Re: mapping a substitute for the Esc key?

  • Chris Lott
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 19, 2013
      On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 9:04 AM, Steve Litt <slitt@...> wrote:
      > I'm actually thinking of using jf. The jk sequence seems a little
      > slow/tiring because I have to reposition the hand in a weird way.

      Most who type in classical position have jk under their index and
      middle finger, making it easy to rapidly type the two. kj would be the
      most "natural" for me, but it occurs in just enough words to be
      irritating...

      Chris Lott <chris@...>

    • darkweasel
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 19, 2013
        Am 2013-02-19 21:54, schrieb Tim Chase:
        > On 2013-02-19 11:41, Chris Lott wrote:
        >> On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 9:04 AM, Steve Litt
        >> <slitt@...> wrote:
        >>> I'm actually thinking of using jf. The jk sequence seems a little
        >>> slow/tiring because I have to reposition the hand in a weird way.
        >>
        >> Most who type in classical position have jk under their index and
        >> middle finger, making it easy to rapidly type the two. kj would be
        >> the most "natural" for me, but it occurs in just enough words to be
        >> irritating...
        >
        > You type "blackjack", "lockjaw" or "Reykjavik" that often? ;-)
        >
        > -tim

        There might be other languages where that combination is more common. ;)

      • Tim Chase
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 19, 2013
          On 2013-02-19 11:41, Chris Lott wrote:
          > On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 9:04 AM, Steve Litt
          > <slitt@...> wrote:
          > > I'm actually thinking of using jf. The jk sequence seems a little
          > > slow/tiring because I have to reposition the hand in a weird way.
          >
          > Most who type in classical position have jk under their index and
          > middle finger, making it easy to rapidly type the two. kj would be
          > the most "natural" for me, but it occurs in just enough words to be
          > irritating...

          You type "blackjack", "lockjaw" or "Reykjavik" that often? ;-)

          -tim

        • Grahame Blackwood
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 21, 2013
            On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 09:37 PM, Steve Litt <slitt@...> wrote:

            > from: Steve Litt <slitt@...>
            > date: Thu, Feb 21 04:37 PM -05:00 2013
            > to: Grahame Blackwood <grahameblackwood@...>
            > subject: Re: mapping a substitute for the Esc key?
            >
            > On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 16:41:14 +0000
            > Grahame Blackwood <grahameblackwood@...> wrote:
            >
            >> On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 10:54 PM, Steve Litt
            >> <slitt@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> > from: Steve Litt <slitt@...>
            >> > date: Mon, Feb 18 05:54 PM -05:00 2013
            >> > to: vim_use@...
            >> > reply-to: vim_use@...
            >> > subject: mapping a substitute for the Esc key?
            >> >
            >> > Hi all,
            >> >
            >> > I injured my left middle finger and can no longer extend it.
            >> > Therefore, hitting the Esc key to get out of insert mode stops my
            >> > work in its tracks.
            >> >
            >> > Question for all of you: What's your favorite substitute for Esc,
            >> > whether a keystroke, key combination, or key sequence?
            >> >
            >> > Thanks
            >> >
            >> > SteveT
            >> >
            >> Hi Steve
            >>
            >> Sorry to hear about your injury and hope your finger improves soon.
            >>
            >> I tried replying to the vim_use list but my email hasn't shown up.
            >>
            >> My preferred substitute for esc is ;; as on my keyboard it falls under
            >> my right little finger. I either hit it twice or sometimes just hold
            >> it down until vim exits insert mode.
            >>
            >> Cheers

            > Thanks Graham. I finally settled on jf, but ;; would have been pretty
            > good too.
            >
            > I think I know your name from a list other than the Vim list: LyX, Lua,
            > something like that?
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Steve

            Hi Steve

            Probably Vimoutliner or Lyx. We have also corresponded about your Umenu system
            which I use every day, so thank you for developing it and also
            Vimoutliner - both very useful tools.

            Cheers