Re: wide letter spacing when using gvim (GUI mode)

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 20, 2013
      On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:21:54 PM UTC-6, alexdongli wrote:
      > Ben,
      >

      > I tried and 4 fonts showed up: DejaVu Sans, Monospace, Sans, Serif, same as if I use GUI's menu to set the font. I have tried each of them but it does not work either.
      >
      > I wishes I had the root access to our company linux servers so that I could compile vim with multi-byte disabled. Too many libraries/headers are missing for me to compile gvim myself.
      >

      > Thank you very much for your help anyway!

      There should be absolutely no need to strip out multibyte support. Thousands of people use gvim with multibyte every day without ever seeing your issue.

      Can you please respond with what font name Vim is actually using, the output of :set guifont? and :echo getfontname() as I mentioned before? We may still be able to help.

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 20, 2013
        On 20/02/13 21:21, Alex Dong Li wrote:
        > Ben,
        >
        > I tried and 4 fonts showed up: DejaVu Sans, Monospace, Sans, Serif, same
        > as if I use GUI's menu to set the font. I have tried each of them but it
        > does not work either.
        > I wishes I had the root access to our company linux servers so that I
        > could compile vim with multi-byte disabled. Too many libraries/headers
        > are missing for me to compile gvim myself.
        >
        > Thank you very much for your help anyway!
        >
        > Alex.

        If ":set gfn=*" shows only those four and nothing else (and no way to
        scroll to bring more font names into view) and what is called Monospace
        on your computer is what you showed in the gvim screenshot, then it
        means there is _no_ monospaced font on your computer that gvim can see
        (that font in the gvim screenshot isn't a monospace font: it's a
        proportional sans-serif font, maybe "DejaVu Sans" but not "DejaVu Sans
        Mono" which would be the "real" monospaced font in the same family).

        So, you could either complain to your sysadmin, that there is no
        fixed-width typewriter-like font that you can reach from gvim…

        …or use console vim. Or, on Linux, use gvim in console mode by means of
        a softlink, to make sure you have a full-featured Console Vim with X11
        support:

        pushd ~/bin
        ln -sv `which vim` vim-orig
        ln -sv `which gvim` vim
        popd

        "All my friends and I are crazy. That's the only thing that keeps us
        sane."

      • Alex Dong Li
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 20, 2013
          I think Tony has got the point: Monospace on my system is a proportional font, not a width-fixed font. Sorry for my wrong assumption! As matter of the fact, I do not have any width-fixed fonts available to gvim.

          Thank everyone who has helped very much! Also sorry for sending file attachments to everyone!

          Alex.

        • John Little
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 20, 2013
            On Thursday, February 21, 2013 9:21:54 AM UTC+13, alexdongli wrote:
            > I wishes I had the root access to our company linux servers so that I could >compile vim with multi-byte disabled. Too many libraries/headers are missing >for me to compile gvim myself.

            You don't need root access to install a font for your own use.
            - Download a .ttf or .otf to wherever.
            - With KDE, open it with kfontviewer, click install, click personal.
            - With Gnome3, I think nautilus has support. Gnome 2 had gnome-font-viewer.

            This just copies the font file to .fonts in your home directory, in a directory whose name is the first letter of the font file name. I just downloaded monofur.ttf, and copied it to ~/.fonts/m, and gvim found it without further ado. (Unpleasant font, IMO).

            Regards, John Little