Vim wiki editable by git

  • Marc Weber
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 24, 2013
      As you all know I wrote VAM to solve a problem: Vim plugins
      distribution.

      The Vim community suffers from a second problem:
      There are many plugins - some are outdated - and its sometimes hard to
      find the "jewels" - because they may be hosted on github only.
      There is a wiki, but its not integrated in the main site - neither is it
      easy for external people to hack on it just using what they know best:
      "Vim" (right?)

      For this reason I'd like to start a wiki like text file based git
      repository which summarizes the most useful tools (and maybe
      alternatives) so that people who want to find answers about:
      "How to I most efficiently code xy" or do "z".

      Of course vim help files come to mind, they already support links and
      code blocks - and there are existing tools to turn them into HTML
      (so that the contents can be pushed to www.vim.org one day) - still
      markup is little bit limited.

      Are there alternatives you'd choose for such an effort which can be
      translated to HTML easily and which can be edited and read by Vim, too?

      Also would you be interested in joining and helping maintain such a
      git based wiki?

      Its not about writing comprehensive documentation, rather about creating
      an index about which tools are known to solve a problem. This can be
      completion, configuration, running a compiler and more.

      Feedback about this idea and ideas are welcome.
      Marc Weber

    • ping
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 24, 2013
        On 2/24/2013 6:34 PM, Marc Weber wrote:
        > As you all know I wrote VAM to solve a problem: Vim plugins
        > distribution.
        >
        > The Vim community suffers from a second problem:
        > There are many plugins - some are outdated - and its sometimes hard to
        > find the "jewels" - because they may be hosted on github only.
        > There is a wiki, but its not integrated in the main site - neither is it
        > easy for external people to hack on it just using what they know best:
        > "Vim" (right?)
        >
        > For this reason I'd like to start a wiki like text file based git
        > repository which summarizes the most useful tools (and maybe
        > alternatives) so that people who want to find answers about:
        > "How to I most efficiently code xy" or do "z".
        >
        > Of course vim help files come to mind, they already support links and
        > code blocks - and there are existing tools to turn them into HTML
        > (so that the contents can be pushed to www.vim.org one day) - still
        > markup is little bit limited.
        >
        > Are there alternatives you'd choose for such an effort which can be
        > translated to HTML easily and which can be edited and read by Vim, too?
        >
        > Also would you be interested in joining and helping maintain such a
        > git based wiki?
        >
        > Its not about writing comprehensive documentation, rather about creating
        > an index about which tools are known to solve a problem. This can be
        > completion, configuration, running a compiler and more.
        >
        > Feedback about this idea and ideas are welcome.
        > Marc Weber

        I think this is a great idea!!
        can save people's a lot time when seeking for the "best plugins" to do a
        certain kind of work.
        I think we can call it a "vim best practice" project :)

        regards
        ping

      • Ben Fritz
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 24, 2013
          On Sunday, February 24, 2013 5:34:48 PM UTC-6, MarcWeber wrote:
          > As you all know I wrote VAM to solve a problem: Vim plugins
          >
          > distribution.
          >

          > The Vim community suffers from a second problem:
          >
          > There are many plugins - some are outdated - and its sometimes hard to
          >
          > find the "jewels" - because they may be hosted on github only.
          >
          > There is a wiki, but its not integrated in the main site - neither is it
          >
          > easy for external people to hack on it just using what they know best:
          >
          > "Vim" (right?)
          >

          > For this reason I'd like to start a wiki like text file based git
          >
          > repository which summarizes the most useful tools (and maybe
          >
          > alternatives) so that people who want to find answers about:
          >
          > "How to I most efficiently code xy" or do "z".
          >

          > Of course vim help files come to mind, they already support links and
          >
          > code blocks - and there are existing tools to turn them into HTML
          >
          > (so that the contents can be pushed to www.vim.org one day) - still
          >
          > markup is little bit limited.
          >

          > Are there alternatives you'd choose for such an effort which can be
          >
          > translated to HTML easily and which can be edited and read by Vim, too?
          >

          > Also would you be interested in joining and helping maintain such a
          >
          > git based wiki?
          >

          > Its not about writing comprehensive documentation, rather about creating
          >
          > an index about which tools are known to solve a problem. This can be
          >
          > completion, configuration, running a compiler and more.
          >

          > Feedback about this idea and ideas are welcome.
          >
          > Marc Weber

          I'd never use such a document, unless I stumbled across it in a web search.

          I will probably continue to get plugins (when I need them) from searching the web, seeing recommendations on this list, and seeing mentions on #vim on Freenode.

