Re: Using vimdiff for merging with Unison File Synchronizer

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 19, 2013
      On Tuesday, February 19, 2013 7:08:21 AM UTC-6, erwin.g...@... wrote:
      > Hi
      >
      > The File Synchronizer Unison has the possibility to merge two versions of a file both of which have been changed. Unison is perfect for use in a shell, so using it with vim as the merging tool would be perfect, too. The problem is that using a simple
      > "vimdiff CURRENT1 CURRENT2"
      > just does not start vim. The two best links regarding this are the following:
      >
      > http://trembits.blogspot.co.at/2010/02/merging-unison-conflict-with-vim.html
      > http://hash-bang.net/2009/08/ia-merging-unison/
      >
      > Their solutions are workarounds, one starts a screen-Session, the other uses gvimdiff. But it would be better to have it working directly in the terminal session.
      > So my question is, does anybody know what kind of problem this is?
      > I've tried some options like -debug or -V, but there is no possibility to get more information out of it.

      Maybe vimdiff is an alias which is not being used, or a script not on the path, or something like that?

      Try vim -d CURRENT1 CURRENT2 to launch Vim in diff mode a different way.

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 20, 2013
        Thank you Ben

        This is not the problem, I am using vimdiff 100 times a day and I tried vim with -d, -D, -T "ansi", -V. Using "xterm -e vimdiff ..." works, but opens a new xterm, which I think is not optimal. (also see the links I provided)

        Maybe vim does not recognize that it already has a terminal for output, but I really have no clue!

      • Ben Fritz
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 20, 2013
          On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:24:10 AM UTC-6, erwin.g...@... wrote:
          > Thank you Ben
          >
          > This is not the problem, I am using vimdiff 100 times a day and I tried vim with -d, -D, -T "ansi", -V. Using "xterm -e vimdiff ..." works, but opens a new xterm, which I think is not optimal. (also see the links I provided)
          >
          > Maybe vim does not recognize that it already has a terminal for output, but I really have no clue!

          All the tools I see which actually worked in those links you provided were GUI apps (including GVIM) or a brand new invocation of a terminal. Unison doesn't need a GUI app for its diff program, does it?

          :help -f says that it only affects the GUI Vim, so the problem isn't forking. I wonder if Vim is having trouble detecting the right terminal? It looks like you tried -T "ansi", do you know this to be correct?

          I almost never use Vim in a terminal, I almost always use gvim even on Linux, so I'm not going to be much further help here, sad to say.