Re: vim: map a key to "conditionally" override built-in behavior

  • ping
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 19, 2013
      On 2/19/2013 5:50 PM, ping wrote:
      > On 2/19/2013 4:20 AM, Paul Isambert wrote:
      >> You can use <expr> to define a mapping with a function:
      >>
      >> function! <SID>Map()
      >> if line(".") == 1 && wincol(".") == 1
      "this works, thanks!
      if line(".") == 1 && virtcol(".") == 1
      >> return ":q\r"
      >> else
      >> return "h"
      >> endif
      >> endfunction
      >>
      >> nnoremap <expr> h <SID>Map()
      > thanks!
      >
      > I still don't fully understand the theory of this <SID> thing (even
      > read : help <SID>)
      > but per my test this doesn't work well.
      > it's weird that echo wincol() starting from 7, instead of 1, when I
      > move my cursor to the leftmost column.
      >
      > regards
      > ping

    • Paul Isambert
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 20, 2013
        ping <songpingemail@...> a écrit:
        > On 2/19/2013 4:20 AM, Paul Isambert wrote:
        > > You can use <expr> to define a mapping with a function:
        > >
        > > function! <SID>Map()
        > > if line(".") == 1 && wincol(".") == 1
        > > return ":q\r"
        > > else
        > > return "h"
        > > endif
        > > endfunction
        > >
        > > nnoremap <expr> h <SID>Map()
        > thanks!
        >
        > I still don't fully understand the theory of this <SID> thing (even read
        > : help <SID>)
        > but per my test this doesn't work well.

        Quite normal it doesn’t work, I made a mistake and mixed two versions.
        The conditional should be either (to trigger the special mapping when
        in the upper left corner of the window):

        if winline() == 1 && wincol() - (&number ? &numberwidth : 0) == 1

        or (to trigger the mapping in the upper left corner of the file):

        if line(".") == 1 && col(".") == 1

        As for <SID>: the “real name” of a <SID>-prefixed function is that
        function’s name with a prefix unique to the script, so that in script
        Foo “<SID>MyFunc()” is e.g. “<SNR>22_MyFunc()” and in script Bar
        “<SID>MyFunc()” is e.g. “<SNR>47_MyFunc()”. In the script itself, the
        script’s author can use <SID> without bothering to define a unique
        prefix; the automatic replacement then ensures that functions with the
        same names don’t clash outside the script.

        > it's weird that echo wincol() starting from 7, instead of 1, when I move
        > my cursor to the leftmost column.

        That’s because wincol() really starts counting at the window’s left
        side, before line numbers.

        Best,
        Paul