                  courtesy of those who give a shit. I think it should be on
                  vim.org though (I realise this is your ultimate intent too).

                  > Its not about writing comprehensive documentation, rather
                  > about creating an index about which tools are known to
                  > solve a problem. This can be completion, configuration,
                  > running a compiler and more.

                  Agreed. These questions come up *a lot*, and finding the
                  answers with Google is surprisingly difficult. What you get
                  are blog posts saying 'you can hack foo integration into Vim
                  with these custom mappings which happen to rely on custom
                  program x which is in my environment but you'll have to
                  compile it from source ...,' etc.

                  This isn't a criticism: because Vim is so customisable,
                  people can easily whip up their own systems which solve the
                  problem at hand but aren't always helpful for the beginner
                  (or seasoned professional!) trying to learn Python, for
                  example.

                  The current state of affairs is quite fragmented.
                  There's vim.org, the mailing list, the Vim tips wiki,
                  scripts on vim.org, other scripts on Github, discussion on
                  #vim, many questions on Stack Overflow .... Where to look?

                  Certainly I think the scripts section on vim.org needs
                  a thorough revamp.

                  > Feedback about this idea and ideas are welcome.

                  Well, I also think that vim.org would benefit from
                  a chatroom, Stack Overflow style. I've no doubt it
                  would be popular among new users of Vim. #vim has
                  loads of new users asking questions, and who uses IRC
                  these days? :-)

                  I think, given the enduring popularity of Vim, it needs
                  a centralised resource.

                  --Antony

                • Marc Weber
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 1, 2013
                    > with these custom mappings which happen to rely on custom
                    > program x which is in my environment but you'll have to
                    > compile it from source ...,' etc.
                    But that's not solved by a wiki - compiling from source is always work.
                    Its only solved by source friendly distributions like gentoo or
                    nixos.

                    > Well, I also think that vim.org would benefit from
                    > a chatroom, Stack Overflow style.
                    Stack Overflow is already being used.
                    http://webchat.freenode.net/
                    Information about how to use that

                    > loads of new users asking questions, and who uses IRC
                    > these days? :-)
                    Many people, join and see yourself.

                    > I think, given the enduring popularity of Vim, it needs
                    > a centralised resource.
                    Rewriting Vim is out of my scope - I've had plans to do so for months.
                    So I try to apply 20/80 rule again.

                    Thanks for joining and contributing ideas. A short irc howto is already
                    there now.

                    Marc Weber