        • Jeroen Budts

            On 02/25/2013 12:34 AM, Marc Weber wrote:
            > As you all know I wrote VAM to solve a problem: Vim plugins
            > distribution.
            >
            > The Vim community suffers from a second problem: There are many
            > plugins - some are outdated - and its sometimes hard to find the
            > "jewels" - because they may be hosted on github only. There is a
            > wiki, but its not integrated in the main site - neither is it easy
            > for external people to hack on it just using what they know best:
            > "Vim" (right?)
            >
            > For this reason I'd like to start a wiki like text file based git
            > repository which summarizes the most useful tools (and maybe
            > alternatives) so that people who want to find answers about: "How
            > to I most efficiently code xy" or do "z".
            >
            > Of course vim help files come to mind, they already support links
            > and code blocks - and there are existing tools to turn them into
            > HTML (so that the contents can be pushed to www.vim.org one day) -
            > still markup is little bit limited.
            >
            > Are there alternatives you'd choose for such an effort which can
            > be translated to HTML easily and which can be edited and read by
            > Vim, too?
            >
            > Also would you be interested in joining and helping maintain such
            > a git based wiki?
            >
            > Its not about writing comprehensive documentation, rather about
            > creating an index about which tools are known to solve a problem.
            > This can be completion, configuration, running a compiler and
            > more.
            >
            > Feedback about this idea and ideas are welcome. Marc Weber

            Vimwiki immediately comes to my mind. It has nice syntax highlighting in
            Vim; supports most common markup such as bold, italic, 6 (?) levels of
            headers, quotes, lists, code blocks etc; It also supports linking to
            other pages, to external pages, to pages in other wiki's, to files etc.
            Vimwiki supports multiple syntaxes (default, markup, wikipedia). When
            using the default syntax you can easily export the entire wiki to HTML.
            It also let's you use your custom html template for that.
            I have been using vimwiki for a few years now to take notes and I really
            like how easy it is. Although I don't export to HTML, since I always
            read it in Vim.

            Jeroen

            - --
            website: http://budts.be/ - twitter: @teranex
            ___________________________________
            Registered Linux User #482240 - GetFirefox.com - ubuntu.com

          • Eric Weir
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 25, 2013
              On Feb 25, 2013, at 3:17 AM, Jeroen Budts wrote:

              > I have been using vimwiki for a few years now to take notes and I really
              > like how easy it is. Although I don't export to HTML, since I always
              > read it in Vim.

              When I am in vim I am mostly in vimwiki.

              One revelation of working with it has been that, at least in it, I can get along with just one folder. The key to that is the hypertext linking it provides. Previously I had relied on an elaborate file system evolved practically from my beginning to work with computers.

              That, of course, is with my own writing, and only with exploratory or unformatted part of it. With other people's documents ort my own finished work I still rely on the file system.

              Eric Weir
              eeweir@...

              β€œOn the basis of evidence we may be sure that we are wrong
              but we can never be sure that we are right.” - Richard Feynman

            • Marc Weber
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 25, 2013
                I've just started the effort:
                https://github.com/MarcWeber/vim-git-wiki

                Join, contribute and provide feedback. If everybody only adds
                information about what he/she knows best we'll have the greatest
                resource very fast. Then its time to put it online at www.vim.org if
                Bram agrees (I guess he will).

                Marc Weber

              • Eric Weir
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 25, 2013
                  On Feb 25, 2013, at 9:35 AM, Marc Weber <marco-oweber@...> wrote:

                  > If everybody only adds
                  > information about what he/she knows best we'll have the greatest
                  > resource very fast.

                  Should work. But how will you insure that it doesn't become just another complete, unselective collection, i.e., that only the best,plugins are included?

                  Eric Weir
                  Decatur, GA. USA

                  "The invincible shield of caring
                  is a weapon from the sky
                  against being dead."

                  – Tao Te Ching, 67

                • glts
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 26, 2013
                    Hi Marc

                    I made my own list of popular plugins recently. My approach was less
                    wiki, more "wikimatrix.org". Maybe you can find some useful ideas in
                    there:

                    http://glts.github.com/VimPluginMatrix/

                    Cheers, glts

                  • Marc Weber
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 26, 2013
                      > http://glts.github.com/VimPluginMatrix/
                      You're welcome to join and contribute. In which way does your list
                      differ from what www.vim.org provides?

                      Example: does it tell me why you starred pathogen and not Vundle or VAM
                      (using plugin management filter?)

                      You have both in the list: YouCompleteMe and neocomplcache - which one
                      do you use for what reason?

                      I think this is the information users are looking for.

                      I don't understand what PnP means. Probably you mean viml only - no need
                      to compile vim with python or external tools?

