Re: How to "fold more" only over specified range of lines

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 22, 2013
      On Friday, February 22, 2013 9:24:57 AM UTC-6, Paul wrote:
      > For vim folds, "zm" and "zr" decreases and increases the depth of
      >
      > visible folds. Is there a way to modify the folds in this manner but
      >
      > only over a range of lines (perhaps delineated by 'a and 'b)?

      I don't know of a command to do this. If there is not one listed at :help fold-commands, it probably doesn't exist.

      It might be possible to script such a command, making use of the :foldopen and :foldclose commands. But this isn't a trivial task; I don't know of an easy way to get a list of all folds on a line and the depth, for nested folds. You can look at $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/2html.vim for how the fold information in a file is found and stored in usable form. If there's an easier way to do it I'd love to know about it.

    • Paul
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 22, 2013
        On Feb 22, 12:12 pm, Ben Fritz <fritzophre...@...> wrote:
        >On Friday, February 22, 2013 9:24:57 AM UTC-6, Paul wrote:
        >> For vim folds, "zm" and "zr" decreases and increases the depth of
        >>
        >> visible folds. Is there a way to modify the folds in this manner
        >> but
        >>
        >> only over a range of lines (perhaps delineated by 'a and 'b)?
        >
        > I don't know of a command to do this. If there is not one listed at
        > :help fold-commands, it probably doesn't exist.
        >
        > It might be possible to script such a command, making use of the
        > :foldopen and :foldclose commands. But this isn't a trivial task; I
        > don't know of an easy way to get a list of all folds on a line and
        > the depth, for nested folds. You can look at
        > $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/2html.vim for how the fold information in a file
        > is found and stored in usable form. If there's an easier way to do
        > it I'd love to know about it.

        For now, I think I'll just apply :foldopen and :foldclose to line
        ranges instead. Thanks.