Re: vim script: repeat(\ )

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 21, 2013
      On Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:34:17 AM UTC-6, ping wrote:
      > On 2/20/2013 4:36 PM, Ben Fritz wrote:
      >
      > > Your mapping should look like:
      >

      > > :nnore <expr> ,gg ':'.MyGit("new post")
      >
      > that really works!, so looks the key here is
      >
      > 1) use <expr> as you mentioned,
      >
      > 2) use ":" . func()
      >
      > 3) return the command string from the func
      >

      > great to learn!
      >

      > > Then your command can look something like:
      >

      > > :command! MyGit exec MyGit(<q-args>)
      >
      > this also works, but
      >
      > it seems the exec helps to
      >
      > 1) evaluate the expression, but also
      >
      > 2) execute the result right away.
      >
      > is there a way to evaluate the express (1) , but not to "execute"
      >
      > them(2) , in "command" ?
      >

      > none of these works...
      >
      > command! -nargs=* MyGit call MyGit(<q-args>)
      >
      > command! -nargs=* MyGit eval(":" . MyGit(<q-args>))

      For that, I'd use an <expr> cabbrev similar to your <expr> map.

      Then you would type :MyGit<Space> and it would expand to something completely different which you could then edit, or you could type :MyGit<Enter> to execute the default.

      A similar cabbrev technique is used here for vimgrep:

      http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Find_in_files_within_Vim

    • ping
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 21, 2013
        On 02/21/2013 11:04 AM, Ben Fritz wrote:
        > For that, I'd use an <expr> cabbrev similar to your <expr> map.
        >
        > Then you would type :MyGit<Space> and it would expand to something completely different which you could then edit, or you could type :MyGit<Enter> to execute the default.
        >
        > A similar cabbrev technique is used here for vimgrep:
        >
        > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Find_in_files_within_Vim
        thanks! that's also helpful info.
        I'll try that.