Re: mapping a substitute for the Esc key?

  • darkweasel
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 19, 2013
      Am 2013-02-19 21:54, schrieb Tim Chase:
      > On 2013-02-19 11:41, Chris Lott wrote:
      >> On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 9:04 AM, Steve Litt
      >> <slitt@...> wrote:
      >>> I'm actually thinking of using jf. The jk sequence seems a little
      >>> slow/tiring because I have to reposition the hand in a weird way.
      >>
      >> Most who type in classical position have jk under their index and
      >> middle finger, making it easy to rapidly type the two. kj would be
      >> the most "natural" for me, but it occurs in just enough words to be
      >> irritating...
      >
      > You type "blackjack", "lockjaw" or "Reykjavik" that often? ;-)
      >
      > -tim

      There might be other languages where that combination is more common. ;)

    • Tim Chase
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 19, 2013
        On 2013-02-19 11:41, Chris Lott wrote:
        > On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 9:04 AM, Steve Litt
        > <slitt@...> wrote:
        > > I'm actually thinking of using jf. The jk sequence seems a little
        > > slow/tiring because I have to reposition the hand in a weird way.
        >
        > Most who type in classical position have jk under their index and
        > middle finger, making it easy to rapidly type the two. kj would be
        > the most "natural" for me, but it occurs in just enough words to be
        > irritating...

        You type "blackjack", "lockjaw" or "Reykjavik" that often? ;-)

        -tim

      • Grahame Blackwood
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 21, 2013
          On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 09:37 PM, Steve Litt <slitt@...> wrote:

          > from: Steve Litt <slitt@...>
          > date: Thu, Feb 21 04:37 PM -05:00 2013
          > to: Grahame Blackwood <grahameblackwood@...>
          > subject: Re: mapping a substitute for the Esc key?
          >
          > On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 16:41:14 +0000
          > Grahame Blackwood <grahameblackwood@...> wrote:
          >
          >> On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 10:54 PM, Steve Litt
          >> <slitt@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> > from: Steve Litt <slitt@...>
          >> > date: Mon, Feb 18 05:54 PM -05:00 2013
          >> > to: vim_use@...
          >> > reply-to: vim_use@...
          >> > subject: mapping a substitute for the Esc key?
          >> >
          >> > Hi all,
          >> >
          >> > I injured my left middle finger and can no longer extend it.
          >> > Therefore, hitting the Esc key to get out of insert mode stops my
          >> > work in its tracks.
          >> >
          >> > Question for all of you: What's your favorite substitute for Esc,
          >> > whether a keystroke, key combination, or key sequence?
          >> >
          >> > Thanks
          >> >
          >> > SteveT
          >> >
          >> Hi Steve
          >>
          >> Sorry to hear about your injury and hope your finger improves soon.
          >>
          >> I tried replying to the vim_use list but my email hasn't shown up.
          >>
          >> My preferred substitute for esc is ;; as on my keyboard it falls under
          >> my right little finger. I either hit it twice or sometimes just hold
          >> it down until vim exits insert mode.
          >>
          >> Cheers

          > Thanks Graham. I finally settled on jf, but ;; would have been pretty
          > good too.
          >
          > I think I know your name from a list other than the Vim list: LyX, Lua,
          > something like that?
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Steve

          Hi Steve

          Probably Vimoutliner or Lyx. We have also corresponded about your Umenu system
          which I use every day, so thank you for developing it and also
          Vimoutliner - both very useful tools.

          Cheers