                      Marc Weber

                    • glts
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 26, 2013
                        Oh, it's just a personal list, something I could point a newcomer to. If
                        you take a look at "wikimatrix.org": I think that's an excellent format,
                        lots of tabular data points that you can compare directly with one
                        another.

                        I just tried to emulate that format in a primitive way. The date should
                        give some indication whether development is active, the "plug-and-play"
                        tick should tell you if you can just unzip/git clone and don't need
                        external dependencies/config, etc.

                      • Marc Weber
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 27, 2013
                          Excerpts from glts's message of Tue Feb 26 22:15:55 +0100 2013:
                          > Oh, it's just a personal list, something I could point a newcomer to. If
                          > you take a look at "wikimatrix.org": I think that's an excellent format,
                          > lots of tabular data points that you can compare directly with one
                          > another.
                          Which says nothing. Again - why do you prefer pathogen over the others?
                          Why is it starred? That's why your list is useless.

                          My goal is a guide like this:

                          A lot of people prefer X for this reason, others prefer Y for that
                          reason. Then people know which solution to choose and why without trying
                          everything and the kitchen sink.

                          Marc Weber

                        • Antony Scriven
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 28, 2013
                            On 24 February 2013 23:34, Marc Weber wrote:

                            > As you all know I wrote VAM to solve a problem: Vim plugins
                            > distribution.
                            >
                            > The Vim community suffers from a second problem: There
                            > are many plugins - some are outdated - and its sometimes
                            > hard to find the "jewels" - because they may be hosted on
                            > github only. There is a wiki, but its not integrated in
                            > the main site - neither is it easy for external people to
                            > hack on it just using what they know best: "Vim" (right?)
                            >
                            > For this reason I'd like to start a wiki like text file
                            > based git repository which summarizes the most useful
                            > tools (and maybe alternatives) so that people who want to
                            > find answers about: "How to I most efficiently code xy"
                            > or do "z".
                            >
                            > [...]

                            I agree there's a problem. I think vim.org could do with
                            some modernising.

                            > Also would you be interested in joining and helping
                            > maintain such a git based wiki?

                            A wiki is a great idea. And they maintain themselves,
                            courtesy of those who give a shit. I think it should be on
                            vim.org though (I realise this is your ultimate intent too).

                            > Its not about writing comprehensive documentation, rather
                            > about creating an index about which tools are known to
                            > solve a problem. This can be completion, configuration,
                            > running a compiler and more.

                            Agreed. These questions come up *a lot*, and finding the
                            answers with Google is surprisingly difficult. What you get
                            are blog posts saying 'you can hack foo integration into Vim
                            with these custom mappings which happen to rely on custom
                            program x which is in my environment but you'll have to
                            compile it from source ...,' etc.

                            This isn't a criticism: because Vim is so customisable,
                            people can easily whip up their own systems which solve the
                            problem at hand but aren't always helpful for the beginner
                            (or seasoned professional!) trying to learn Python, for
                            example.

                            The current state of affairs is quite fragmented.
                            There's vim.org, the mailing list, the Vim tips wiki,
                            scripts on vim.org, other scripts on Github, discussion on
                            #vim, many questions on Stack Overflow .... Where to look?

                            Certainly I think the scripts section on vim.org needs
                            a thorough revamp.

                            > Feedback about this idea and ideas are welcome.

                            Well, I also think that vim.org would benefit from
                            a chatroom, Stack Overflow style. I've no doubt it
                            would be popular among new users of Vim. #vim has
                            loads of new users asking questions, and who uses IRC
                            these days? :-)

                            I think, given the enduring popularity of Vim, it needs
                            a centralised resource.

                            --Antony

                          • Marc Weber
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 1 3:06 AM
                              > with these custom mappings which happen to rely on custom
                              > program x which is in my environment but you'll have to
                              > compile it from source ...,' etc.
                              But that's not solved by a wiki - compiling from source is always work.
                              Its only solved by source friendly distributions like gentoo or
                              nixos.

                              > Well, I also think that vim.org would benefit from
                              > a chatroom, Stack Overflow style.
                              Stack Overflow is already being used.
                              http://webchat.freenode.net/
                              Information about how to use that

                              > loads of new users asking questions, and who uses IRC
                              > these days? :-)
                              Many people, join and see yourself.

                              > I think, given the enduring popularity of Vim, it needs
                              > a centralised resource.
                              Rewriting Vim is out of my scope - I've had plans to do so for months.
                              So I try to apply 20/80 rule again.

                              Thanks for joining and contributing ideas. A short irc howto is already
                              there now.

                              Marc Weber