Re: ios vim and plugins

  • David Sanson
    Message 1 of 46 , Feb 20, 2013
      On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 1:43:06 PM UTC-6, Eric Weir wrote:

      > When I try to delete a folder in the vim app I get a several line error message, the first line of which is "cannot fork." Does this mean you can create folders in vim on the ipad but you can't delete them?

      Looks that way. Apparently netrw calls some external process to delete directories.

      > If I managed to get a plugin manager installed that goes out to the web, locates plugins, and installs them, would it work?

      Not if that manager relies on some external process (git, wget, curl, etc) to go out on the web. None of that stuff is available to the Vim.app.

      > Or would it violate Apple's rules for what can be done in ios apps?

      Fetching stuff from the web doesn't violate Apple's rules. Installing and calling unix cli programs does. So for this to even begin to work, someone needs to integrate support for the relevant web protocol directly into the App.

      > Sure would be an easier way to get plugins installed than trying to do it through netrw.

      And this is just the basic problem with the current Vim.app on iOS: it provides no reasonable way to get documents (including plugins) in and out.

      > And I guess a second request: Is there something more user-friendly than netrw help that would help me learn how to do basic things on netrw?

      You have to realize that most of the functionality of netrw is not available on iOS. All the "net" functions depend on external helper apps (git, ssh, ftp, curl, etc), and those are not available to the iOS app. So it is just a matter of poking around and seeing which of the local file/folder management commands happen to be implemented in pure vimscript.

    • Aaron Ponce
      Message 46 of 46 , Nov 14, 2013
        On Friday, February 22, 2013 9:45:48 AM UTC-5, Eric Weir wrote:
        > On Feb 21, 2013, at 4:21 PM, Charles E Campbell <drchip@...> wrote:
        >

        > > Netrw is not asking for confirmation, its asking you to provide the new name. Thus the "Moving (curfilename) to (curfilename)" message, which you can edit (or not, which is the "future" to which I jocularly referred to above). Netrw doesn't change the message afterwards, it leaves it on the display.
        >

        > > The "renaming" operation has always worked that way; and it actually is a move.
        >

        > Thanks, Charles. It appears I did misremember.

        > Eric Weir
        >
        > Decatur, GA. USA
        >

        > "The invincible shield of caring
        >
        > is a weapon from the sky
        >
        > against being dead."
        >

        > – Tao Te Ching, 67

        Any news on vim for iOS? I have been using it for its outliner mode, which I really like, but some of the same issues came up for me that were mentioned in these posts. Mainly, dealing with files, deleting directories, and trying to find a way to sync files.

        Just wondering if anyone had found any workarounds, solutions lately.

        AP