Manually creating a vim setup for installation on and ipad

  • Eric Weir
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 23, 2013

      I'm trying to manually create a streamlined vim setup for installation on an ipad. I'll do it in a folder called "vim," which, once it's set up, I'll make into a vimball, upload to the vim app on the ipad via itunes, and then extract with the vim app.

      A couple of questions: [1] Most basic, will this work? [

      2] I've unzipped three plugins in the vim folder. That leaves all the plugin files in unzipped plugin folders, from which I assume the vim app will not be able to source them. Should I move the plugin files in those folders into the corresponding folders in the vim folder? I.e., "vimwiki.vim" from /vim/vimwiki-2-0-1.zip Folder/plugin to /vim/plugin?

      Thanks,
      Eric Weir

      "With an ounce of willingness, everything can change."

      - Kim

    • Bee
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 23, 2013
        On Feb 23, 4:19 pm, Eric Weir <eew...@...> wrote:
        > I'm trying to manually create a streamlined vim setup for installation on an ipad. I'll do it in a folder called "vim," which, once it's set up, I'll make into a vimball, upload to the vim app on the ipad via itunes, and then extract with the vim app.
        >
        > A couple of questions: [1] Most basic, will this work? [
        >
        > 2] I've unzipped three plugins in the vim folder. That leaves all the plugin files in unzipped plugin folders, from which I assume the vim app will not be able to source them. Should I move the plugin files in those folders into the corresponding folders in the vim folder? I.e., "vimwiki.vim" from /vim/vimwiki-2-0-1.zip Folder/plugin to /vim/plugin?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Eric Weir
        >
        > "With an ounce of willingness, everything can change."
        >
        > - Kim

        That should be the .vim/plugin folder.
        I manually moved one of my plugins to the .vim/plugin folder, after
        manually making the plugin folder, and it works.

        Bill

      • Eric Weir
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 24, 2013
          On Feb 23, 2013, at 9:07 PM, Bee <forth@...> wrote:

          > That should be the .vim/plugin folder.

          I was going to rename the vim folder after I extracting it from the vimball. I should do it before creating the vimball?

          > I manually moved one of my plugins to the .vim/plugin folder, after
          > manually making the plugin folder, and it works.

          As a vimball? Or is it in fact possible to move a folder into the app? I do recall seeing folders I created with the vim app in the iTunes entry for the app? If I can download them, as that suggest, I can upload them?

          A fundamental question about vim: Is the .vim folder required for vim to run, or is it provided just for the purpose of adding functionality to vim? The vim app appears not to have one. Or maybe it's hidden?

          Eric Weir
          Decatur, GA. USA

          "The invincible shield of caring
          is a weapon from the sky
          against being dead."

          – Tao Te Ching, 67

        • Eric Weir
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2013
            On Feb 24, 2013, at 6:53 AM, Eric Weir wrote:

            > On Feb 23, 2013, at 9:07 PM, Bee <forth@...> wrote:
            >
            >> That should be the .vim/plugin folder.
            >
            > I was going to rename the vim folder after I extracting it from the vimball. I should do it before creating the vimball?
            >
            >> I manually moved one of my plugins to the .vim/plugin folder, after
            >> manually making the plugin folder, and it works.
            >
            > As a vimball? Or is it in fact possible to move a folder into the app? I do recall seeing folders I created with the vim app in the iTunes entry for the app? If I can download them, as that suggest, I can upload them?
            >
            > A fundamental question about vim: Is the .vim folder required for vim to run, or is it provided just for the purpose of adding functionality to vim? The vim app appears not to have one. Or maybe it's hidden?

            I'm curious about the answer to my question about the .vim folder. Would there be anything in it if one had installed no plugins?

            Thanks,
            Eric Weir
            eeweir@...

            “On the basis of evidence we may be sure that we are wrong
            but we can never be sure that we are right.”

            > - Richard Feynman

          • Eric Weir
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 3, 2013
              On Mar 2, 2013, at 2:58 PM, Eric Weir wrote:

              > I'm curious about the answer to my question about the .vim folder. Would there be anything in it if one had installed no plugins?

              Never mind. I got the answer.

              Eric Weir
              Decatur, GA USA
              eeweir@...

              "Imagining the other is a powerful antidote to fanaticism and hatred."

              - Amos Oz