Re: ios vim and plugins

  • Eric Weir
    Message 1 of 46 , Feb 20, 2013
      On Feb 20, 2013, at 3:45 PM, David Sanson wrote:

      > On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 1:43:06 PM UTC-6, Eric Weir wrote:
      >
      >> Sure would be an easier way to get plugins installed than trying to do it through netrw.
      >
      > And this is just the basic problem with the current Vim.app on iOS: it provides no reasonable way to get documents (including plugins) in and out.
      >
      >> And I guess a second request: Is there something more user-friendly than netrw help that would help me learn how to do basic things on netrw?
      >
      > You have to realize that most of the functionality of netrw is not available on iOS. All the "net" functions depend on external helper apps (git, ssh, ftp, curl, etc), and those are not available to the iOS app. So it is just a matter of poking around and seeing which of the local file/folder management commands happen to be implemented in pure vimscript.

      Thanks, David. Yeah, without a way to get documents in and out, except on a file-by-file basis through itunes, vim is not very useful. Given the overlap of software development talent between vim and osx/ios I would have expected more interest and more progress in solving the problems.

      Regarding netrw, my interest is in local file management only, especially moving files between folders. netrw help is difficult for a non-programmer vim novice.

      Eric Weir
      Decatur, GA
      eeweir@...

      "What does it mean...that the world is so beautiful?"

      - Mary Oliver

    • Aaron Ponce
      Message 46 of 46 , Nov 14, 2013
        On Friday, February 22, 2013 9:45:48 AM UTC-5, Eric Weir wrote:
        > On Feb 21, 2013, at 4:21 PM, Charles E Campbell <drchip@...> wrote:
        >

        > > Netrw is not asking for confirmation, its asking you to provide the new name. Thus the "Moving (curfilename) to (curfilename)" message, which you can edit (or not, which is the "future" to which I jocularly referred to above). Netrw doesn't change the message afterwards, it leaves it on the display.
        >

        > > The "renaming" operation has always worked that way; and it actually is a move.
        >

        > Thanks, Charles. It appears I did misremember.

        > Eric Weir
        >
        > Decatur, GA. USA
        >

        > "The invincible shield of caring
        >
        > is a weapon from the sky
        >
        > against being dead."
        >

        > – Tao Te Ching, 67

        Any news on vim for iOS? I have been using it for its outliner mode, which I really like, but some of the same issues came up for me that were mentioned in these posts. Mainly, dealing with files, deleting directories, and trying to find a way to sync files.

        Just wondering if anyone had found any workarounds, solutions lately.

        AP