Re: _vimrc not run when invoking gvim on text file from context menu

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 22, 2013
      On Thursday, February 21, 2013 11:54:07 AM UTC-6, Paul wrote:
      > There are restrictions that a solution would have to observe. First
      >
      > is that I don't have admin privileges, so I can only stick _vimrc in
      >
      > places where $USERNAME can write. Also, $HOME is not a good place for
      >
      > it because it is set to a network drive.

      How about putting a very bare-bones .vimrc in $HOME, which just sets the runtimepath to somewhere else (local) and then sources your local .vimrc. You could even detect Windows vs. Unix/Cygwin and do something different for each.

    • Paul
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 27 4:58 PM
        On Feb 22, 1:14 pm, Ben Fritz <fritzophre...@...> wrote:
        > On Thursday, February 21, 2013 11:54:07 AM UTC-6, Paul wrote:
        > > There are restrictions that a solution would have to observe.  First
        >
        > > is that I don't have admin privileges, so I can only stick _vimrc in
        >
        > > places where $USERNAME can write.  Also, $HOME is not a good place for
        >
        > > it because it is set to a network drive.
        >
        > How about putting a very bare-bones .vimrc in $HOME, which just sets the runtimepath to somewhere else (local) and then sources your local .vimrc. You could even detect Windows vs. Unix/Cygwin and do something different for each.

        My apologies for the long overdue response. Thanks, but the problem
        with putting a bare .vimrc at $HOME is that I'm not always connected
        to the network. I managed to solve the problem by setting $VIMINIT as
        a Windows environment variable.